Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Hey, be careful there.

We have to consider Brian Tolzman's (Northern Thunder) feelings about what he does so expertly. :-) 

Heh... the difference is, Brian's trivia has some value. Mine, you can line a birdcage with it.  :tongue:

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

That said, as mentioned, there is no evidence that the DCI Judging community is influenced by one style of attire being worn on the field, over others. We can say this with a degree of certainty, as one look at all the DCI Champions, and their medalists over the years, and the wide diversity of attire styles worn by all these Corps is both striking and telling, imo.

Nobody disagreed with you the last 5 times you said it. 

For me the issue is less breaking from tradition, and more new style uniforms just not being well designed. There was a reason Vanguard looked so good on the field last year.

44 minutes ago, aLittleBird said:

Nobody disagreed with you the last 5 times you said it. 

I wasn't counting, not sure it was " 5 times " but if you were counting, then no disagreement from me on the number. Incidentally, guess how many times " the G7 " has been injected into thread topics that have no relationship to "the G7 " dead concept ?. My guess, 50 times or more the last 2 years alone... but I wasn't counting the numbers of " G7 " irrelevant posts here on DCP, but maybe you might know, as you seem pretty up on the numbers of times things are mentioned here on DCP.

Edited by BRASSO

15 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

For me the issue is less breaking from tradition, and more new style uniforms just not being well designed. There was a reason Vanguard looked so good on the field last year.

Yes, what " looks good " ( or" bad" ) in attire is always.... always... in the eye of the beholder. Not just in DCI attire, but what we see in our daily lives walking around in our midst ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

4 hours ago, chaddyt said:

This debate over whether the uniform influences competitive outcome is amusing.  Doesn't change the fact that the Cadets' will be changing their look.  While I will always hold the traditional West Point style in high regard, this is probably overdue.  I understand and respect why some (especially alumni) would rather keep things as is, but it's the direction the activity is heading.  

I wonder if SCV has the same thought of their uniform being "overdue". Personally all this conjecture about the uniform having a negative or positive effect on the show is just what it is. Conjecture. 

4 hours ago, Liahona said:

At Least Boston asked their alumni and legacy fans alike FIRST before making a uniform decision...just sayin' :whistle:

So? 

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

I wonder if SCV has the same thought of their uniform being "overdue". Personally all this conjecture about the uniform having a negative or positive effect on the show is just what it is. Conjecture. 

Personally, I don't think SCV's uniform is as visually restrictive as the Cadets', but that's just me.  

The push in the activity is a cohesion of design across all aspects of a given show.  This is undoubtedly beginning to include what the corps proper is wearing.  For better or worse... it is what it is.  The Cadets' have tried (with varying degrees of success) to tailor their uniforms to the show concept, but there is only so much the can do with them, IMO. 

I, for one, do not want to see Variations on Toy Soldiers coming out of Allentown for the next decade.

19 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I, for one, do not want to see Variations on Toy Soldiers coming out of Allentown for the next decade.

Reading this thread you'd assume the Cadets have never been able to pull off successful, varying themed shows in that uniform. But if the French Revolution, aviation, medieval battles, West Side Story, World War II, Westerns, Chinese New Year, Stonehenge, New York City, Jethro Tull and Toy Soldiers aren't varied themes then what are?

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 3

Who knows, maybe the name " Cadets " itself is not " progressive " enough for some people, and will soon require " updating " as well. I mean, the name has changed in DCI before, so its not like that would be any more shocking than deep sixing their 80+ years Cadets styled uniform, imo. ( the Corps in the DCI years has gone from the " Garfield Cadets " to simply " The Cadets " ) And while we're at it,  doesn't the name " Cadets " conjure up a militaristic image that gives some " progressives " the willies and/ or the heebee geebies as well ? Do they want this deep sixed as well ? Just asking, as we can see where the trend lines seem to be going here on all this, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1