Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, mrjaydub said:

Lol... who would show up to lose?  

See below. 

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Everyone but Bluecoats :)

• Like 1

By the way.......I don't think this show is anywhere near being unworkable despite my thoughts.  It's already got a pretty clear structure and cohesion.  I just think clean clean clean, adjust the balance, and trim back and bring  some thematic finesse.  It's the polar opposite of last years show for me.  But at least there's a structure and theme that makes sense and there can be some truly beautiful musical moments.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

By the way.......I don't think this show is anywhere near being unworkable despite my thoughts.  It's already got a pretty clear structure and cohesion.  I just think clean clean clean, adjust the balance, and trim back and bring  some thematic finesse.  It's the polar opposite of last years show for me.  But at least there's a structure and theme that makes sense and there can be some truly beautiful musical moments. 

from what I'm hearing those are the key goals short term - mostly cleaning, a few counts added and subtracted for flow, tweaking (reducing) the "officiant" rollenarration and they will add the ending as well by July 8

I think there's a lot in the structure to allow some easy revisions - with uniforms, voice, etc so hopefully they can make effective changes and really improve as the season goes on. The "sway" section in Part 2 is my biggest question mark. They need a rotating block or something there that dissolves. A bit too much scatter sets IMO

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

from what I'm hearing those are the key goals short term - mostly cleaning, a few counts added and subtracted for flow, tweaking (reducing) the "officiant" rollenarration and they will add the ending as well by July 8

I think there's a lot in the structure to allow some easy revisions - with uniforms, voice, etc so hopefully they can make effective changes and really improve as the season goes on. The "sway" section in Part 2 is my biggest question mark. They need a rotating block or something there that dissolves. A bit too much scatter sets IMO

GH on FB just said they have work to do on that part, add a tag ending that is typical Cadets (compilation of show music with fast movement) add some clarity to where attention should be focused since there's so much going on in some parts of the show and then clean.

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

GH on FB just said they have work to do on that part, add a tag ending that is typical Cadets (compilation of show music with fast movement) add some clarity to where attention should be focused since there's so much going on in some parts of the show and then clean.

yeah beginning of next week they will learn the music and drill for the tag but it doesn't debut until the end of the second week in July - supposedly some very fast marching in that 1.5 minute section

rest of the time - with a lot of rehearsal days coming up - spent cleaning and tweaks

• Like 2

There's a lot of potential with this show, IMO.

But there are also some larger changes I'd make, too. Like, I'd drop the tempo on the "sway" half of Agnus Dei to make it a bigger showpiece (let more of the lyrics get caught, too). But I'm not sure there's space for it unless you drop De Profundis, too (and possibly replace with some of the music from the original bridging the two halves of Agnus Dei), which...I think I'd be ok with, but it's a slightly bigger change than what's being discussed above.

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

yeah beginning of next week they will learn the music and drill for the tag but it doesn't debut until the end of the second week in July - supposedly some very fast marching in that 1.5 minute section

rest of the time - with a lot of rehearsal days coming up - spent cleaning and tweaks

The end of the second part is almost unwatchable/listenable for me.....I feel it can be changed quickly, but ouch its bad.

7 hours ago, whitedawn said:

oh my head. This production in my opinion misses the entire spirit of the Mass. The work supposed to be a big joke with a few serious moments that meditate on life and spirituality, while throwing in observations about politics.

First clue: It's a Catholic mass written by a gay Jew.

It's laced with whimsy and challenge and irony and outright social subversion and except for a few short minutes has almost nothing to do with Catholicism at its core.

Watching the Cadets, you'd think that they were playing Missa Solemnis.

Is it bad that I can honestly believe that the entire meaning behind the work was lost on the design team?

They've approached it as though Bernstein just wrote a score and some lyrics to a typical Sunday mass and took it at face value.  Robes, stained glass, bibles, pews, fire and brimstone preachers...

All of the imagery and ambience.  None of the irony.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tobias said:

Will there be a triple-reverse z-pull? :biggrin: I think it's triple, I can't remember what variation we're due for in a Bernstein show at present.

• Like 1