Cadets 2017

55 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Prior to WGI's early years when they dropped  the required military style  Manual of Arms/Flag Posting and Color Pre for indoor color guard contests, it was customary for all guard members who utilized sabers to wear a scabbard whenever in uniform no matter winter or summer season. Back in those days, simultaneously getting the sabers in and out of the scabbards was almost impossible and was considered a ecstasy moment for guardsters when it happened. Corps who wore drop sashes off the cummerbund made sure that their guard members on saber had the drop sash on the right leg so that the drop sash would never interfere with the scabbard; the scabbard  was worn on the left since most folk were right handed and could easily reach across the body to extract the saber. Cadets' uniform was identical but for colors with West Point; as West Point did, so did Cadets. Obsessive compulsives would go crazy seeing some in the same corps wearing drop sashes on different sides. With the elimination of the scabbard, all drop sashes were worn on the left side.

How does this relate now, 2017? Note the horn sgts;. (asst. DMs') shoulder patches. Even those who clamor for the "traditional uniform" have to admit that what that was was different depending upon the era and the useage.   In short, there have been changes even BITD.  What changes GH announces this weekend to donors will have to be taken in that context.

Please pay your course tuition at the door as you exit and collect your three history credits.:sigh:

In lieu of tuition, will you take instead a public release authorization of my Guard audition tryout video ? I am working on my skills as well as physical training in order to make a spot in line with the Couchmen this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

In lieu of tuition, will you take instead a public release authorization of my Guard audition tryout video ? I am working on my skills as well as physical training in order to make a spot in line with the Couchmen this year.

The grey unis of some Cadets' guard members was so last year. I almost confused you with Adonis. Keep practicing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Cadets hammering the "we need boys" bell a lot lately.  

Anyone want to read the tea leaves?

yes - they only have a small group of spots in the guard and they need all boys to balance out the sexes and "couple" the guard in several spots of the show, particularly the ballad

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

yes - they only have a small group of spots in the guard and they need all boys to balance out the sexes and "couple" the guard in several spots of the show, particularly the ballad

so marching an equal number of males/female guard members this season?  interesting. 

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

so marching an equal number of males/female guard members this season?  interesting. 

Didn't mean to imply "equal" just hat currently I've heard the guard is very unbalanced by sexes with few male members 

On 4/20/2017 at 10:50 PM, George Dixon said:

1999 rehearsal - everyone's favorite Cadets show :)

stay tuned until the end - Cadillac of the Skies in standstill encore performance

I wish someone could find 2000 rehearsal footage. 

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I wish someone could find 2000 rehearsal footage. 

there's a couple lot vids for the battery from 2000 plus a victory concert or two from various regionals - but I've yet to find much or any in the way of 2000 sectional or ensemble rehearsals

sorry.

1. 1982 is such a fun show. It deserves more credit than it gets.

2. I miss real drum features. With extremely talented pit members coupled with electronics, a bangin' battery, and a courageous drum caption head, I cannot fathom why a knock 'em down and drag 'em out drum feature hasn't been trotted out. I grow weary of the drum snippets with the overuse of posing and bug stomping. It's time to bring out the hammer again.

3. I wish we could have more encore pieces that are FUN! Some of the best music BITD were the standstill pieces. I love the chorales and ballads, but dang! Go into the corps libraries and break out the fun stuff, for Pete's sake.