Cadets 2017

I just hope Cadets really bring something fresh and worthy of thier reputation and legacy. The tradition with them is really awesome strong and a big part of what make them who they are while they yet have come upon a time now that requires for them to transition into the now future of drum corps. They really working hard to update themselves with keeping the tradition as both The past and present merge perfectly heading into the future. Now future meeting with Traditions will definitely give the Cadets an amazing outstanding evolve identity that remains intact only updated. I have a feeling something really good is coming. Cadets is not lost they just having a little time adjusting the right way. They will find that balance and it will become a force to be recon with.

Edited by theonlyfizzle

2 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Reading this thread you'd assume the Cadets have never been able to pull off successful, varying themed shows in that uniform. But if the French Revolution, aviation, medieval battles, West Side Story, Americana, Chinese New Year, Stonehenge, New York City, Jethro Tull and Toy Soldiers aren't varied themes then what are?

Some of those shows you are referencing are over 2 decades old. The activity just isn't the same as it was then. Let's be honest, the Cadets probably wouldn't have achieved a perfect GE score in 2011 if they didn't make uniform alterations. The differing colors MADE that show possible.

I think what people are saying is that in recent years it is becoming harder to develop a full blown all encompassing visual package if they are restricted to a military style uniform. Removing that restriction would open more doors and allow exploration of new ideas. I believe we have entered a new era of drum corps. What worked 20 years ago isn't going to give you the same success today. That doesn't mean the traditional uniform can't generate a successful show in the future. But maybe they shouldn't be restricted by it. Give the staff some more creative freedom. I assure you even with that freedom, they will still be respectful to Cadets' tradition and identity.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Some of those shows you are referencing are over 2 decades old. The activity just isn't the same as it was then. Let's be honest, the Cadets probably wouldn't have achieved a perfect GE score in 2011 if they didn't make uniform alterations. The differing colors MADE that show possible.

You are missing an essential point, imo :. The 2011 Cadets won themselves a DCI Title with the Cadet styled uniform AND with their traditional colors intact. Since you brought up 2011, and the " colors " of the Cadets, it is next to impossible to envision  the Cadets winning themselves a DCI Title in 2011 had they utilized the all blacks they utilized the last 2 seasons. The Cadets have won more DCI Titles the last 12 years in their classically beautiful, iconic Cadet Styled uniform than has Carolina Crown, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment, SCV.. All Corps that change uniforms almost every season in hopes of finding the right formula. There was no need for the Cadets to throw overboard their 80+ years uniform, imo. It was no detriment to their scores and placements.. if anything it was a calling card for them. Since they ditched the Cadet styled uniform with their traditional colors, their placements and scores have gone downhill. Can they reverse this slide with a " progressive " uniform ? I think their issues are not mostly attire related. I think the Cadets ditching of their 80+ cadet styled uniform has only made more complicated their situation, imo. I hope they turn their fortunes around, but it just might require a change of Directors, not a change in duds they chose to wear. But thats not my call.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

it is becoming harder to develop a full blown all encompassing visual package if they are restricted to a military style uniform. Removing that restriction would open more doors and allow exploration of new ideas. I believe we have entered a new era of drum corps. What worked 20 years ago isn't going to give you the same success today. That doesn't mean the traditional uniform can't generate a successful show in the future. But maybe they shouldn't be restricted by it. Give the staff some more creative freedom. I assure you even with that freedom, they will still be respectful to Cadets' tradition and identity.

Beg 'pardon, I thought this was the Troopers' thread. Sorry. Should have read the sign on the door. Carry on.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Reading this thread you'd assume the Cadets have never been able to pull off successful, varying themed shows in that uniform.

I don't think anybody said or implied anything similar to that.

I've seen people say that a change could benefit the corps if they try for a more modern show, which like it or not, revolves far more around choreography than marching than ever before. 

My point was that a uniform change being seen as identity-shattering in any way is an insult to a great corps like The Cadets, who have constantly helped define what's "real" DCI/drum corps for decades with their creative choices. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, George Dixon said:

I do think the Cadets classic uniform should be maintained as a second set of uniforms for parades, standstills and retreats at finals. But I've thought for a long time (long before Coats Patridge Family outfits) that Cadets should use a show-specific costume for the field show.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Cavaliers hit a home run with that idea this year. The traditional "Green" look for the Finals retreat was brilliant, and will let the corps still be The Cavaliers in non-competitive environments while letting them go nuts on the field.

Mike

23 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Beg 'pardon, I thought this was the Troopers' thread. Sorry. Should have read the sign on the door. Carry on.

Oh, I'm having a mental dilemma now.  On one hand, I see what you did there.  On the other hand... c'mon, Troopers are Western!  Arrrrrrggggggh.  :blow:

Mike

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Who knows, maybe the name " Cadets " itself is not " progressive " enough for some people, and will soon require " updating " as well. I mean, the name has changed in DCI before, so its not like that would be any more shocking than deep sixing their 80+ years Cadets styled uniform, imo. ( the Corps in the DCI years has gone from the " Garfield Cadets " to simply " The Cadets " ) And while we're at it,  doesn't the name " Cadets " conjure up a militaristic image that gives some " progressives " the willies and/ or the heebee geebies as well ? Do they want this deep sixed as well ? Just asking, as we can see where the trend lines seem to be going here on all this, imo.

Oh please.

If you wanna be technical, when Cadets had their traditional colors on the uniform, they were actually more successful. Lets assess: 

2011: (Maroon & Gold - inverted) 1st place. 

2012: (All white [Not too bad]) 4th place

2013: (Maroon & Gold) 3rd Place

2014: (Maroon & Gold) 3rd Place

2015: (Maroon & Gold, in the beginning, Black in the end) 4th place

2016: (Black) 6th place

So although they medaled 60% of the time in the past 5 years, their uniform, for the most part, stayed the same. Meanwhile, corps like Crown and until recently, Bluecoats have made changes to their uniform and their placements haven't drastically changed except for both of them winning championships in the past 5 years. So I don't think the uniform makes too big of a difference in terms of scoring. I think it makes MORE of a difference to those who WANT the uniform to changed. 

22 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

If you wanna be technical, when Cadets had their traditional colors on the uniform, they were actually more successful. Lets assess: 

2011: (Maroon & Gold - inverted) 1st place. 

2012: (All white [Not too bad]) 4th place

2013: (Maroon & Gold) 3rd Place

2014: (Maroon & Gold) 3rd Place

2015: (Maroon & Gold, in the beginning, Black in the end) 4th place

2016: (Black) 6th place

I prefer the normal colors. It was a mistake to go to black in my opinion. Makes the drill appear less impressive. 

However, I see no problem with an updated design that would reflect show theme more appropriately. I know current Cadets marching members that have expressed the same opinion.