Cadets 2017

7 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

New changes to the ending and transition to the "Dona nobis" 12/8 are great, from the sneak peek I just saw

Cool!! Can't wait to see them!

3 minutes ago, Eleran said:

People love to say that as if it excuses their comments.   But ripping the company front, the brass intonation, the soloist, etc., is directly going after the MMs, not the design.   And ALL of that was present in the Show Thread last night.

That thread got really nasty last night. I was so disappointed in some of the comments and I'm glad they addressed the members posting so harshly 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cool!! Can't wait to see them!

God... I hope the cleaning crew is busy.

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

That thread got really nasty last night. I was so disappointed in some of the comments and I'm glad they addressed the members posting so harshly 

I hate to say this but that was coming for a few weeks. You could just feel some were waiting for a performance like yesterdays so they could jump all over the cadets. I couldn't stay to read much and hope it never happens again soon. It's been a while since I have seen so much hate in one place ( Except at Shoprite on a sale day)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

They did enjoy the ice cream. Fruit before ensemble :)

In such heat, even better than ice cream (which sometimes causes dairy side effects) is Italian ice or sherbet due to the greater water content. We often used it on the ambulance for heat prostrastion cases.

If no Italian ice is being allowed by MikeD to leave New Joisey, here's the list from Braum's in OK cited on the Broken Arrow thread. My mouth is watering. https://www.braums.com/ice-cream/sherbet/

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 5

Just now, jonwoody said:

God... I hope the cleaning crew is busy.

I hate to say this but that was coming for a few weeks. You could just feel some were waiting for a performance like yesterdays so they could jump all over the cadets. I couldn't stay to read much and hope it never happens again soon. It's been a while since I have seen so much hate in one place ( Except at Shoprite on a sale day)

I guess some folks can't find the high road, even with a map. 

• Like 7

Just now, xandandl said:

In such heat, even better than ice cream (which sometimes cause dairy side effects) is Italian ice or sherbet due to the greater water content. We often used it on the ambulance for heat prostrastion cases.

If no Italian ice is being allowed by MikeD to leave New Joisey, here's the list from Braum's in OK cited on the Broken Arrow thread. My mouth is watering. https://www.braums.com/ice-cream/sherbet/

I agree with you.  I can't eat ice cream when it's hot weather.  Makes me sick to my stomach.  

14 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Some things change. Important things stay the same.

Image may contain: one or more people

What a pic!!  Instant Classic as they say....

• Like 3

Well, where do I begin.

I've seen many of the comments on here. And I have seen the Cadets this year in a few videos, the latest being at Dekalb.

This year's show has got to be the weakest show since perhaps 1981 or 1980. It is SOOOO literal and heavy handed with the crosses, bibles, and narration. Drum corps to me is supposed to be entertaining and perhaps a little fun. This show isn't really fun. It's kind of depressing, confusing and sad. The uniform colors do not help. The guard uniform colors (gold, tan, beige-y) are depressing and ugly.The blue stained windows colors really don't go with anything and are kind of useless. There are about 25 or 30 of those large panels, and those things are not easy to move around and transport. And they just sit there. The benches...the narration....stop already. Yes, it's snippets of Bernstein's Mass, which my guess is that many people don't know. This show is like a bad tent revival!

"LET US PRAY!"...like a command. UGH. stop already!

The arrangements of the music. Depressing and confusing. And some of the horn intonations and ticks. Ugh.

The large silver cross being used as a weapon during the 12/8 (jazzy section). UGH!

The cross tarp being used as the dumping ground for the shedding of uniforms. UGH

The unimpressive ending (and weak) company front. UGH!!

My head and drum corps soul hurts!

Where do we go from here? My take on this is that the direction of this corps is not expected and is not the right direction. Given the past two or three years, and combined with this year, I would say that there could be some changes at the top. Hop, is an awesome director but overall who's responsibility is it for deciding what product is put on the field? Maybe Hop is getting burned out and doesn't have that "touch" any longer. Maybe this could be a sign to take some time off from Cadets, or let someone else take over the creative reins. Note - this isn't a dig at anyone with the intention of an offense, but it's very common to get burned out, or lose the "touch" that you once had, and it's okay to admit it too.

These kids in the Cadets are great, and my love of drum corps, like many of you out there, will not die because of this years Cadets version. 

• Like 1