Cadets 2017

Just now, chaddyt said:

They're being too literal with the entire production.  I was raised Catholic and got beaten over the head with Jesus less in Sunday school than I did last night in the theater.

As I said somewhere else... The source is a point of Sacrilege to most Christians.  So in a way, you totally got the point that Bernstein was making.  I'm just not sure that's a good way to get your audience to love you.  This is really so much like the BD Re:Right Of Spring show with respect to what it requires from the audience.

• Like 1

To be quite honest,  the maroon frocks are used fairly well- they don't use them in a way that creates an eyesore( Cavalier fan here but the "robes" from Secret Society and the manner in which they exposed every inch of dirt filled up my Dyson).  I was think they kind of had a flair like the opener of Juliet from Phantom.  I am not so crazy about the ensuing costume change or show design. I do love the music, but miss hearing Gino.

Edited by Forevergreen

11 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

They're being too literal with the entire production.  I was raised Catholic and got beaten over the head with Jesus less in Sunday school than I did last night in the theater.

It's easy to edit out a few things so let's see where they take it. Mass is for the theater so I believe they are trying to be too "theatrical" so to speak and compressed to 11 minutes you lose the context 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

You! I'm considering going to confessional. But who wants to hear my stories anyway? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

You have not met or know the Cadets sewing crew. I'll just say your way off on the care and fitting of the costumes.  Costumes are not what Cadets are worrying about right now.  But you go right ahead.  I'll say Linda and her crew have done a fabulous job with the costumes considering how many changes the Cadets do.  I look forward to seeing this show grow because it will ladies and gentlemen.  Now....."let us pray".

Fan of the Arts

Good grief. No one was criticizing the sewing ladies. They are the best!

Sometimes your passion can make you r a little defensive. Everyone wants these corps to do well. We are all fans! 

(Well 99.95% or us)

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

As I said somewhere else... The source is a point of Sacrilege to most Christians.  So in a way, you totally got the point that Bernstein was making.  I'm just not sure that's a good way to get your audience to love you.  This is really so much like the BD Re:Right Of Spring show with respect to what it requires from the audience.

You're right. They're gonna get it from both sides all season

• Like 2

Just now, HockeyDad said:

You're right. They're gonna get it from both sides all season

I think they need to take a few seasons to stop 'challenging' the collective audience 'Right Brain' with an over abundance of 'Left Brain' data... and just throw down some easy to follow feats of speed, clarity, cheap-heart-string-tugs, and fun.  This is what has always succeeded... and nearly always wins.

• Like 1

Just now, Ghost said:

Hope there are no atheists in the Cadets.Image result for religious smiley's

Again.  Bernstein's Mass is much more FOR the atheists than anyone else.  It's a really divisive choice for source material... and even more divisive to choose to present it as closely as possible to the theatrical experience.

The more that people are aware of that, then perhaps the more people will enjoy the show (from all sides)... but I don't understand why the audience should be put under those conditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

They are doing (visually) what I said that corps wouldn't do... They are chasing others in their design.  They desperately needed to come up with something more uniquely clever (with respect to their appearance).

They really needed to give the people some RED MEAT... but this is catering to the artsy-fartsy ideal of excellence.  I love the Bernstein source, but if the goal was to be more clear, coming off of last year... then "West Side Story" would have been the better variety of Bernstein for this year.

I agree that they should dump large sections of the narration (in spite of it's source legitimacy).

Disagree. I think each group has to work with their own uniqueness. Cadets tend to be more literal and others more subtle. It's art. Maybe preferences are different but no right or wrong. Cadets show is easy to read, lots of little things going on and much layering to occur. Last year they came out with a show that no one knew what was going on. I feel this show has the wheels to grow as the season progresses. Let's also give credit to adding an 8 person choir to accompany the musical presentation. Unique and will add beauty as the corps tweaks and cleans.  Some shows last night I didn't know what was going on. It's Cadets a bit more modern but still Cadets with what may be one of their best guards in years. Bravo for fixing what was wrong last year, moving in a new direction yet keeping a connection to tradition.  

Edited by Tobias