Cadets 2017

53 minutes ago, wallace said:

I certainly do not think it's nefarious; however, it's asinine to raise funds by means of the Shako of Silence. I have given donations out of love for the entire organization not to glean "inside information" that is rarely earth shattering. I still say this year's media blackout was ridiculous, and by ridiculous, I mean it should be ridiculed.

I find it fascinating that people are complaining about this. Other corps have done this for years and since we have all been accustomed to Cadets providing information in previous seasons, the one season they decide not to (and give pretty good reasons as to why), now people think it's ridiculous. Personally, I'm glad (yes GLAD) they haven't been on information overload this off-season. It has always been my opinion that The Cadets talk too much.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I find it fascinating that people are complaining about this. Other corps have done this for years and since we have all been accustomed to Cadets providing information in previous seasons, the one season they decide not to (and give pretty good reasons as to why), now people think it's ridiculous. Personally, I'm glad (yes GLAD) they haven't been on information overload this off-season. It has always been my opinion that The Cadets talk too much.

Tek is correct. GH was asking for donations last ST so that we could get a peak at them rehearsing. All that hype and then they went out and and got decimated at day one of the season and it went down hill from there. Let them develop a great product and unveil it when it's something ready to be admired. 

Edited by Tobias

You're both incorrect. What other non-profit organizations go on a ten and a half month media hiatus yet insist the Benjamins should keep raining from donors? Hey! Do you think PETA holds secret barbecues for its donors to talk about frogs and bumblebees? It's been and continues to be the apex of absurdity.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wallace said:

You're both incorrect. What other non-profit organizations go on a ten and a half month media hiatus yet insist the Benjamins should keep raining from donors? Hey! Do you think PETA holds secret barbecues for its donors to talk about frogs and bumblebees? It's been and continues to be the apex of absurdity.

I heard they do.

3 hours ago, wallace said:

I certainly do not think it's nefarious; however, it's asinine to raise funds by means of the Shako of Silence. I have given donations out of love for the entire organization not to glean "inside information" that is rarely earth shattering. I still say this year's media blackout was ridiculous, and by ridiculous, I mean it should be ridiculed.

they aren't - it's insider information. They've always shared more information with donors for years. It used to be "member blogs" or "nightly instant scores" - then it was "videos" and now this sort of insider webchats.

This year's media black out is pretty ridiculous but Cadets did have a real reason to hold off on their's with negotiations with the Bernstein family taking all winter until 2 weeks ago. Other corps also were securing rights.

3 hours ago, Tobias said:

I'm going to the wine tasting on Sunday and will get a look at the new unis errr costumes NO unis! Will I see you there George? I'm the really good looking one. 

I'm unfortunately not there Sunday but at least I know now how to find you soon. Let me know how that costume strikes you

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Tek is correct. GH was asking for donations last ST so that we could get a peak at them rehearsing. All that hype and then they went out and and got decimated at day one of the season and it went down hill from there. Let them develop a great product and unveil it when it's something ready to be admired. 

Yeah, nothing new. They used to send scores to the donors nightly to encourage it before the "gasp" internet was a thing!

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

While I do feel 365 "engagement" is very important for drum corps (verses going into hiatus all winter) as an activity - I've personally really enjoyed the quiet approach of the Cadets this year. 

From the admin's perspective, it's probably much less stressful when you don't have to worry about putting out content before you're ready (plus not having to deal with negative press).  I mean, do Broadway shows publicly share rehearsal run-throughs before opening night? If they do, good for them, but if it's less than perfection, you might turn people off to the show... and then you lose money...  

I dig the cone of silence... 

...but I LOVED the "Always a Cadet" videos.  :-)

What people are complaining about is the TOTAL media blackout. I could care less if the Cadets want to refrain from sharing confidential info and content about the show. Big deal! It's understandable. However, there was little to no content of any kind for ten and a half months in a year when the organization was in a state of upheaval. That's exactly the time to remain in touch with the public. Do they honestly want everyone to believe there was nothing about the Cadets outside of the show that could be posted to pique or retain interest in the organization? Hogwash!