Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, defeldus2 said:

Yeah, I don't know why people are STILL using the excuse of "Cadets still don't have a closer in, just wait". Their show is just as complete as the rest of World Class. 

It's more because currently the pacing doesn't work - they move into the 'forgiven' section and then the show ends - no time for it to develop and conclude - and apparently the judges are picking this up as a big issue.  A longer ending will allow that section to develop - so it is more than just a 'tag' ending.  

Now how well Cadets design team does with making this work, is another question and I agree just adding on a 30 section 'tag' ending has never really catapulted anyone up the ladder, but this is more than that.  

We shall see.......

6 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Somehow, the "stigma" of being "cemented in tradition" doesn't seem too bad after all, does it?     

Sometimes it really is "hip to be square"!

Ah, the ole days!  This is one of my favorite uniforms of all time.  The Cadets!

I do think at some point we will see the classic Maroon & Gold uni back on the field. The whole costuming thing has grabbed DCI (among other elements), but I have no doubt a lot of young men and women on the east coast (and elsewhere) would love to march the with Cadets and that classic uniform. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, defeldus2 said:

Yeah, I don't know why people are STILL using the excuse of "Cadets still don't have a closer in, just wait". Their show is just as complete as the rest of World Class. 

Well said! If their show is not complete by now something is wrong with the management/staff. People pay to see a complete show by July!!!!!

• Like 1

You know why I like the Cadets this year?

Because whilst they are trying to become a "21st Century corps" they are not following the trends of chopped up music, of a ballad as their 3rd tune. of not using pit/recorded music as the 'interlude" between each piece. Because they are not randomly resetting to the next spot during said interlude. 

I like that that they are "ploughing their own furrow" whilst trying to modernise.

And finally, out of all the spandex costuming this year- they have done costuming the best. 

IMHO

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Then what's the point in badgering (talking generally, not you specifically) about them not having the closer done? Just let the season go on and see how it goes. If it doesnt work well in the end, then I think it's reasonable to show criticism. 

BK had the same issues last year and they still placed where they usually place. 

My "badgering" as you call it is out of concern for the corps.  There is currently more of a spread between them and the 5th place Cavaliers (1.95) than the 8th place Blue Knights (1.6).  I know spreads can change quickly, but clearly, what they have on the field needs work if they're going to have any hopes of simply maintaining their placement from last year..  But what they have on the field isn't even completed.  So on top of refining and tweaking what they DO have, they're teaching and learning an ending to the show that may itself (if recent history is any indication) need refining and tweaking of its own.

I don't see how that falls in the category of "no big deal".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

My "badgering" as you call it is out of concern for the corps.  There is currently more of a spread between them and the 5th place Cavaliers (1.95) than the 8th place Blue Knights (1.6).  I know spreads can change quickly, but clearly, what they have on the field needs work if they're going to have any hopes of simply maintaining their placement from last year..  But what they have on the field isn't even completed.  So on top of refining and tweaking what they DO have, they're teaching and learning an ending to the show that may itself (if recent history is any indication) need refining and tweaking of its own.

I don't see how that falls in the category of "no big deal".

People acted like the sky was falling for BK last season. They were fine. 

11 hours ago, chaddyt said:

The fact that we have to say "let them get the closer on the field" in mid-July is alarming though.  Finals is less than a month away and the show isn't just being tweaked, it's never been performed in its entirety.  

And yes... I'm well aware that in drum corps days gone by, shows were often not completed until mid-season.  Well... sorry, but that doesn't cut it anymore.  Since DCI started broadcasting season openers, they've been tacitly expecting a relatively complete product out of the gate.  Staff changes or not, it's poor planning, and it puts these kids at a disadvantage.  

As Septa Unella would say....  Shame.

I am in no way equating this year to 2005 but Cadets were getting spanked hard by the Cavies early on.  I remember seeing them in Toledo with no closer on the field and Cavies won with almost a 4 pt spread.  Took until the end of July for Cadets to catch up and we all know how that season played out.  I do agree that the fans deserve to see the entire product on the field, even with a roughed in closer by this point in the season.

Ultimately we cannot control any of the that so why worry.  This is DCI and it ain't over until the proverbial fat lady sings (and is eaten by a shark).

1 hour ago, derek005 said:

Well said! If their show is not complete by now something is wrong with the management/staff. People pay to see a complete show by July!!!!!

well if they attend a drum corps show in July and think they are seeing  a single "complete" show they are morons

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

People acted like the sky was falling for BK last season. They were fine. 

On the longview, there are particular posters on this thread whose almost every post is a negative even when they say they don't mean to be criticizing. I don't think it is necessarily meanness but rather their personality type. The glass is always half empty. Some do have their axes to grind for various reasons.  Their lack of any positive comments or any positive comments without a "but" reveals them for who they are.  ChattyT, HockeyDad, FTNK, WhiteDawn, etc.  I tend to breeze through their posts rather than dwell on their negative life outlook. The corps will go on despite them.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well if they attend a drum corps show in July and think they are seeing  a single "complete" show they are morons

Really?

I remember seeing Cadets entire 2011 show on the field at the theater kick off.  I remember thinking that DNA helix move at the end is gonna be sick when it's clean.  Were changes and tweaks made?  You betcha'.  But the show was done well before mid-July.  

I actually seem to recall this being a bit of an issue for DCI for precisely the reason mentioned... folks going to shows earlier in the season were routinely getting the shaft from a completed product standpoint.  DCI wanted that to change and encouraged corps to get more on the field in time for the kick-off.  Can anyone verify that, or am I making it up?

• Like 1