Cadets 2017

12 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Wait, are you telling me that the TGV is FASTER than the Shinkansen????

I'm telling you that the air-speed velocity of an African Swallow is faster than a European Swallow

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I'm telling you that the air-speed velocity of an African Swallow is faster than a European Swallow

#MindBlown

• Like 1

So I was fortunate enough to see a video of the Cadets and thought I would write a short review:

Firstly the video i saw showed about 9 mins of the show and apparently the video is sped up so too fast but anyhow WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD Cadets.  This definitely in no way shape or form is a copy of any other version of Mass so I don't think they are in danger of people telling them it's just a rehash because it isn't!

Right now they are as dirty as hell but if they were super clean i'd be worried, but they definitely have their work cut out to figure all the pieces out.

I am not sure where the comments of them doing 'run & gun' drill came from. Seems a good balance of drill and staging and it definitely already has more wow moments than last year - both visually and musically.

Brass - As others have said they seem young and lack that ensemble balanced sound right now but they have meat in the book, giving them tons of room for growth

Drums - Sound super stella this year but seem staged back field a lot of the time (except for one great feature mid show)

Guard - Already better than last year, staging is WAY better and they have some nice moments. I hope they are spending lots of time working on technique (but it was super windy in this video!). I suspect they will place in the 4-8th range this year

Drill - 1,0000 times better than last year.  As i said, good balance of traditional drill and staging and most of the time, what is happening has a purpose.  Clearly tons of layering and body to add.  The abstract start needs more purpose and no doubt it will. In the video it looks like lots of people running around!

Music book - really like it.  Some bits of Mass I recognise and others I don't but i like it

Choir - I am not sure this is figured out yet - didn't sound ensemble/blended enough (I think one person was missing).  I suspect this will work really well in a Dome but not so well outside.

Overall conclusion?  I have seen a vid of Crown and Cadets and I like Cadets more.  It feels more modern/contemporary than Crown however, Crown right now is MUCH cleaner.  As I said, I suspect Cadets will have a slowish start and build as the season progresses - which is the right way and good for them. As others have said by DCI I expect them to be around 4-6th but who knows!  Great building blocks for the future - esp if this staff works out and they can keep them.

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 3

How about y'all just wait one more week? I promise it'd be better than watching a crappy video

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

How about y'all just wait one more week? I promise it'd be better than watching a crappy video

Some of us have Drum Corp Withdraw, I am one of those as well... Video anyone??? :whistle:

2 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Some of us have Drum Corp Withdraw, I am one of those as well... Video anyone??? :whistle:

I do too, but we've waited 9 months, one more week isn't going to kill you

• Like 1