Cadets 2017

8 minutes ago, dans said:

Blah, blah, blah. Trust the process...really? You mean the process that has watched this once great organization regress over the past 10 years? Step away George...you have become irrelevant.

Do you have some sort of hate boner for the man? Sheesh, give it a rest.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Do you have some sort of hate boner for the man? Sheesh, give it a rest.

Does he? I don't know, but does he not possibly have a point? It's like when Fiedler took over at Vanguard and Mason took over at Madison. I thought those two corps were going to be back in the top top within a few years. That didn't happen in either case. Fiedler and Mason both had tremendous success at Cavies and Star years ago. Why couldn't they recreate that success at SCV and Madison? Sometimes, when you've been doing something for so long it is hard to continue to do it from a fresh perspective. The Cadets were innovators, not so much today. Is it time? I don't know....but I don't think someone saying so has some sort of "hate boner" for George. It's pretty hard to sustain success, in the same capacity or role, for nearly 40 years.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

Phantom TOO!!!!

I wouldn't go that far this year...

I'm still rooting for you Cadets; it's not over. Let us not write them off quite yet, but who didn't see this coming at least once this season.

Either way, it is not so much that Cadets aren't fantastic as Boston is also fantastic. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Yes, you did. But, the difference is the 1992 Cadets had a championship caliber designed show. They do not have that this year, IMO. I think Bluecoats, BD and SCV have championship designed shows this year. Maybe Crown. It's going to be almost impossible for anyone outside that top 4 to take one of them out this year.

Cadets made massive changes to the 92 show in the last 4 weeks. Massive. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

Hey the process looks to be starting to work out for the Sixers now. Maybe it's a five year process that results in a gold for Cadets in 2022?? 

/s

Only gold I see are fugly shoes

• Like 1

Just now, henry7184 said:

Does he? I don't know, but does he not possibly have a point? It's like when Fiedler took over at Vanguard and Mason took over at Madison. I thought those two corps were going to be back in the top top within a few years. That didn't happen in either case. Fiedler and Mason both had tremendous success at Cavies and Star years ago. Why couldn't they recreate that success at SCV and Madison? Sometimes, when you've been doing something for so long it is hard to continue to do it from a fresh perspective. The Cadets were innovators, not so much today. Is it time? I don't know....but I don't think someone saying so has some sort of "hate boner" for George.

Vanguard under Fiedler has been much better and more consistent than in the Valenzuela or Pearson years. They've been taking their time, but they finally seem poised to make a consistent medal run (read: Good GOD Fiedler needed Michael Gaines in the worst way). Mason brought a good old school vibe and identity back to a Madison corps that had lost its way through the 00s, but his style clashed with the direction the activity was heading, leading him to finally leave, and Madison is just now starting to create a modern identity. I agree that freshness was a problem with Mason, but it most certainly is not with Fiedler. 

I don't think freshness is the issue with the Cadets. If anything, they OVERthink their designs, and as a result the shows collapse under their own weight. 2017, by contrast, feels like their freshest show in a LOOOOOONG time. The music is engaging, the visual design is striking, and at least from an early viewpoint they aren't trying to do too much with it. I think the Exodus has a lot to do with that, since I feel George is giving the new faces in the design team their space to make the show their own. 

This could certainly all change in the next month. George COULD mindlessly take over, and we'd have a repeat of 2016 with dire consequences for the corps. But of all the things people (myself included) believe about the man, believe this... the man is NOT stupid, and he is NOT irrelevant (as least as a corps director). Putting his hand in the design jar, maybe, but I hope and believe he learned his lesson from 2016.

People forget, 2017 IS SUPPOSED TO BE A REBUILDING YEAR FOR THE CADETS.

TL;DR: Hating on George Hopkins right now is stupid, and to do so seems to just be parrotting the ignorant, meme-like image that most drum corps folks have of Hoppy without a real reason for it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Vanguard under Fiedler has been much better and more consistent than in the Valenzuela or Pearson years. They've been taking their time, but they finally seem poised to make a consistent medal run (read: Good GOD Fiedler needed Michael Gaines in the worst way). Mason brought a good old school vibe and identity back to a Madison corps that had lost its way through the 00s, but his style clashed with the direction the activity was heading, leading him to finally leave, and Madison is just now starting to create a modern identity. I agree that freshness was a problem with Mason, but it most certainly is not with Fiedler. 

I don't think freshness is the issue with the Cadets. If anything, they OVERthink their designs, and as a result the shows collapse under their own weight. 2017, by contrast, feels like their freshest show in a LOOOOOONG time. The music is engaging, the visual design is striking, and at least from an early viewpoint they aren't trying to do too much with it. I think the Exodus has a lot to do with that, since I feel George is giving the new faces in the design team their space to make the show their own. 

This could certainly all change in the next month. George COULD mindlessly take over, and we'd have a repeat of 2016 with dire consequences for the corps. But of all the things people (myself included) believe about the man, believe this... the man is NOT stupid, and he is NOT irrelevant (as least as a corps director). Putting his hand in the design jar, maybe, but I hope and believe he learned his lesson from 2016.

People forget, 2017 IS SUPPOSED TO BE A REBUILDING YEAR FOR THE CADETS.

TL;DR: Hating on George Hopkins right now is stupid, and to do so seems to just be parrotting the ignorant, meme-like image that most drum corps folks have of Hoppy without a real reason for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fiedler gone now?

But your point stands, they were better with him than they had been without.

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spandy said:

Yes. 

1 minute ago, Spandy said:

True, my mistake. The corps still has his fingerprints all over it, and the Gaines pickup can't be a coincidence, IMHO. 

To those of you basing your opinions on the opinions of others, you might need to think about becoming more open minded.  Why allow a placement (ESPECIALLY this much before championships) to ruin your positive outlook?

Cadets DO have a great show.  In my opinion, the most ambitious corps of this year!

• Like 2