Cadets 2017

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

it was day 2. I would imagine these were positions they were rehearsing - not movement. Could be the start or end of a phrase I suppose

I'm pretty sure the pics are of the guard in technique block

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Lots of arguing and getting off on tangents.  Like every year.  

:)

And a lot of talking about the Cadets 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

while we're waiting for video of this years manline - a 2+ hour movie of 2016's Cadets drumline

The battery section leader has reached out for some more assistance. If you can help, appreciated. https://www.gofundme.com/tonyt913  "I have a go fund me page but I also have PayPal and Venmo and Square Cash, if any of those are easier."

Help him go to MASS.

Edited by xandandl

I was 17 when I saw the '83 show in Lynn, MA at the Lancer's annual show. The Mass/Rocky Point program was my gateway drug to DCI and I've been hooked ever since. A few weeks back when I heard the Mass was being revisited, it occurred to me that I'd never heard the actual production. So, I downloaded the Alsop/Baltimore Symphony performance and listened to it on a long drive one day. To be honest, I found it hard to listen to. It sounded very dated (read: Godspell) both musically and in its messaging/theme. And the parts most difficult to appreciate were the choral/vocal parts. But this is not unusual for me. I often hear a piece of music from a Top 12 Corps that I'm unfamiliar with and end up preferring the on-field interpretation after hearing the original.

I think that Mass is a "high wire" act in that it has the potential to once again stretch the definitions of what is possible in drum corps - or could go into the "Great Idea in Principle, but..." file. But that's what innovation is about. The willingness to take risk. It's what makes me a hardcore fan of The Cadets. I think this will be a very interesting show no matter. If successful, it could be the show that sets the new benchmark for integrating vocals into a drum corps ensemble.  Like many of you, I hope for some brilliant brass work, and some thrilling, breathless, emotional moments I've experienced from the corps in past shows. Whether that happens or not is in the ultimate design elements and final execution on the field. At this level, the difference between brilliance and disappointment is a game of millimeters. 

I remain hopeful and excited.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I would suggest listening to the Mass Suite (arr. Michael Sweeney)

I conducted this version when it first came out a few years back, Michael Sweeney did a phenomenal job!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I conducted this version when it first came out a few years back, Michael Sweeney did a phenomenal job!

29 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I would suggest listening to the Mass Suite (arr. Michael Sweeney)

This is a good idea.  I added to my YouTube and Rhapsody/Napster playlists.  Thanks for the suggestion.