Cadets 2017

1 minute ago, Brass34 said:

I prefer the normal colors. It was a mistake to go to black in my opinion. Makes the drill appear less impressive. 

However, I see no problem with an updated design that would reflect show theme more appropriately. I know current Cadets marching members that have expressed the same opinion. 

That's perfectly fine. My point is those who imply that the uniform should be "updated" because it hinders their progress are exaggerating. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

If you wanna be technical, when Cadets had their traditional colors on the uniform, they were actually more successful. Lets assess: 

2011: (Maroon & Gold - inverted) 1st place. 

2012: (All white [Not too bad]) 4th place

2013: (Maroon & Gold) 3rd Place

2014: (Maroon & Gold) 3rd Place

2015: (Maroon & Gold, in the beginning, Black in the end) 4th place

2016: (Black) 6th place

So although they medaled 60% of the time in the past 5 years, their uniform, for the most part, stayed the same. Meanwhile, corps like Crown and until recently, Bluecoats have made changes to their uniform and their placements haven't drastically changed except for both of them winning championships in the past 5 years. So I don't think the uniform makes too big of a difference in terms of scoring. I think it makes MORE of a difference to those who WANT the uniform to changed. 

some might read that as the year they took the biggest risk and truly innovated with their uniform design was the year they won the whole thing.

and it was a perfect complement for the overall show design.

i'm slightly dino in that i much prefer run and gun to the choreography-driven shows that are consistently winning for the past half decade and more. 

i'm not advocating any change just for the sake of change. i'm just saying that if a new uni design fits with their show choice, then there's nothing wrong with that. and it would do nothing to tarnish the identity of such a great corps. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

some might read that as the year they took the biggest risk and truly innovated with their uniform design was the year they won the whole thing.

and it was a perfect complement for the overall show design.

i'm slightly dino in that i much prefer run and gun to the choreography-driven shows that are consistently winning for the past half decade and more. 

i'm not advocating any change just for the sake of change. i'm just saying that if a new uni design fits with their show choice, then there's nothing wrong with that. and it would do nothing to tarnish the identity of such a great corps. 

That's exactly right. It seems that some people want it changed just for change sake, and they've been advocating for it for years. But if you change the uniform for one year for a specific show (ala Bluecoats), then to what do you go back? Cadets changing their uniform this year is a good thing if they're doing it for the design of the show. But what will they use next year? Back to the old? An update of this year's uniform to complement next year's show? We shall see. 

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

That's exactly right. It seems that some people want it changed just for change sake, and they've been advocating for it for years. But if you change the uniform for one year for a specific show (ala Bluecoats), then to what do you go back? Cadets changing their uniform this year is a good thing if they're doing it for the design of the show. But what will they use next year? Back to the old? An update of this year's uniform to complement next year's show? We shall see. 

yeah, those are great questions.

it's going to be really interesting to see what bloo comes out with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I do not purport to have any inside information on what Bloo will wear this year. Maybe they will wear the same uniform as last year ... maybe they will go back to 2015's uni. But, if I were a betting man, I would bet on a new look. Why go back to where you've been? I don't think Bloo is a rear view mirror corps, but I have been known to be wrong ... even today, so like Fran, you can line your birdcage with the printed version of this post. LOL!

• Like 1

For me it boils down to this: I don't want the staff to feel they need to choose a show that appeals to the uniform (i.e. Toy Souldier). Rather, have the uniform reflect the show. But yeah I guess we'll find out soon enough what they've come up with. Hopefully it's good so this forum doesn't explode. And I agree...all eyes will be on Bluecoats to see if they continue with the costuming 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Reading this thread you'd assume the Cadets have never been able to pull off successful, varying themed shows in that uniform. But if the French Revolution, aviation, medieval battles, West Side Story, World War II, Westerns, Chinese New Year, Stonehenge, New York City, Jethro Tull and Toy Soldiers aren't varied themes then what are?

And as I stated, "the push in the activity"....  meaning, where that activity seems to be going.  

Not where the activity has been.  Back then, the concept or theme of the show was the color guard's to portray.  That simply not enough anymore.  

I love the traditional uniform.  I love the shows that they performed in it.  I just don't know how much longer it can remain relevant based on where drum corps appears to be headed.  That's all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

For me it boils down to this: I don't want the staff to feel they need to choose a show that appeals to the uniform (i.e. Toy Souldier). Rather, have the uniform reflect the show. But yeah I guess we'll find out soon enough what they've come up with. Hopefully it's good so this forum doesn't explode. And I agree...all eyes will be on Bluecoats to see if they continue with the costuming 

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this new Cadets update. I just really hope it's Classy and gets us as excited as I hope the show does. Buuuuuuuut "classy" means different things to different people. 

• Like 3