Celebrant: Sing God a simple song:
Lauda, laude...
Make it up as you go along:
Lauda, laude...
Sing like you like to sing.
God loves all simple things,
For God is the simplest of all.

I will sing the Lord a new song
To praise Him, to bless Him, to bless the Lord.
I will sing His praises while I live all of my days.

Blessed is the man who loves the Lord,
Blessed is the man who praises Him.
Lauda, lauda, laude, and walks in His ways.

I will lift up my eyes 
To the hills from whence comes my help.
I will lift up my voice to the Lord.
Singing lauda, laude.
For the Lord is my shade,
Is the shade upon my right hand,
And the sun shall not smite me by day
Nor the moon by night.
Blessed is the man who loves the Lord,
Lauda, lauda, laude, and walks in His ways.
Lauda, lauda, laude,
Lauda, lauda di da di day
All of my days.

Choir: Sanctus, sanctus, sanctus
Dominus Deus Sabaoth.
Pleni sunt coeli et terra Gloriae tuae.
Osanna! 
Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini.
Osanna in excelsis!

Celebrant: Mi...mi...mi alone is only me.
But mi with sol, me with soul, mi sol,
Means a song is beginning,
Is beginning to grow,
Take wing and rise up singing
From me and my soul.
Kadosh, kadosh, kadosh!

Choir: Kadosh, kadosh, kadosh
Adonai ts'vaot m'lo chol haaretz k'vodo

Singing: Holy, holy, holy,
Lord God of Hosts.
All the heavens and earth are full of His glory.

Baruch ha'ba b'shem Adonai!

All: Sanctus! Sanctus!

If I may be so bold as to try to give some background to Bernstein's work because it has been several generations since the original piece was composed and sometimes it isn't discussed in a secular education program..I did this in '83 and the MMs and faculty said it was helpful.

The composer, a secular Jew who struggles with his own belief in God, looks at the Roman Catholic Mass which from the 800's to 1964 followed a static protocol spoken mostly in Latin and incorporating cultural elements from the Middle East, medieval Europe, and a world which greatly does not express itself that same way in our time. Bernstein takes that struggle of belief and composes against the horizon of American politics struggling with the Viet Nam war, the world wide questioning of the aftermath of World War II and the Holocaust, and the universal quest to understand the triad of humanity, divinity, and authority. Thus his text bounces between English and the liturgical languages of Hebrew and Latin. The Catholic Church re-structured its liturgy in 1964, a time of tension in politics, world peace and global shifts in predominating cultures. The tensions are heard in the music.

Many of the psychological-spiritual facets that Bernstein expresses and challenges are still true quests today. The various musical approaches, complexities, simplicities, and  juxtapositions are still relevant today. Most Americans today will be more familiar with prayer and spiritual works in the vernacular (such as English, Spanish, French, etc.) rather than Latin. But the dynamics and genius of Bernstein's music and the voicing of universal spiritual questions give the Cadets quite the opportunity. What the corps chooses for the 11 minutes and emphasizes for its efforts will be most intriguing and probably understood on a variety of levels. 1983 took one approach. What 2017 takes musically has great possibility; the show structure and theme invites as strong a possibility. Whatever is announced puts us all to a menu of appreciations, musically, philosophically, visually, and personally. it's going to be quite the year whatever you and the judges decide should get your enjoyment.

GH acknowledged that the President of the NY Philharmonic made the possibility of playing Bernstein's works on the marching arts field happen with the family and copyright holders. Kudos.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

The Cadets Are Excited To Announce In 2017 They Will Be Playing...

leo%20gold%202.png

The Cadets are excited to announce that they will be playing the music of Leonard Bernstein's MASS as the cornerstone for the 2017 season, with incidental music from Dr. Drew Shanefield, Tom Aungst and Omar Carmenates. 

"This year, The Cadets will perform the music of Leonard Bernstein's MASS, bringing back the beauty, intensity and the raw power of a work that signifies to many an amazing transformation that has carried The Cadets through the past 33 years," said Director George Hopkins. "Exactly 34 years ago in 1983, The Cadets performed the music of Bernstein's MASS bringing The Cadets their first DCI Championship. It was a magical year, built on hard work, and the passion of staff, members and volunteers. I can still hear in my head the chants of 'East, East, East' as The Cadets finished their performance in Miami, a performance that would bring the DCI Championship Title to the East Coast for the first time EVER!"

This summer will mark the first time since 2009 that anyone has had the rights to play the music of Leonard Bernstein on a drum corps field. To pull this off, Dr. Drew Shanefield, the arranger for The Cadets and George Hopkins made five visits to The Leonard Bernstein Office in New York City. The President of the New York Philharmonic, Matthew VanBesien (a Cadets fan) was by their side throughout the process, bringing another level of wonder to an already incredible start to our 2017 season.

"The Cadets and Bernstein in 2017! This is the show I've been dreaming of since I wore out my DCI VHS tape and my parents' VCR in the 1980s," said Dr. Shanefield. "And to think I get the chance to arrange for the corps. How did a kid from suburban Philly end up here? I'm psyched, humbled, exhilarated and honored. I will do my very best to make you proud and live up to the legacy of this music. Check this one off my bucket list!" Not only is Dr. Shanefield the Brass Arranger and Caption Supervisor, he is also an alumni of the corps, marching from 1988-1991.

The 2017 season marks exactly 34 years since the first year The Cadets played Bernstein's MASS, and a lot has changed in that time. 1983 saw the likes of George Zingali writing drill, Jim Prime and Donnie Van Doren running the brass line, and Thom Hannum redefining the percussion section. There were no cell phones, the uniforms didn't have lining and the staff traveled in vans. One more thing was that The Cadets were broke, and the 1983 season was a miracle. 

To field the drum corps in 1983 took a budget of $400,000, today it takes $1,400,000. Last year, we had over 1,000 people donate to The Cadets to help us get down the road and provide the best experience possible for our members. Success and opportunity come at a cost and we need help from donors like you to help us plan the future for the next generation of Cadets. 17 years from now, exactly one half of the time since 1983, we will be celebrating our Centennial Anniversary and we need you to join with us to support the young men and women who will make up The Cadets of 2017 and beyond. 

When you donate today and become a member of The Cadets Maroon & Gold Club you'll receive exclusive access to behind the scenes looks at our 2017 season and you'll be an integral part of The Cadets return to Bernstein's MASS. Make your contribution today at donate.cadets.org and be an inside part of our 2017 season!

Support The Cadets

• Like 1