Cadets 2017

Cadets are streaming the dress rehearsal this Sunday from Ada to donors. Friday and Saturday maybe some uniform announcements!

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

What is this present situation of drum corps to which you're referring to?

The present situation = the competitiveness of the corps nowadays. 

8 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

A lot of it is justified though. With the present situation of drum corps, there is not much wiggle room to have a completely new staff and think you can still be competitive. Look at what happened to Cavies. 

Great point. 

Once the season  begins, the clock starts ticking quickly.

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Great point. 

Once the season  begins, the clock starts ticking quickly.

The clock is already ticking quite loudly

cadets for example now of a framework (a shell) of their show on the field, this evenings ensemble they will run the full show with music and drill for the first time

then they only have five days to run and re run big chunks trying to get the corps confortable with tempos, transitions and how to get the corps on and off the field frankly

as a corps they have 10 of 15 days of rehearsal in only the first two weeks counting next week so by the end of that the show should be feeling much more complete and they will start thinking about learning the final minute of the program drill and music in the tag ending and making a few changes or snips to the program

By the time they hit regionals the competition really begins with "clusters" of competitive brackets emerging 

once you are in a competitive bracket it is very hard to move to the next

this season will go by very quickly indeed 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Yeah we might see those lol

i really think Cadets could enter August in 6th and surge at the end to 4th or even 3rd. Seems like that kind of show and year. Obviously will depend on the other corps who will clearly have a say in it lol. 

For that to be the case, then the fans, staff and members need to manage expectation better this year. Last year, the seemed defeated by finals week and limped through their last few shows. So perhaps you give them a bit of space, allow them some time to develop their new path and just chill

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cowtown said:

For that to be the case, then the fans, staff and members need to manage expectation better this year. Last year, the seemed defeated by finals week and limped through their last few shows. So perhaps you give them a bit of space, allow them some time to develop their new path and just chill

Agreed

There was a ton going on last year behind the scenes. Even ST was morbid 

this year completely different vibe and I totally agree putting expectations in check is extremely key for the members. Want them to have a realistic view of things and then build upon where there are to where they want to be

24 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Last year was a disaster and the many vets in the corps knew you couldn't rewrite HUGE chunks of drill and music 2 weeks before finals and be Cadet clean by INDY. 9 months of their lives ruined because of an incompetent job done by that staff. The kids knew where they should be and where they were. These were lots of the same kids who marched 2015 with a top tier Brass/percussion and musical program. They weren't oblivious to the stark difference. 

Edited by Tobias

4 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Last year was a disaster and the many vets in the corps knew you couldn't rewrite HUGE chunks of drill and music 2 weeks before finals and be Cadet clean by INDY. 9 months of their lives ruined because of an incompetent job done by that staff. The kids knew where they should be and where they were. 

I have to disagree with the assessment that last year was a disaster.  And I especially disagree with the statement that 9 months of the kids lives were "ruined".  I actually enjoyed a lot of last year's show, from a musical standpoint.  How they were judged to be worse than the Cavies is beyond my comprehension.

That being said, I do agree that this year's show has way more potential than last year, from the limited stuff I have seen so far.  I think several things in the show this year will be brilliant, even at the beginning of the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I have to disagree with the assessment that last year was a disaster.  And I especially disagree with the statement that 9 months of the kids lives were "ruined".  I actually enjoyed a lot of last year's show, from a musical standpoint.  How they were judged to be worse than the Cavies is beyond my comprehension.

That being said, I do agree that this year's show has way more potential than last year, from the limited stuff I have seen so far.  I think several things in the show this year will be brilliant, even at the beginning of the season.

Maybe I overembellished a bit for effect but kids don't go to Cadets to perform a poorly constructed show and come in 6th. YES, I think the judges were harsh and certainly didn't think Cavies should have beat them and with that gap but when you rewrite a show mutiple times and even change the title several times, the message you send to the judging community is "we didn't think this out at all in the off season". This year a huge chunk of solid Cadets vets either moved to other corps or aren't doing drumcorps. So I stand by my disaster adjective.

But yes, a new season is upon us and yes they seem to be in a more typical Cadets corps than last year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Maybe I overembellished a bit for effect but kids don't go to Cadets to perform a poorly constructed show and come in 6th. YES, I think the judges were harsh and certainly didn't think Cavies should have beat them and with that gap but when you rewrite a show mutiple times and even change the title several times, the message you send to the judging community is "we didn't think this out at all in the off season". This year a huge chunk of solid Cadets vets either moved to other corps or aren't doing drumcorps. So I stand by my disaster adjective.

But yes, a new season is upon us and yes they seem to be in a more typical Cadets corps than last year.

That might be even more motivation for Cavies to put the explanation point behind a victory over Cadets. Let the best BandCorps win.

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1