Cadets 2017

1 Minute ago, actually said:

Said in jest, I understand.  But the "libs love the decadence and debauchery" part is problematic.   The unwillingness to apply religious overtones to one's life does not mean one adopts decadence and debauchery.

Don't get me wrong - I'm an atheist, and I can still enjoy Cadets' show. 

If we removed all religious reference from music, there would be too much silence.

We can't rewrite culture or history to fit our own perspectives. A mature musician can at least appreciate the complexity of music, the challenge to the composers and arrangers, and how music has brought beauty which all of us can enjoy.

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Since 2011 is practically ancient history to kids in the 17-21 range today, it's been all Crown & Bluecoats to that agegroup lately, and Cadets are just "old, stuffy, uptight and uncool". [sigh] 

you forgot sexy

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, xandandl said:

If we removed all religious reference from music, there would be too much silence.

We can't rewrite culture or history to fit our own perspectives. A mature musician can at least appreciate the complexity of music, the challenge to the composers and arrangers, and how music has brought beauty which all of us can enjoy.

Exactly this. I'm not the most religious person - but some of my most favorite works are religious - Bach's Mass in B Minor, Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Said in jest, I understand.  But the "libs love the decadence and debauchery" part is problematic.   The unwillingness to apply religious overtones to one's life does not mean one adopts decadence and debauchery.

Don't get me wrong - I'm an atheist, and I can still enjoy Cadets' show. 

I fixed it. It was a response to conservatives who are religious but I didn't want to alienate anyone. Sorry gang.

41 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Not sure. Was there in 2012 when they did a Christmas show? Don't remember any. Quite liked that show and loved the all white uniforms.

Funny you say that. I disliked that show so much at the time but it's grown on me as time passed. 

21 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I fixed it. It was a response to conservatives who are religious but I didn't want to alienate anyone. Sorry gang.

No need to fix - that's why I just said "problematic", not "insulting" or anything.  

The thing is, I actually appreciate the theme of Cadets show especially this year.  I almost think they should have done promo similar to these movie trailers ...

"In a world of dark and edgy themes, of shadowy abstraction and pretense, one corps stands alone to offer a vision of hope.  One corps seeks and offers forgiveness.  The Cadets, coming to theaters tonight."

Edited by Eleran
to improve the rhetoric
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Like Kathy Lee needed Regis

I wonder if there will be any discomfort about such a religious show from more conservative audience members 

Only because the Cadets are doing it. If BD did a show like this people would pee and jump up and down claiming it was the best show ever..:angel1:

• Like 2