Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I like how the corps is eating watermelon and napping during the afternoon heat and running ensemble later to avoid the worst conditions of the day. Smart!

It was a long drive, only got an hour of floor time. It's up to 100 today, so they're running rehearsal in big chunks with a mental break during nap time. Sure makes the food truck job easier for us :laughing:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I could write a book on the differences between 1999 and 2000 in terms of show quality, staff interaction with each other, staff interaction with the members, members interaction with each other, etc. When you come from a corps that has had a lot of quality programs, it's hard to NOT take the placement personal. 

I enjoyed your 1999 show, but I agree that 2000 was just on a whole other level. But, you see years like '86, '91 and '99 were blips. Now these blips are becoming the norm. I think the concern is two fold really - quality and placement, and quality affects placement. 

This years show is a good show. It's a better design than last year. So, that is good. But, it's just not on the same level in any facet as the top 4. I think next year the Cadets have to come out doing music that hasn't been done before, using better props that are effective and integrated into the show, and not being so literal.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I am one of those and I don't make any apologies for it. I know first hand of what Cadets are capable. I marched a year in one corps where the experience forced me to leave. Then went to Cadets and my first year was just as bad as the corps I left. But when the right staff is there and they motivate the members to do better, be better, focus on the little things, and put out your best performance as if it's your last, then you get something as fantastic as 2000. I could write a book on the differences between 1999 and 2000 in terms of show quality, staff interaction with each other, staff interaction with the members, members interaction with each other, etc. When you come from a corps that has had a lot of quality programs, it's hard to NOT take the placement personal. 

I would love to hear your take on the Taxi doors from 1999  :P 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bicsta said:

I would love to hear your take on the Taxi doors from 1999  :P 

Oh trust me, you don't lol...

3 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I enjoyed your 1999 show, but I agree that 2000 was just on a whole other level. But, you see years like '86, '91 and '99 were blips. Now these blips are becoming the norm. I think the concern is two fold really - quality and placement, and quality affects placement. 

This years show is a good show. It's a better design than last year. So, that is good. But, it's just not on the same level in any facet as the top 4. I think next year the Cadets have to come out doing music that hasn't been done before, using better props that are effective and integrated into the show, and not being so literal.

This is what concerns me so much more than anything. It's like they're having a hard time trying to find the right type of show that will do them well. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

This is what concerns me so much more than anything. It's like they're having a hard time trying to find the right type of show that will do them well. 

I think it needs to be totally new - music that has never been done before. It needs to be a theme like SCV, BK or Bluecoats, not a story line. It needs to be not so literal. 

I still think if they took off those robes on the horn line they would fair better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Also, FYI ... I watched on FLO last night, and watched a video from an iPad on the 50 below the press box this morning ... WORLD of difference.  Didn't nearly seem like such an "off" night as it perhaps seemed on FLO with their mic placements.

Reading all the FLO comments I can pretty much assure you it was not near that bad live.  I was actually pretty impressed.  Is the ending still really dirty?  Yes   There are some parts of this show that are really tight and fast!  As has been mentioned here by a few these kids were worn out last night.  I think it was evident in  several of the corps.  Even Bloo seemed to be running on fumes at the end and that show has been run and gun all summer.  I spent the day at BD rehearsal and those guys were dragging at the end of ensemble.  I applaud these kids and the corps' staffs for their efforts...incredible!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Oh trust me, you don't lol...

we have to be a little more real with the fact that Crown & Coats weren't at the top of the heap in 1999/2000

Cavaliers/BD were the "competition"  - if you back out those two additions (and Crusaders etc) Cadets would be in 3rd or 4th right now. SCV has been always been there obviously

My point is - some of it has to do with other corps improving as well. When it comes to placement. Design - lost a lot of design folks to Coats & Crown - so there ya go