Cadets 2017

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I know except for San Antonio performance times you can't compare scores from one contest to another, I mean different slates, different venue conditions, different weather, different grass conditions, different concessions, BUT

Cadets outpointed Boston by a full point tonite. Let the next 37 years begin. Just saying,, in a purely fraternal Go East way.

While it is fun to compare, as you know, this literally means nothing

a better comparison is using the like opponent, in this case Crossmen

Tonight Boston beat Crossmen by 5.2 points

Cadets beat Crossmen by 4.4 ish point in Saturday 

suggeat Boston is already by about .8 similar to their last head to head 

• Like 1

I really think the corps is on a roll.  It was fun to see the members getting into the jazz section.  Even the choir and pit were jamming!  I counted several 6s tossed by the rifles and they were clean.  

Question:  I always remember the Cadets marching 10 tubas/contras.  They had 12 out there tonight.  I think this was a great show for having several people march their first contest.  

I really like the gold cummerbund in the 2nd uniform.  I forgot to say the trombone feature was on!  

I know this is going to sound strange, I really hope the Cadets finish higher; however, I am so impressed with the show that it not going to be the end of the world if they don't.  My favorite shows don't always win!  :( 

Edited by dcikon2
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, dcikon2 said:

I really think the corps is on a roll.  It was fun to see the members getting into the jazz section.  Even the choir and pit were jamming!  I counted several 6s tossed by the rifles and they were clean.  

Question:  I always remember the Cadets marching 10 tubas/contras.  They had 12 out there tonight.  I think this was a great show for having several people march their first contest.  

I really like the gold cummerbund in the 2nd uniform.  I forgot to say the trombone feature was on!  

I know this is going to sound strange, I really hope the Cadets finish higher; however, I am so impressed with the show that it not going to be the end of the world if they don't.  My favorite shows don't always win!  :( 

Most years Cadets march 12. They used 10 in 15 and 16

26 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I know except for San Antonio performance times you can't compare scores from one contest to another, I mean different slates, different venue conditions, different weather, different grass conditions, different concessions, BUT

Cadets outpointed Boston by a full point tonite. Let the next 37 years begin. Just saying,, in a purely fraternal Go East way.

You are being disingenuous and you know it...they were NOT head to head tonight...You can't argue that.

• Like 2

My observation from watching the corps is that the mood of the performers is: 

1. They understand they have been working through injuries and the challenges of doing some things that have never been tried before and with a staff that is still getting in synch themselves. 

2. They believe that when they have everyone on the field for a sustained period that they will not only keep improving, but will start to accelerate.

3. They don't see the criticism in places like this.  They are in a bubble and happy to be there.

4. They seem to have grown to like each other's company a lot, which is something you either have or you don't. 

5. Although they are a young corps, they are acting like a professional team that lost a few games early, but knows that if they are patient that things will work out.  Sometimes it doesn't work out - this is not a science - but if things get moving, the momentum can carry beyond what seemed possible at first.

Maybe it was low expectations, but I'm enjoying watching this unfold.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Icer said:

My observation from watching the corps is that the mood of the performers is: 

1. They understand they have been working through injuries and the challenges of doing some things that have never been tried before and with a staff that is still getting in synch themselves. 

2. They believe that when they have everyone on the field for a sustained period that they will not only keep improving, but will start to accelerate.

3. They don't see the criticism in places like this.  They are in a bubble and happy to be there.

4. They seem to have grown to like each other's company a lot, which is something you either have or you don't. 

5. Although they are a young corps, they are acting like a professional team that lost a few games early, but knows that if they are patient that things will work out.  Sometimes it doesn't work out - this is not a science - but if things get moving, the momentum can carry beyond what seemed possible at first.

Maybe it was low expectations, but I'm enjoying watching this unfold.

This is good to see.  I may not be a fan of what they've been given from a show standpoint, but you never want 150 kids to sacrifice their summer and a small fortune to be miserable.  Glad they're enjoying themselves and hope they continue to max out their show.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

This is good to see.  I may not be a fan of what they've been given from a show standpoint, but you never want 150 kids to sacrifice their summer and a small fortune to be miserable.  Glad they're enjoying themselves and hope they continue to max out their show.

I think it's a little like a production of Godspell.  I'm not the biggest fan of the musical (except for a couple of great individual numbers), but when I see kids perform the show, it is obviously a moving experience for them. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't say 90% of what I say here if I thought the kids actually read this stuff or even if they do read it, care what it says.

They are in the bubble and I'm guessing that morale is decently high and I hope they are having a great summer.

(Note: This doesn't make this clunker of a show any less of a clunker.)

• Like 1