Cadets 2017

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

boy... we might as well be talking about political figures here...

Hah. And if you applied my statements to that sphere, I would agree with myself there too

Guys, if the judges don't get it, if you don't get it, well, join the club. We Catholics don't call it a "mystery of faith" for nuthin.  There are many things beyond our peanut brains ability to comprehend. The trinity is just one example. Just enjoy the show. 

• Like 6

Just watched a good video of the show from Indy last night (45 yd line, medium height) which thankfully confirms that the sound balances between corps and choir was perfectly fine in real life.  Last night's glaring emphasis in the theaters on the choir at the expense of the brass was solely a result of the broadcast production, not the Cadets' sound balancing.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, FTNK said:

With one major exception

59 minutes ago, FTNK said:

With one major exception

Not really sure GH is that involved. Honestly think Tom and Drew are calling the shots.

2 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Not really sure GH is that involved. Honestly think Tom and Drew are calling the shots.

I doubt that, very much. George took a corps from out of finals to multi-world championships. I doubt he isn't heavily involved.

• Like 1

So my thoughts on last night…

I enjoyed the music and was fine with the choir and the voice overs. I’m sure you’re stunned but I’m a fan of the original and listen to the entire thing a few times a year and they did a good job with the source material. Well done.

Costume: more shock, as a dinosaur I’m not into the entire costume / uniform debate, it if looks good and works, cool. Cadets' first 2 outfits work, the third needs a gold sash or cummerbund to give them definition at the waist and shape their bodies.  As is, they look they need their diapers changed in their onesies because they don’t fit.

My issue with their costume is I feel they are relying on costume changes for far too much of their visual design and it’s just not enough.  Borg Trigger warning; their visual is completely lacking. They have zero, memorable drill impacts; about the only thing they had going last night was a follow-me guided through the pews.  If Cavies forgot to write a brass books, Cadets forgot to write drill. The drill they did preform was very middling, the sort I’d expect in the 8-10 place range. There is no musicality in their visual package, it’s a major disconnect. Watch their drill from 83 (the primitive genesis of musical drill) for an example of what’s missing. Think about it, Cadets don’t have any good drill :bored:. The show didn’t look modern to me, maybe if they did it in 2006 it would have and I’m OK with that as I like traditional shows. But if that was their goal, nope. The props were too heavy on the field with too little pay-off, it only added to the clumsy, weighted-down feel of the show. A Mass without grace? Yes, it’s early and maybe they can make it up with their last 90 seconds being killer drill. I smell a company front coming as they need to get people off their feet and clapping 

The most worrisome thing though, their members looked completely stressed while the others corps appeared to be having the time of their lives. It sort of echoed that extremely awkward staff video Hop uploaded. Maybe they were all tired and had a bad day or maybe….

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I doubt that, very much. George took a corps from out of finals to multi-world championships. I doubt he isn't heavily involved.

That was 36 years ago in a different judging system. 2016 illustrated a lot to GH I believe. Deep down, he's more open to others now.

3 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

To be fair, Dr. Richard Santo took the Cadets from out of top 12 to top 3.  Yes, GH I believe was part of the admin team by then, but when GH took over the reigns of the corps they had already taken 10th in 1980, 7th in 1981, and 3rd in 1982.  But no doubt Hopkins has steered the corps through financial issues, built the brand name, he has helped the organization to grow, and much more obviously. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

With one major exception

There's so much misinformation in this thread I chalk most of it up to snarky 

so tom is back there writing the percussion, just like the 90s and 2s 

sully is there

arranger arranged cadets in 95

And yes Hop is there 

Edited by George Dixon