Cadets 2017

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Argumentative bunch. Geez

ever think that during a three year Bernstein celebration a hype piece by another composer might not make sense? 

Maybe a massive choral sounding arrangement of "Somewhere" would be more appropriate?! 

Just leaving Stanford and thought I would log on here and have a couple bites of crow. Honestly, wasn't too impressed tonight at Stanford, except for Santa Clara. Furthermore, I feel the only corps here tonight that had a better visual design than the Cadets was Santa Clara. Still further, favorite musical program thus far (only haven't seen Madison) is Cadets. I guess I may not be impressed with much of today's visual designs as a whole. I think it's going to be Bluecoats, BD, and SCV (they are remarkable) for the title this year, and 4th is up for grabs. See Cadets 7th at lowest. BK and Regiment I do not believe will beat them. Chop Chop, this crow is good.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Just leaving Stanford and thought I would log on here and have a couple bites of crow. Honestly, wasn't too impressed tonight at Stanford, except for Santa Clara. Furthermore, I feel the only corps here tonight that had a better visual design than the Cadets was Santa Clara. Still further, favorite musical program thus far (only haven't seen Madison) is Cadets. I guess I may not be impressed with much of today's visual designs as a whole. I think it's going to be Bluecoats, BD, and SCV (they are remarkable) for the title this year, and 4th is up for grabs. See Cadets 7th at lowest. BK and Regiment I do not believe will beat them. Chop Chop, this crow is good.

I respect that you had the guts to order that crow. Not a popular dish around here...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

I respect that you had the guts to order that crow. Not a popular dish around here...

Well, I did a lot of talking the past couple of weeks. Has my opinion on the Cadets visual design changed? Absolutely not. But, I think I have the same problem with every visual design I've seen (except Bluecoats, SCV, BAC and Crown). I think they have great designs. Cadets though is hands down my favorite musical show of the season. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, henry7184 said:

I feel the only corps here tonight that had a better visual design than the Cadets was Santa Clara. I think it's going to be Bluecoats, BD, and SCV (they are remarkable) for the title this year, and 4th is up for grabs.

It wouldn't be wise for BD or Bluecoats to ignore the Vanguard. They might not see them in the rear view for long. That show is the real deal and possibly their best since '99.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Argumentative bunch. Geez

ever think that during a three year Bernstein celebration a hype piece by another composer might not make sense? 

Maybe a massive choral sounding arrangement of "Somewhere" would be more appropriate?! 

In fairness (and in keeping with the argumentative theme), the Cadets have used RPH as a hype piece for years, including those where they've performed works of composers other than Ron Nelson.  I would specifically seek them out in the quarter finals lot to get a recording of it every time I've been in Indy.

This bugs me more than the uniform for some reason, so apologies to all those who I gave crap to about whining regarding the lack of traditional Cadets look.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, henry7184 said:

thought I would log on here and have a couple bites of crow. 

It's a meal everyone needs to be more willing to eat.  Wash it down with some sacramental wine.

8 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Cadets though is hands down my favorite musical show of the season. 

Mine as well, and for me music is always first and last what matters.  It will be a show I listen to in the future, which I cannot say will happen for many other finalist shows this season.

• Like 2

I'm sure they will bring Rocky Point Holiday back at some point. It's a Cadets classic for lot and encores.  But I am fine with a break from it for a while. There is plenty of other classic Cadets music from the past to look at.  I love the ballad from the 2001 show.  I have been rather enjoying the Mahler and Grainger clips they've been using in the last 3 or 4 years.  

• Like 1

Just now, jwillis35 said:

I have been rather enjoying the Mahler and Grainger clips they've been using in the last 3 or 4 years.  

Those were definitely highlights for me of the non-show music last year, but are not on the program this year.  And even last year, I'm not sure whether they played the Mahler much, if at all, after June.

15 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

In fairness (and in keeping with the argumentative theme), the Cadets have used RPH as a hype piece for years, including those where they've performed works of composers other than Ron Nelson.  I would specifically seek them out in the quarter finals lot to get a recording of it every time I've been in Indy.

This bugs me more than the uniform for some reason, so apologies to all those who I gave crap to about whining regarding the lack of traditional Cadets look.  

But also many years they also didn't use it