Cadets 2017

Gosh, '91 was so much better than it placed. PR&F was fantastic. It's too bad it's used as an example of a "down year" for the Cadets. I find that in most years the Cadets are out of the medals there are plenty of gold nuggets one can pan out of the metaphorical dirt. '99 is a perfect example. Seriously, who doesn't think the quad sequence is anything but pure gold? How about White Rabbit in '06? Best part of that show IMHO. The French horn feature in '15? So many nuggets I'm getting gold fever, baby!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, wallace said:

Gosh, '91 was so much better than it placed. PR&F was fantastic. It's too bad it's used as an example of a "down year" for the Cadets. I find that in most years the Cadets are out of the medals there are plenty of gold nuggets one can pan out of the metaphorical dirt. '99 is a perfect example. Seriously, who doesn't think the quad sequence is anything but pure gold? How about White Rabbit in '06? Best part of that show IMHO. The French horn feature in '15? So many nuggets I'm getting gold fever, baby!

As much as I hated that show (yes, hate is a strong word, but I absolutely HATED IT), I do find myself watching the show and the YouTube rehearsal videos quite frequently, especially the drum feature in Hell's Kitchen and the drill at the end of the show. It's crazy how fast we were moving (albeit a lot of dirt).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wallace said:

French horns in '15? My HS marching band kid and I still look at each other and shake our heads when we hear it. PURE. The fans at finals reacted the same way...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

While I don't remember a sop solo in the Adams piece then, I do know Drew played a short sop solo in the Preludes, Fugues, and Riffs feature that same summer while Jason DeGroff played the sop solo in The Letter from Home piece in the same show.

You're right. It had to have been Preludes, Fugues, and Riffs.  That show title was the ABCs of American Modern Music, I believe.

Well I just saw a vid of the percussion line at last camp playing a drum feature in the show..

hmmm...O.     M.      G. 

Im as giddy as a school girl..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

You're right. It had to have been Preludes, Fugues, and Riffs.  That show title was the ABCs of American Modern Music, I believe.

I do love that show.  Bright Cadets brass sound, and the three songs work together so, so well. And, of course, 14 tenors...

Mike

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

As much as I hated that show (yes, hate is a strong word, but I absolutely HATED IT), I do find myself watching the show and the YouTube rehearsal videos quite frequently, especially the drum feature in Hell's Kitchen and the drill at the end of the show. It's crazy how fast we were moving (albeit a lot of dirt).

You should be very proud of '99 particularly the first half through the ballad (which is one of my favorites though I still can't figure out how it worked into the show theme-LOL!). Of the nineties shows, I listen to '90-'93, '96, and '99 the most.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tobias said:

Well I just saw a vid of the percussion line at last camp playing a drum feature in the show..

hmmm...O.     M.      G. 

Im as giddy as a school girl..

Hee hee! I'm so happy Aungst is back!

8 hours ago, kkpjm16 said:

French horns in '15? My HS marching band kid and I still look at each other and shake our heads when we hear it. PURE. The fans at finals reacted the same way...

I quoted this just to see your reply twice in the thread!

• Like 1

With a new brass arranger this year, and the Cadets consistently putting some of my favorite arrangements on the field throughout the years, I wanted to update (and possibly correct) this list:

• 1983-1986: Jim Prime
  • 1987-1992: Michael Klesch
  • 1993-2001: Jay Bocook
  • 2002-2003: Don Hill
  • 2004-2016: Jay Bocook
  • 2017: Drew Shanefield

Anyone know if anything looks off or missing here? Who arranged prior to 1983 and when?

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1