Cadets 2017

8 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

That might be even more motivation for Cavies to put the explanation point behond a victory over Cadets. Let the best BandCorps win.

Well they beat them so I think they already won that argument. 

18 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

That might be even more motivation for Cavies to put the explanation point behond a victory over Cadets. Let the best BandCorps win.

Explanation point? Lol

I think both will be motivated; both have a lot to prove. Cavies using their momentum to get back in the medals. And Cadets pushing hard after having their worst finish in 25 years

Edited by Brass34
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Explanation point? Lol

I think both will be motivated; both have a lot to prove. Cadets especially, after having the worst finish in 25 years

We all need to remember, scores don't "prove" anything.  All they do is show the opinions of the people who were assigning the numbers.  

Of course, I like my own opinions to be "validated" by a placement or a score.  But 10 years later, the score/placement has NOTHING to do with which shows I watch and listen to.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

We all need to remember, scores don't "prove" anything.  All they do is show the opinions of the people who were assigning the numbers.  

Of course, I like my own opinions to be "validated" by a placement or a score.  But 10 years later, the score/placement has NOTHING to do with which shows I watch and listen to.

I like you. You're a clear thinker. I sometimes get too emotional about the Cadets. I think they really took their eyes off the ball the past decade and then I also firmly believe they certainly don't get any love from the judging community. 

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

I have to disagree with the assessment that last year was a disaster.  And I especially disagree with the statement that 9 months of the kids lives were "ruined".  I actually enjoyed a lot of last year's show, from a musical standpoint.  How they were judged to be worse than the Cavies is beyond my comprehension.

That being said, I do agree that this year's show has way more potential than last year, from the limited stuff I have seen so far.  I think several things in the show this year will be brilliant, even at the beginning of the season.

I think he was just referring to the competition side of things. There was also some negativity in a couple of the staff members that I think impact the kids somewhat. Be it justified or unjustified 

im loving the vibe from this years staff, so positive. This leadership tends to bleed right over onto the field so I'm optimistic a good season is ahead of the Cadets this season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

That might be even more motivation for Cavies to put the explanation point behind a victory over Cadets. Let the best BandCorps win.

Eh people don't really work that way. But I do think Cavaliers and Cadets are both fully motivated 

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I think he was just referring to the competition side of things. There was also some negativity in a couple of the staff members that I think impact the kids somewhat. Be it justified or unjustified 

im loving the vibe from this years staff, so positive. This leadership tends to bleed right over onto the field so I'm optimistic a good season is ahead of the Cadets this season 

Remember staff members that left knew they were leaving by mid season. 

24 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Remember staff members that left knew they were leaving by mid season. 

I believe that despite knowing that, one should still be a positive force and a professional.  I don't know any of these staff members or the details.  It's just how I would operate while dealing with young adults. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Oh absolutely. Of the shows I go back and listen to regularly, usually they are not the shows that won. But this is a competition. And placing as high as you can motivates the members to practice 12+ hours every day for months. Fans want that validation of which corps they like best. But the members definitely want that validation too. It's not the ultimate goal, but it incites drive and ambition, which is what we were talking about

Edited by Brass34
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

Well they beat them so I think they already won that argument. 

You realize that guys also don't go to the Cavaliers to finish below 6th...

I think Cadets brass and percussion got hosed last year, but not the rest of the pieces of the corps, so in the end that added up to the Cavaliers being better overall.

I didn't realize that Cadets from last year went to other corps. Interesting...