Cadets 2017

6 minutes ago, auldschool said:

Something I'm not sure has  been discussed enough so far this year (correct me if I'm wrong) but the choir for The Cadets is excellent!! Those folks can perform and are perfect for that show. To me The Cadets are using the vocals the best of any corps this year to enhance their show and not become a distraction. 

When news broke in the winter that they were using a vocal ensemble, I wasn't sure how to feel since Dci and vocals have had a storied past, especially with the Cadets!  Not only to I agree with you, but I'm reminded of what innovation is in that programming them was a HUGE risk.  Now the reward!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

I live in DC too. 

I know; :) you have mentioned that before.  I always think of catching a ride with you to a show. 

Fan of the Arts

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

So. Cadets 2017 is looking pretty good. 

I agree, just remain realisitc!  I think the top three are pretty solid right now for Bloo, BD, and SCV.

After that, who knows.....   The show has really grown on me quickly the past week +  Really like Agnes Dei. I think the choir, guard, drill all work and it is very "Cadet".

The ending has promise they just have to make sure it continues to build and really engages the crowd.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 2

I'll be honest.  After the theater broadcast, I was not very enthusiastic about this show (maybe it was the multicam and terrible mic placement, idk).  However, now that it has been cleaned up some, the performance level of the members has increased dramatically.  I saw a recent run-through and thought....oh wow! They're good!  Looking forward to the ending; hope its big, powerful, and dramatic

Edited by Brass34

Vocals in DCI are simply hard enough to integrate and perform effectively.  The Cadets are doing it well this year and I feel this has a lot to do respecting the source material.  I mean Mass can be made to work without the vocals but original work included everything except the communion wine.  

Crown on the other hand...the vocalist is performing well enough but I just get the feeling to make that show really work she has to go.  Vocalist there is only getting in the way of that horn line and muddling the overall effect.  My two cents...

3 hours ago, cadet93 said:

I agree, just remain realisitc!  I think the top three are pretty solid right now for Bloo, BD, and SCV.

After that, who knows.....   The show has really grown on me quickly the past week +  Really like Agnes Dei. I think the choir, guard, drill all work and it is very "Cadet".

The ending has promise they just have to make sure it continues to build and really engages the crowd.

Two weeks into a new season, judges are still viewing groups for the first or second time. New panel read on a show is guarded until that second or third time. Lots to take in. As for who has a hold on top 3 for 2017? If performance in week 2 meant anything, Cadets would have medaled every year since 2011. Add to that, you have an amazing top 6-7, it's anyone's guess what August will bring. Ask the Cadets of 1992 who were getting beat by Crossmen right about now. 

• Like 3

Just now, George Dixon said:

YES Cadets 2017 - you CAN medal :)

Someone tell "dad" in the other thread that he does not have any children on this website. 

• Like 4