Cadets 2017

8 hours ago, FTNK said:

Concerns about the costumes. I don't think they'll ever get them to look well fitted/"clean" because of the 3 different layers. Sometimes it's hard to fit the corps in 1 uniform, especially as people lose weight, let alone 3.

Well, it's not really three costumes for the musicians - just two:  the white unitard and the red coat/skirt.  They just pull the skirt off several minutes before they pull the coat off, so it gives three looks, but it's only two layers.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Sure, but even of the fad is originating in the Indoor arena... it's still chasing.  If it's not chasing the style of the indoor scene, then it is certainly chasing the accused forerunners of chasing the indoor scene.  I'm not about to pick apart the costumes and the changes to bolster my point.  They just kinda followed something that they didn't have to.  I firmly believe that they can win in their classic uniforms.  The uniforms are not and never have been a problem until they were made a problem (IMO).

I don't disagree on the uniform. It's the judges forcing that - they heard it ALL last year. All the year before and ever since 2004 or so. It's gotten to the point where the DCI judging community "hates' the Cadets M&G apparently :(

When you listen to tape after tape complaining about the M&G color vs. the flags, the military look vs. the "theme" etc eventually you try something else

Last time they won in the traditional uniform was 2000 - 18 seasons ago!

2005 they had the modified Zone look. 2011 we all remember. Even 2012 they got improved feedback in the white but judges didn't like the "military" look with the theme

So there ya go. 

Sad but true...

That said - I hope the ending is brilliant visually (drill etc) and that they do make some changes to the "mosh pit" section lol. A little too "ordinary"

Also - agree on your narration comment. Less would be more

• Like 2

Just now, Fan of the Arts said:

You have not met or know the Cadets sewing crew. I'll just say your way off on the care and fitting of the costumes.  Costumes are not what Cadets are worrying about right now.  But you go right ahead.  I'll say Linda and her crew have done a fabulous job with the costumes considering how many changes the Cadets do.  I look forward to seeing this show grow because it will ladies and gentlemen.  Now....."let us pray".

Fan of the Arts

Don't you mean...

LET.  US.  PRAY!!!!

Much more subtle.

• Like 4

Just now, chaddyt said:

Don't you mean...

LET.  US.  PRAY!!!!

Much more subtle.

Too funny and too true. They are being too literal to the original 

It's a 3 hour production where the "irony" comes out - vs. just being "yelled at" in a football stadium in the middle of a 10 minute band show lol

• Like 3

Just now, George Dixon said:

Too funny and too true. They are being too literal to the original 

It's a 3 hour production where the "irony" comes out - vs. just being "yelled at" in a football stadium in the middle of a 10 minute band show lol

They're being too literal with the entire production.  I was raised Catholic and got beaten over the head with Jesus less in Sunday school than I did last night in the theater.

• Like 5

Just now, George Dixon said:

I don't disagree on the uniform. It's the judges forcing that - they heard it ALL last year. All the year before and ever since 2004 or so. It's gotten to the point where the DCI judging community "hates' the Cadets M&G apparently :(

When you listen to tape after tape complaining about the M&G color vs. the flags, the military look vs. the "theme" etc eventually you try something else

Last time they won in the traditional uniform was 2000 - 18 seasons ago!

2005 they had the modified Zone look. 2011 we all remember. Even 2012 they got improved feedback in the white but judges didn't like the "military" look with the theme

So there ya go. 

Sad but true...

That said - I hope the ending is brilliant visually (drill etc) and that they do make some changes to the "mosh pit" section lol. A little too "ordinary"

Also - agree on your narration comment. Less would be more

I am largely unaware of that judging feedback issue.

But I would suggest that even that 2011 masterpiece was not really selling their soul.  They did something there that was unique and not really done before... and that's why it was a great credit to them.