Cadets 2017

10 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

No apology needed!!!   That BD uni, when it made its debut in 1976, was so cool.

In the "useless drum corps trivia" department... DCA's Westshoremen ended up acquiring the BD satin-blouse uni after the Devils made the switch in 1976. I think Westshore had those old BD uniforms through the 1979 season. By then, some of the satin blouses were definitely showing their age.  LOL.

Hey, be careful there.

We have to consider Brian Tolzman's (Northern Thunder) feelings about what he does so expertly. :-) 

Edited by xandandl

To summarzize... Corps have won DCI Titles, and others have medaled, over the years in all manner of attire. So far, there is no evidence whatsoever to support the notion that one style of attire is more preferable over any other with the DCI judges. We say this in the context that some of the DCI judges have judged the Championships for decades.

Carry on......

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

To summarzize... Corps have won DCI Titles, and others have medaled, over the years in all manner of attire. So far, there is no evidence whatsoever to support the notion that one style of attire is more preferable over any other with the DCI judges. We say this in the context that some of the DCI judges have judged the Championships for decades.

Carry on......

Sometimes on DCP it seems more like causing :"carrion..":whistle:

Edited by xandandl

This debate over whether the uniform influences competitive outcome is amusing.  Doesn't change the fact that the Cadets' will be changing their look.  While I will always hold the traditional West Point style in high regard, this is probably overdue.  I understand and respect why some (especially alumni) would rather keep things as is, but it's the direction the activity is heading.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

This debate over whether the uniform influences competitive outcome is amusing.  Doesn't change the fact that the Cadets' will be changing their look.  While I will always hold the traditional West Point style in high regard, this is probably overdue.  I understand and respect why some (especially alumni) would rather keep things as is, but it's the direction the activity is heading.  

At Least Boston asked their alumni and legacy fans alike FIRST before making a uniform decision...just sayin' :whistle:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

So far, there is no evidence whatsoever to support the notion that one style of attire is more preferable over any other with the DCI judges.

Yet, the last two Cadets championships its uniforms were radically changed to fit the show theme and to garner visual and GE points, but there's NO evidence to support the notion that creating a complete thematic palette would influence judging.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

So, who will have military style uniforms in DCI in 2017, or at least something close to it? Boston Crusaders, anyone else?

My understanding is that the Boston Crusaders will have a completely new " progressive " styled uniform ( or " costume " if one prefers ) for 2017. My guess, BAC's new costuming will not rankle their Alums quite as much as the Cadets Alums, as the Cadets have won DCI Titles, and medaled in theirs, and the Cadets uniforms have been essentially unchanged for over 80 years ( until 2 season's ago ). Boston's uniforms have changed much more than the Cadets too over the last 75 years.. which will probably allow their Alums and long time fans to adjust to any " progressive " costuming that might surface with them. But who really knows. Only time will tell.

I think Battalion will have Boston's former uniforms in competition in DCI this season. As for other Corps with " military style uniforms", few remain that fit my personal definition of this term, but there may be a few other Corps that DCP'ers  might be able to name that will have this style of attire that fits their personal definition and will be competing this summer in this style of attire.

Edited by BRASSO

19 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

So, who will have military style uniforms in DCI in 2017, or at least something close to it? Boston Crusaders, anyone else?

There is no telling at this time with any certainty what Boston is going to come out with.  There has been a strong sense they are making significant changes.  I don't think either Boston of Cadets will follow Bluecoats lead in major changes to the degree the Bluecoats did, but Bluecoats change may be the catalyst for significant changes to uniforms/costumes for both orgs.  I have to believe Boston and Cadets will make changes each group feels is appropriate for them, and their program for the year.  And a move away for the traditional cadet style uniform would not be surprising in the least.  I am especially excited and curious about both groups this year.

I don't think there is much disagreement that a very small number of Insiders within the DCI Community are moving the Corps away from traditional uniforms to WGI styled costuming, as these DCI insiders are marinated in the WGI world. That said, as mentioned, there is no evidence that the DCI Judging community is influenced by one style of attire being worn on the field, over others. We can say this with a degree of certainty, as one look at all the DCI Champions, and their medalists over the years, and the wide diversity of attire styles worn by all these Corps is both striking and telling, imo.

Edited by BRASSO