Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I must be the only one utterly bored by SCV, other than impressed by their percussion and guard. It has zero heart 

To each his own. 2017 SCV is my favorite show in a very very long time. I think it has plenty of heart. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cube said:

I don't know what you all are talking about, when I saw them live in Lexington I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this show. It's not scoring well but it's pleasing some people.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I will get to see them in Nashville in two weeks. All I can respond to now is what I have seen online, how crowds seem to be reacting, and what the judges are saying. 

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

If you are going esoteric, you better be off the charts in complexity...a la ReWrite of Spring. This show is just boring. I don't really know what George is thinking and feeling when he starts dreaming of show concepts. Hey let's do a show with deep catholic undertones where we have heavy handed narration and our members are marching in robes for half the show.

I mean, really, show me a high school or college band person who would get excited  about this?

And it's not going to hold up in complexity when compared with many other corps. Cadets either have to compete on show design, charts or GE. Personally I don think this show is top seven in any of those categories. Heck Mandarins gets bigger crowd involvement than Cadets. I love the idea behind Bernstein but if you are going to go Bernstein you'd better not be marching in choir robes with big stained glass window props in the backfield.

Took some of the thoughts right outta my brain. 

I just imagine going to a show with high school band kid. What would stand out from each corps' program?

"What did you think of Bluecoats?"

"Man, that was awesome!! they're hip, they're hipster, cool music that grooves, neat use of props..."

"How bout The Cadets?" 

"What's with all the Christian stuff?"

"They're doing Bernstein's 'Mass.'"

"...never heard of it..."

"they played it in '83! You know, Garfield Cadets! Bernstein! The beginning of the threepeat!"

"I was born in 2002..."

• Like 1

I gotta crash and hit y'all with another blast tomorrow, but--

it occurs to me that at a deep, "molecular" level, this show is the same as 2015.

2015--Playing a very faithful arrangement of Shostakovich 10 --> everything is covered in 10s, body movement is full of X shapes, drill is full of Xs (Roman numeral 10)

2017--Playing a very faithful arrangement of Mass --> everything is covered in crosses, body movement is full of praying hands, drill is full of crosses

Neither concept went much deeper than that

'nother thought-- this is the best use and integration and execution of live singing ever in drum corps, and it's wasted because the program has so many other problems

Edited by FTNK
I love to ramble
  • Like 6

Really enjoyed the changes Cadets made. Great show for them in a rebuilding year that will end in 6th.  Wish they had a better way of changing into last costume- feels like it takes too long. Like new ending. Now they need to get clean!!

56 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Took some of the thoughts right outta my brain. 

I just imagine going to a show with high school band kid. What would stand out from each corps' program?

"What did you think of Bluecoats?"

"Man, that was awesome!! they're hip, they're hipster, cool music that grooves, neat use of props..."

"How bout The Cadets?" 

"What's with all the Christian stuff?"

"They're doing Bernstein's 'Mass.'"

"...never heard of it..."

"they played it in '83! You know, Garfield Cadets! Bernstein! The beginning of the threepeat!"

"I was born in 2002..."

I know a LOT of younger folks who like music from artists in the 70s, 80s, & 90s over many of today's artists, so I would assume that younger drumcorps fans would be checking out older shows too?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonwoody said:

Ending seems to start. stop, start, stop. Members unsure and it shows, Maybe they should have stuck to the run & gun idea. This has Georges finger prints all over it.

You know it's bad when Jonwoody is negative lol

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

If you are going esoteric, you better be off the charts in complexity...a la ReWrite of Spring. This show is just boring. I don't really know what George is thinking and feeling when he starts dreaming of show concepts. Hey let's do a show with deep catholic undertones where we have heavy handed narration and our members are marching in robes for half the show.

I mean, really, show me a high school or college band person who would get excited  about this?

And it's not going to hold up in complexity when compared with many other corps. Cadets either have to compete on show design, charts or GE. Personally I don think this show is top seven in any of those categories. Heck Mandarins gets bigger crowd involvement than Cadets. I love the idea behind Bernstein but if you are going to go Bernstein you'd better not be marching in choir robes with big stained glass window props in the backfield.

I think a lot of people see this show differently. I do not find the show boring at all.  I find it filled with good costuming, awesome music (love Mass) that is arranged and performed really well, and some solid visual and staging from a corps not known for staging but for "run and gun." 

As for paragraph 2 you are generalizing HS kids.  It's my kind of high school kid that would have LOVED this show.  I did not care for pop, alternative, bad and butchered jazz, and even some rock of my day.  And even of the stuff I liked I didn't want to spend a summer busting my butt marching it.  I wanted to play classical music, early American symphonic music, wind ensemble literature, and in general shows with a more serious overtone.  There are plenty of kids out there going to conservatories and high-end music performance colleges that if they did march would want nothing to do with some of the "cool" stuff going on.  Give me a choice between a big band gig or playing Brahms Symphony No. 2...and I'm taking Brahms ALL DAY!  For clarification I love big band music.  I toured with the Glenn Miller Orchestra for several years and perform with the Savoy Big Band and the First Class Jazz Orchestra here in NE Ohio.

Now thankfully I get to play both styles here in Ohio as I do a lot of big band and orchestra (and a lot of chamber too).  But my point is you are generalizing kids interests. You think you know what people like.  You've narrowed it down by blasting anyone who would love to play Bernstein.  Believe it or not there are kids marching drum corps who prefer the serious over the cool, or the classical over the jazz, or real jazz over new age or pop, or wind ensemble lit over alternative.  And not many corps play real jazz anymore. 

I get that people are iffy with the level of vocals coming from Cadets.  This is the most we've ever seen or heard a vocal group (an octet in this case) used in a show. Personally I am loving it, and they are really fantastic.  I love all the "I can't hear the brass" comments or the "I just wanna hear brass and drums."  I hear the brass just fine and I love the coordination. But I get it, the vocals are acquired taste and tend to mess with the musical taste or their traditional view of drum corps.  It's ok to NOT like this show.  I am not here telling people they should like it.  My gripe is with the stereotyping.  It's not ok to generalize high school or college kids interests. 

The Cadets are absolutely fine at this point. Their show is finished and they can clean and also perhaps pull some stuff out of the show. It is not a perfect show by any means (then again, who has a perfect show?).  They do have a very good show that happens to be VASTLY better than last year.  That is a step up considering what they went through.  They are a younger and less experienced corps, so when I consider that I am impressed with what I am seeing. That 81.2 last night was a nice score for them.  And I think this year placement does not matter.  They can take 6th, 7th, even 8th, and I think this was a step up from last year.  Can they improve some things with this show -- oh heck yes!  I am not unaware of some of the show's shortcomings, I just choose not to beat them to death. In particular I think they can back off on too much symbolism (especially at the end), and I do wish the percussion had a longer feature. They can probably back the choir down in a few sections, and they will need to smooth out the uniform changes.  The show has a really nice flow for the most part.  I think I liked it better when the back panels were crunched more toward the back, stage-right end zone (from audience perspective). The music also needs to build a bit more effectively to the final company front at the end.  But with a full show now on the field, they should have time for tweaks while cleaning. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The only score that perplexed me tonight is how the heck Cavaliers were so close to SCV

as far as Cadets they are flat out dirty and they really need to take a lot of things out of the show to allow one to focus, narration can go, robes for brass can go, some of the electronics can go 

less is more especially when the more is pretty dirty 

Cavies are for real, that's why. 

I do agree that Vanguard's show is pretty lifeless for me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Esoteric is one of the last words I would use to describe this show...