Cadets 2017

32 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Ah, okay.  He is from the opposite side of town from Richland, where I grew up... The opposite bank of the city.

Probably not all posters would appreciate the importance of your comment about banks of the city. (cf. Johnstown flood)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Probably not all posters would appreciate the importance of your comment about banks of the city. (cf. Johnstown flood)

To be honest... I wasn't even thinking about the history!  But it is true... every hillside in Johnstown, PA was at more than one time a 'bank' in the worst sense.

But enough about Western Pa... how 'bout them Cadets?!

Edited by cfirwin3

11 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Ah, okay.  He is from the opposite side of town from Richland, where I grew up... The opposite bank of the city.

I'm very familiar with the area, well before UPJ and the original Richland Mall where the big box stores now sit....having the Cadets there every year is a huge boost to the area, especially the band programs there, IMO.  I try to get back to see them in action every chance. 

born and raised eight miles downriver.

nice tc see JohnZ post as part of the conversation.

When I saw his name on the index lead, I automatically wondered what argument did I miss overnight and who's being suspended, deleted or disciplined now? Not that that would ever happen on a Cadets' thread.:innocent:

• Like 5

Just now, JohnZ said:

I'm very familiar with the area, well before UPJ and the original Richland Mall where the big box stores now sit....having the Cadets there every year is a huge boost to the area, especially the band programs there, IMO.  I try to get back to see them in action every chance. 

born and raised eight miles downriver.

Western PA, in general has been (at least in the past) a fairly robust factory for producing marchers in a wide array of organizations.  Cadets, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, Star, Glassmen, Crossmen, etc. all had a significant pool to choose from in Western PA in the 1990's.  And that is to say nothing of the other classified corps and DCA groups.  I now reside in Western NY, where there WAS a rich history of drumcorps and remains a DCA cult following... but I see little evidence of the awareness of the activity that was around in Western PA that I saw as a kid.  Most of our PMEA CONCERT band festivals was spent talking about the drumcorps season and sharing stories between those who marched.  Moving the Cadets to Johnstown for that prep time was a move to very friendly and drumcorps-educated territory.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Western PA, in general has been (at least in the past) a fairly robust factory for producing marchers in a wide array of organizations.  Cadets, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, Star, Glassmen, Crossmen, etc. all had a significant pool to choose from in Western PA in the 1990's.  And that is to say nothing of the other classified corps and DCA groups.  I now reside in Western NY, where there WAS a rich history of drumcorps and remains a DCA cult following... but I see little evidence of the awareness of the activity that was around in Western PA that I saw as a kid.  Most of our PMEA CONCERT band festivals was spent talking about the drumcorps season and sharing stories between those who marched.  Moving the Cadets to Johnstown for that prep time was a move to very friendly and drumcorps-educated territory.

Yeah Cadets get a nice group watching rehearsals of local residents who seem quite aware why they are looking at. Last night about twenty locals watching the percussion sectional in the stadium

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

spring training "hype" type video from YEA!

Love it. Nondescript but it means we're getting closer.