Cadets 2017

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I've noticed lately you have a tendency to minimize a former staff member's ability whenever Cadets get a replacement for said former staff member. I don't think it's fair to diminish his abilities especially since they won brass in 2015. I believe it has more to do with the constraints of the show design of the specific year. 

when the corps is stagnating competively and the crowd is sitting on their hands should we blame, who? - the members?

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

'Ima honk for both teams! I think Crown got the better visual upgrade here, but Cadets' show is going to be really fun.

HONK, HOOOOONK!

I actually think the influx of fresh perspectives will help both... the "questions" are Crowns guard guys and Cadets drill guys, just because the prior folks were known quantities and corps strengths so change involves an inherent "risk"

Both should be exciting this upcoming season and I'd say both do very well this coming year with one of the two in medals and the other in 4th or 5th - or maybe both will medal, time will tell

I love the ideas for both shows and can't wait!

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

That they've slipped doesn't mean it's entirely THEIR fault. And none of us knows if the new staff will be the "savior" that we crave. 

he didn't say it was entirely THEIR fault. 

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

when the corps is stagnating competively and the crowd is sitting on their hands should we blame, who? - the members?

You can blame who you want. My point is let's not make one staff seem like they'll be much better for Cadets (even though WE HAVE NO IDEA what will happen this season) by making the prior staff (the staff that has been with Cadets for years and has helped them win championships) look like they didn't know what they were doing. There is such a thing as letting them go without dragging their names in the mud. You would think we would have learned from last year. Clearly, some of us haven't. 

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

he didn't say it was entirely THEIR fault. 

He said they lost their effectiveness, which seems to say it is all on THEM. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

He said they lost their effectiveness, which seems to say it is all on THEM. 

yes but he didn't say "entirely" on them = you're adding the "all"

4 hours ago, corpsband said:

Questions surround both teams?  Absolutely.  More for one than the other?   We will both chose to look at things half-full for one side and half empty on the other:-)  Crown lost visual design and guard.  We lost Tom but the rest of the perc team stayed.  OTOH Cadets needed to reload the entire staff except the guard  (who after last season have to be considered a big question mark).  Basically Hop and Kristy were left :-)  

Anyway I think both teams filled all  the vacancies well.  

If Crown drops to 6th this season,  I'll agree with you :-) 

Dan Potter was wrong on the FieldPass interview with Cipriani and you are not correct completely in your comments.

Michael P. Terry, superlative Cadets baritone soloist of the past and of recent few seasons Cadets' mellophone and French horn tech (including phenomenal 2015 line) did not follow Gino and his tagalongs to Boston but was promoted to Cadets' 3017 brass manager. As popular with Cadets' MMs and staff as Michael was when he did his teaching gigs at Spirit and Troopers, he forms a great team with Drew.

Edited by xandandl

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Dan Potter was wrong on the FieldPass interview with Cipriani and you are not correct completely in your comments.

Michael P. Terry, superlative Cadets baritone soloist of the past and of recent few seasons Cadets' mellophone and French horn tech (including phenomenal 2015 line) did not follow Gino and his tagalongs to Boston but was promoted to Cadets' brass manager. As popular with Cadets' MMs and staff as Michael was when he did his teaching gigs at Spirit and Troopers, he forms a great team with Drew.

noted.   whole brass staff less one :-) 

on similar vein,  Crown did not lose the whole guard staff as Michael Floyd (long time staffer) remained with the Crown. :biggrin: 

Edited by corpsband

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

yes but he didn't say "entirely" on them = you're adding the "all"

Give it a rest. You knew exactly what I meant. 

• Like 1

Quite frankly, who cares what anyone says at this point.  The new staff are going to roll out a new corps with a (hopefully) new sound that will do a proper homage to Mass.  I really think that the sounds we will hear this year are going to be dictated by the Bernstein estate and not by any particular staff decisions or corps members involved.  The only reason the Cadets are able to do Mass (in my opinion) is by agreeing to keep everything as true to the original as possible.  Staff movements will have zero impact because of this.  

Sharpen those scissors and bust out those rulers, folks!

The hair-splitting and ****-measuring is in full swing in this thread.  :-)

I'ma grab some popcorn.  

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

That they've slipped doesn't mean it's entirely THEIR fault. And none of us knows if the new staff will be the "savior" that we crave. 

Well the same "design constraints aka George Hopkins" have always been there so if you take out that constant, then yes, the "staff" would bare the brunt of the problem for falling placements. I think younger designers heavily involved in WGI are producing the better shows now for the new DCI. If I had my choice, I would have kept Jeff but other than that, I have no issues with a new arranger giving us an updated musical approach and fresh visual guys respecting the history of Cadets but pushing them in a bold new direction.