Cadets 2017

Just now, kkpjm16 said:

A marching show is historically inaccurate? Paralysis by analysis...

If they're "educating" then there should be some inherent responsibility to be reasonably accurate in historical depictions.

• Like 1

Who said so?  I don't think it is incumbent upon the Cadets or Boston to educate anyone.  Neither corps has claimed this. It is entertainment. Period.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, craiga said:

Who said so?  I don't think it is incumbent upon the Cadets or Boston to educate anyone.  Neither corps has claimed this. It is entertainment. Period.

Spar ta cus!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wallace said:

If they're "educating" then there should be some inherent responsibility to be reasonably accurate in historical depictions.

To each his own. I hope you get some enjoyment out of somebody's show this year. I don't attend DCI shows to get an education, I go to enjoy the noise and movement, and hope in a few years my daughter and son can take part in this amazing activity. Please don't judge them when they do.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, craiga said:

Not necessarily so,  recent history would indicate that if you don't "educate" the judges, "you're gonna have a bad time".  ($1 to  Thumper the ski instructor on South Park)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Personally I don't think the narration is necessary AT ALL in their production

I like the choir and between all the visual stuff, as you note, it is very obvious what is going on

George - whether the narration should be in there at all is a legitimate question. I would tend to agree that none or nearly none would be fine.  My point was that this is not about offensiveness, but rather about impact. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Again, I would suggest corps should avoid any concepts that require narration, and then only add it if it adds to the idea. Same with singing. I know this is not a popular suggestion with the band world right now, but if you need narration so people understand what you are saying, then perhaps you are not doing a very good job in show design.

Blue Knights' That One Second is a great example of a show that needed a narrator and it was brilliant. For me that show was a rare exception. Again, jmho.

I think the singing is a concept that is in its infancy. It's going to take a while to figure out the right balance. This past year, South Brunswick High School in NJ took the chorale part of the Bluecoats Tilt, put in two vocalists, and the result was astonishingly beautiful. 

Narration is a different story. I call Cadets 2014 the greatest show no one ever saw. The presence of the narrator on a raised platform in front of the corps placed a barrier between the audience and the music that was both visual and auditory. I think one has to be even more careful with narration than vocals, because at least vocals are music. 

• Like 1

So what is the story? Sell more Candy to get the bedazzler 9000? 

I think y'all are reading way too much into using an ankh instead of a cross. I just figured they used it because it was halfway between a cross and this...

snare_drum_2013_look_banner.jpg

...such that it simultaneously suggests the religious aspect, and the classic Cadets uniform.

Edited by ftwdrummer
I can wordz
  • Like 2