Cadets 2017

11 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

I really think the corps is on a roll.  It was fun to see the members getting into the jazz section.  Even the choir and pit were jamming!  I counted several 6s tossed by the rifles and they were clean.  

Question:  I always remember the Cadets marching 10 tubas/contras.  They had 12 out there tonight.  I think this was a great show for having several people march their first contest.  

I really like the gold cummerbund in the 2nd uniform.  I forgot to say the trombone feature was on!  

I know this is going to sound strange, I really hope the Cadets finish higher; however, I am so impressed with the show that it not going to be the end of the world if they don't.  My favorite shows don't always win!  :( 

Good comments. I have said from the beginning that I really like this show. Once clean I believe they will score even better and be one of the fan favorites.

If I were being nit-picky I'd say the brass does not play enough. They need just a little more time in the book. The choir is just amazing. Best use of voices we've ever heard in DCI, but it does feel they are used a pinch too much. Maybe just 20 to 30 seconds less would be good. Cut a little narration, and especially the "For Holy Name Shall Always Be."  I realize that is a church statement and all, but it's also known to many as a sort of battle cry for old Holy Name/Garfield/Cadets. It just feels like the show is pandering for sentimental love in that spot.  Not being an insider or alum I realize some of your will shoot me for saying that. :)  Mainly I just want the design folks to get rid of the physical symbols in the show. Let it be somewhat non-literal. In my mind they are close to having a spectacular production. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Cut a little narration, and especially the "For Holy Name Shall Always Be."  I realize that is a church statement and all, but it's also known to many as a sort of battle cry for old Holy Name/Garfield/Cadets. It just feels like the show is pandering for sentimental love in that spot.  Not being an insider or alum I realize some of your will shoot me for saying that. :) 

Alum here; it's cringey and unnecessary.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Cut a little narration, and especially the "For Holy Name Shall Always Be."  I realize that is a church statement and all, but it's also known to many as a sort of battle cry for old Holy Name/Garfield/Cadets. It just feels like the show is pandering for sentimental love in that spot.  Not being an insider or alum I realize some of your will shoot me for saying that. :)  

You better SMILE when you say that!

997f0a880e44e56153846b8f65df71cf--s-nost

...or at least have an umbrella handy...   :bored:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeD said:

You better SMILE when you say that!

997f0a880e44e56153846b8f65df71cf--s-nost

...or at least have an umbrella handy...   :bored:

Yes, I have too much respect for all of you.  Just don't like that statement in that spot. 

58 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

I wouldn't say 90% of what I say here if I thought the kids actually read this stuff or even if they do read it, care what it says.

They are in the bubble and I'm guessing that morale is decently high and I hope they are having a great summer.

(Note: This doesn't make this clunker of a show any less of a clunker.)

Clunker is subjective, which is part of what makes this worth watching.  We all have a different take on this.  I suspect people of different religious backgrounds may have different reactions as well because there is more or less of a personal connection.

But at the end of the day, it's about scoring.  Gold Medal Olympian Jackson Scholz (the American in Chariots of Fire) once said about football that the most complex play in the world isn't worth the chalk it takes to draw it up if it isn't executed to perfection.  So whatever the show is, the staff needs to agree on the final tweaks, and the kids have 23 days to each perform their part with as much precision, coordination, energy and feeling as possible.  If they do those things, the score will reflect it - it's that simple.  And the rest will be for people at cocktail parties on forums like this (who are important because they support the craft through their ticket purchases and donations) to comment on the aesthetic aspects of the show.

People have described this show as "regal." Indeed, driving home from the DeKalb show, it occured to me that it's like a big, expansive, old-school Hollywood epic. 

Anyone familiar with the film "Giant," from 1956? A sprawling, multi-generational, 3 hour and 21 minutes studio system epic with James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor, and Rock Hudson. There are fantastic scenes and gorgeous cinematography and iconic performances, and there also a lot of times where the pacing drags or grinds to a halt, there are scenes that seem awkward and don't advance the central narrative, there are side plots that don't resolve well, the ending is super cringey and heavy-handed, etc. but it's still a great movie.

If this show were a film it would be like "Giant," where as a lot of other shows are more like tightly scripted/shot 12 minute music videos

37 minutes ago, FTNK said:

People have described this show as "regal." Indeed, driving home from the DeKalb show, it occured to me that it's like a big, expansive, old-school Hollywood epic. 

Anyone familiar with the film "Giant," from 1956? A sprawling, multi-generational, 3 hour and 21 minutes studio system epic with James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor, and Rock Hudson. There are fantastic scenes and gorgeous cinematography and iconic performances, and there also a lot of times where the pacing drags or grinds to a halt, there are scenes that seem awkward and don't advance the central narrative, there are side plots that don't resolve well, the ending is super cringey and heavy-handed, etc. but it's still a great movie.

If this show were a film it would be like "Giant," where as a lot of other shows are more like tightly scripted/shot 12 minute music videos

Ironically, the main theme from the movie "GIANT" is the melody of the corps song for....the Boston Crusaders.  The opening line, in  fact begins, "This corps is made of Giants...."

Interesting choice for your discussion.

• Like 2