Cadets 2017

58 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

I think y'all are reading way too much into using an ankh instead of a cross. I just figured they used it because it was halfway between a cross and this...

snare_drum_2013_look_banner.jpg

...such that it simultaneously suggests the religious aspect, and the classic Cadets uniform.

I'd love to see a drum corps performed in this uniform. It's no longer the Cadets'. Who wants to take it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craiga said:

Who said so?  I don't think it is incumbent upon the Cadets or Boston to educate anyone.  Neither corps has claimed this. It is entertainment. Period.

Exactly. If one is looking for" historical accuracy " as a Catholic ( as lapsed as I may be at times ) I have NEVER once in my life ever heard a Catholic cleric say in an angry and loud tone to the Parishioners.. " LET US PRAY !!! "... and then repeat that LOUD and ANGRY tone again to the Parishioners " LET US PRAY !!!".

This is a Cadets thread. George Dixon here should have left Boston today out of this thread today. But this quest to solve what is currently ailing the Cadets show at the moment, by bringing in Boston to this thread, and then asking for  more historical accuracy is silly. There is virtually NO" historical accuracy" in the Cadets show portrayal of a Catholic Cleric's usual solemn and respectful plea to " let us pray " to parishioners either. Catholic Clerics don't speak to their Parishioners at Mass in such a loud and angry tone of voice.. But so what ?  Besides, artists, producers, writers often take liberties in a work of art or music... just as Leonard Bernstein did in his religious themed music composition here. We all accept that these are ALL Drum Corps show too. Except those handful of fans that are a bit jaded or whatever at the moment, and have a craven need for  100% pure " historical accuracy " in all movies, shows, theatre, art museums, etc that they go to. Then, they'll miss the whole point of the artists work found there.

Now... back to the discussion of The Cadets........

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Exactly. If one is looking for" historical accuracy " as a Catholic ( as lapsed as I may be at times ) I have NEVER once in my life ever heard a Catholic cleric say in an angry and loud tone to the Parishioners.. " LET US PRAY !!! "... and then repeat that LOUD and ANGRY tone again to the Parishioners " LET US PRAY !!!".

This is a Cadets thread. George Dixon here should have left Boston today out of this thread today. But this quest to solve what is currently ailing the Cadets show at the moment, by bringing in Boston to this thread, and then asking for  more historical accuracy is silly. There is virtually NO" historical accuracy" in portrayal of a Catholic Cleric's usual solemn and respectful plea to " let us pray " to parishioners. Besides, artists, producers, writers often take liberties in a work of art or music... just as Leonard Bernstein did in his religious themed music composition here. We all accept that these are ALL Drum Corps show too. Except those handful of fans that are a bit jaded or whatever at the moment, and have a craven need for  100% pure " historical accuracy " in all movies, shows, theatre, art museums, etc that they go to. Then, they'll miss the whole point of the artists work found there.

Now... back to the discussion of The Cadets........

Thank you. 

• Like 3

You can't even get historical accuracy on the History Channel these days...

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Again, I would suggest corps should avoid any concepts that require narration, and then only add it if it adds to the idea. Same with singing. I know this is not a popular suggestion with the band world right now, but if you need narration so people understand what you are saying, then perhaps you are not doing a very good job in show design.

Blue Knights' That One Second is a great example of a show that needed a narrator and it was brilliant. For me that show was a rare exception. Again, jmho.

I cried every time I saw that show.  My mother had died in April of that year. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

here we go again!

And Boston can burn a witch and everyone thinks it is awesome!

Geez.  How about go complain about that for a while... Boston 2017 thread!

but she doesnt really burn. imagine the GE scores if she did!

It is now July 20. With all the discussion about what this show really is trying to tell us, lies the problem with the show design. Like last year, the constant need to add to make the storyline clear to everyone becomes the problem not the answer. If you can not establish what you intended by this time of the season, with multiple viewings either by video or live, your show design is at fault from the beginning. 

• Like 4

Narration? Singing? What about electric guitars?

I want a fury road show. NOW.

MEKq9c.gif

• Like 1