Cadets 2017

8 minutes ago, candymancan said:

You could not be more right. I have stayed away from the forums for this reason. I know several members of the organization and it's disheartening to them to see so many people hate on them. People are very much entitled to their opinions. But what I fail to understand is why can't it be done with a lot more tact and consideration for the people/MM/parents who are on here?  It is heart wrenching to read some of the terrible things that are spewed on here. Just terrible and unnecessary.  

Then there are those who continually support and try to find positive even when it's hard too.  I get that that is not always easy but as many have said, those kids work their butts off and deserve far more praise then they get on these forums. 

Exactly - Do I LIKE a lot of the design choices Cadets and Phantom have made this year, NO.  Is it hard for me to get into a show about Religion, YES.  But I will support the effort of the kids.  And highlight the positives that are out there.

Hiding behind a computer screen spewing insults, real brave and mature.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

I am refraining from comment the rest of the season after this, because honestly it is just too stressful.  I will say that the comments on the show thread last night about Cadets were really disrespectful.  It is not only Cadets, Phantom is a victim of this also.  

The kids that march do not deserve those type of comments.

I agree 100%.  I tried to deflect those who were "piling on" but they were on a mission.  I guess when you know people in the corps, or teaching the corps that you care for, you have a better perspective. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

The Madison thread has also had some questionable comments as well.  

I have not been back on there since I got jumped on about a month ago. What's hilarious is that my son marched nine years under the Madison umbrella and aged out with the Scouts.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I agree 100%.  I tried to deflect those who were "piling on" but they were on a mission.  I guess when you know people in the corps, or teaching the corps that you care for, you have a better perspective. 

even if you don't know anyone, there is such a thing as human decency and filtering one's (im)maturity for a better good.

• Like 4

I have been jumped on several times in here simply because I had a problem with what some haters posted. We know who they are since they roam from forum to forum spreading their hate as if we are all waiting for their opinion. I have limited my time and posts here for that reason and will probably disappear until next May once again after finals. I do what I can to support the Cadets and have never understood why supposed "Adults" come here to post hate filled comments. I don't need strangers sending me pvt messages telling me how stupid or arrogant I am because I support something they hate. It's crazy.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

I am refraining from comment the rest of the season after this, because honestly it is just too stressful.  I will say that the comments on the show thread last night about Cadets were really disrespectful.  It is not only Cadets, Phantom is a victim of this also.  

The kids that march do not deserve those type of comments.

I'm sorry you feel that way.  But from what I heard in the discussion last night on the show, the concern was directed at the Adults who created and are creating this show.  Not on the MMs at all.  They are doing a great job given the directions they are given.  This show has (IMHO) the same problem that Crusaders and Scouts had last year.  They are telling a story that they think the audience will know and recognize and respond to.  But they do not do it well.  Last year, Academy told a story and did it well and it was rewarded for what it was.  

Bernstein's Mass is a wonderful 3 hour plus work.  Trying to tell that "story" in 12 minutes is difficult .... can it be done ... maybe.  But I'm not even clear that that is what Cadets are trying to do.  They want to use this work to tell the story of "The Faithful, the Fallen, the Forgiven" using bits and pieces of the Bernstein Mass.  Certainly not Bernstein's objective.  The staff is trying to make it work.  Story telling is an art, but it is not easy.  Cadet's last year tried to tell a story (or two ... or three) about statues and coming alive and maybe liking it ... or not.  I'm not sure it was a story worth telling (again IMHO).  ... And had a hard time.  I'm not sure they are being any more successful telling their story this year.  The story may be more relevant, or for some not.  Telling a Christian story (or religious story) today brings it's own challenges.  And I say that a committed Christian.  And dumbing it down so that references to Christ are absent from "Our Father" doesn't help.  Either tell the story ... or not.  But not knowing what you want to do from the beginning only confuses everyone, from the MMs to the audience.  There is something about trying to change horses in the middle of a battle, that just does not work.  I would have hoped that the Cadets would have learned that last year.  ... Again, this is not directed at the MMs who are doing their "Almighty Best" to do what is being asked of them.
"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jonwoody said:

I have been jumped on several times in here simply because I had a problem with what some haters posted. We know who they are since they roam from forum to forum spreading their hate as if we are all waiting for their opinion. I have limited my time and posts here for that reason and will probably disappear until next May once again after finals. I do what I can to support the Cadets and have never understood why supposed "Adults" come here to post hate filled comments. I don't need strangers sending me pvt messages telling me how stupid or arrogant I am because I support something they hate. It's crazy.

But many of us enjoy your posts even if your humor is at times a little (deliberately) oblique. Carry on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

I'm sorry you feel that way.  But from what I heard in the discussion last night on the show, the concern was directed at the Adults who created and are creating this show.  Not on the MMs at all.  They are doing a great job given the directions they are given.  This show has (IMHO) the same problem that Crusaders and Scouts had last year.  They are telling a story that they think the audience will know and recognize and respond to.  But they do not do it well.  Last year, Academy told a story and did it well and it was rewarded for what it was.  

Bernstein's Mass is a wonderful 3 hour plus work.  Trying to tell that "story" in 12 minutes is difficult .... can it be done ... maybe.  But I'm not even clear that that is what Cadets are trying to do.  They want to use this work to tell the story of "The Faithful, the Fallen, the Forgiven" using bits and pieces of the Bernstein Mass.  Certainly not Bernstein's objective.  The staff is trying to make it work.  Story telling is an art, but it is not easy.  Cadet's last year tried to tell a story (or two ... or three) about statues and coming alive and maybe liking it ... or not.  I'm not sure it was a story worth telling (again IMHO).  ... And had a hard time.  I'm not sure they are being any more successful telling their story this year.  The story may be more relevant, or for some not.  Telling a Christian story (or religious story) today brings it's own challenges.  And I say that a committed Christian.  And dumbing it down so that references to Christ are absent from "Our Father" doesn't help.  Either tell the story ... or not.  But not knowing what you want to do from the beginning only confuses everyone, from the MMs to the audience.  There is something about trying to change horses in the middle of a battle, that just does not work.  I would have hoped that the Cadets would have learned that last year.  ... Again, this is not directed at the MMs who are doing their "Almighty Best" to do what is being asked of them.
"

The substance of your content is good matter for discussion, disagreement or agreement. But the style of how you stated your perspectives is far superior to the timbre of so many of the comments posted last night against Regiment and Cadets. Would that people showed the class you maintain in your posting here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

But many of us enjoy your posts even if your humor is at times a little (deliberately) oblique. Carry on.

Arugula for everyone !!!!!:cheer:

• Like 1