Cadets 2017

6 hours ago, Shewhois said:

What is everyone's opinion on the change of solo in Simple Song?

I think it was long over due..the horn soloist never made me feel like he embraced the melody but rather just wanted to get through it without making a mistake..good show tonight!

29 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

My thoughts on tonight were... videos on phones can greatly negatively influence opinions...because every single corps I heard tonight was fantastic, in terms of sound.  I saw from Spirit on so, I'll give my thoughts on each. 

Spirit, great sound, I enjoyed them. Uniforms don't look so bad in person at all. I'd like more from them as an audience, nonetheless they were great.  

Pacific Crest, didn't like their uniforms, big whoop, their concept was easy to get and enjoy, impacts sounded awesome.

Troopers, I saw a couple people almost trip on all those tarps and not in a pretty graceful way they have heightened balance this far in I suppose lol. I enjoyed this show so much more than last year. Great job.

Mandarins, hello? So entertaining. Did anyone laugh but probably shouldn't have at the guard magic carpet looking outfits? I predicted 12th for them as soon as they ended.

The Academy, I loved their opener. The way they turned their horns to change the heaviness of the sound was so effective to me. The guard was thematic and fantastic! Velvet Knights sort of? This shows meant to be fun, and I think everyone gets that.

Colts, I felt a bit bleh about this show? I don't know what the concept they're trying to convey besides the name. Again, great performance.

Scouts, bad ###. Very aggressive, and powerful! Loudest corps I heard thus far. Drum corps purists you may hate me, but the uniforms are sick. They're all committing to this show. Why not?! My moms favorite show. Would have had them at 12th imo.

Crossmen, first and foremost the French horn soloist! Great job to her. Playing mello for 6-8 minutes then playing a cold concert horn extremely well is hard.. props. Good show, unfortunately nothing really stood out for me in big way, guess it's just personal preference.

Blue Stars, so I hate the concept, but they sold it to me like a con man lol. I had reservations about it, but seeing it live allowed me to see it differently and I really appreciate the story they're trying to tell.

Blue Knights, what can I say? Brass is so far ahead from where they were last year. I love their head strong approach to put out a product that won't necessarily score well (at this current time) but, indifferently, doing so amazing at what they do. So so unique and so underrated. Guard will get stronger after these recent changes = don't think phantom should get TOO confident. Some tech problems in the Mello and snare solos, tech problems seemed to happen a bit tonight with a few corps  

Phantom, this show is by far my favorite phantom show in long time. Rachmaninov made my mom bawl... she so emotional...this show has so much meat musically and I was wowd the whole time.  I noticed the amplification.. and I honestly thought it was done right. I mean it's phantom... it's gonna be loud. But imagine... louder? I know all of us love drum corps for the loudness.  And it didn't seem so brash since it was the whole ensemble, not as forced, I suppose.

Cadets, I love the content of this show and whistle agnus dei to myself more than any other show moment...but it's a weird show. this show is what it is and I hope they'll just continue to progress and sell their product more! The choir seemed sort of turned down, tech probs or maybe previous videos were louder.. in places I couldn't really hear them. Thought using vocals for simple song seemed to make more sense. 

Cavaliers, within first minute even, I knew they'd win guard tonight. Fierceness!! They incorporate so much into the show... honestly watched more of them than anything. The corps came to impress. 

Bluecoats, that closer could be played on repeat for days.  Everything about it screams entertainment, fun, excitement, and innovation of course. I don't count them out at all, however, there was a bit of phasing in the opener, seems this has been a reoccurring problem (tech probs?) 

Boston, this show was.. wow. When dci says you can't make fire... make water vapor.  That brass was stellar.. sounded like cadets :( but nonetheless good for Boston. The guard was so so awesome. Reminds me a lot of crown 2016 in the story telling behind the show.

Crown, sounds like crown from the downbeat. There was a bit of phasing in the fugue, but that seemed to be the most noticeable oops from them the whole show. I'm so biased towards them so I'll just leave it at they were fantastic, before I try to make them sound like they're Jesus. They could win.  

SCV, a winning show. That drum line is a drum line that I will listen to over brass any day...don't really care for the ensemble amplification for the rest of the corps imo phantom is doing it better. The points really is to make the sound LOUDER  not just highlight a few people and blast them on impact chords. You can disagree it's fine we all feel how we feel. Love the guard uniforms. Overall a fantastic show with a slight flaw that I can't get over is all. They could also win.

BD, sucks the mic'ing was messing up tonight.. I heard the solos on the 11th row, that were ###### btw,  but I'm not sure people on the 3rd leaf did, which I'm sure was a bummer. I predicted them to win no doubt and will predict them to win at finals... not my favorite but by no means would I be mad about them winning. I feel the "haters gon hate" attitude BD has only makes the haters hate even more while BD simply excels. Ultimate reverse trolling. 

Amazing job to everyone tonight, what a year! 

Nice review! Be sure to share it on the show thread and maybe the review forum. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, henry7184 said:

I basically think nearly every change has been for the worse. They've tinkered with it too much in my opinion.

:lol:

7 hours ago, Shewhois said:

What is everyone's opinion on the change of solo in Simple Song?

Love it !!!!:dancin:

Congrats Cadets!!! Keep it up !!!!:inlove:

i was not in San Antonio yesterday. I did not see the live streaming either. But I did look at the re-caps this morning and am quite intrigued. There is not a consistency at all between judges in the same captions, great fluctuations (not always positive) in relative placements against the same competitors within the last two weeks, and some surprises. For instance, glad to see Cadets guard out weigh BAC whose guard has been scoring quite well. "The Cadets (7th – 84.975) were 5th in Color Guard and 6th or 7th in everything else except for 8th in Music Analysis." (Michael Boo's synopsis.)

All this and the rumor of GH having 13 pages of changes to tweak leads me to wonder are we approaching the time when all corps start adjusting their shows to who is in the booth or on the field rather than fixing the show against an amorphous ideal? Some of the placements of certain corps sections from Houston to San Antonio strengthen my intrigue beyond the obvious that one show was outdoors and the other is not. I suspect the corrections and judging are getting both more subjective and personal.

http://recaps.competitionsuite.com/27bab4af-bd0d-414f-8ebe-501fe59fae8d.htm

Edited by xandandl

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

i was not in San Antonio yesterday. I did not see the live streaming either. But I did look at the re-caps this morning and am quite intrigued. There is not a consistency at all between judges in the same captions, great fluctuations (not always positive) in relative placements against the same competitors within the last two weeks, and some surprises. For instance, glad to see Cadets guard out weigh BAC whose guard has been scoring quite well. 

All this and the rumor of GH having 13 pages of changes to tweak leads me to wonder are we approaching the time when all corps start adjusting their shows to who is in the booth or on the field rather than fixing the show against an amorphous ideal? Some of the placements of certain corps sections from Houston to San Antonio strengthen my intrigue beyond the obvious that one show was outdoors and the other is not. I suspect the corrections and judging are getting both more subjective and personal.

Yes. The scores within the captions vary especially in GE.  There is no clear winner across the board which will leave things open as to who the eventual champion will be.  Makes things exciting.

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

i was not in San Antonio yesterday. I did not see the live streaming either. But I did look at the re-caps this morning and am quite intrigued. There is not a consistency at all between judges in the same captions, great fluctuations (not always positive) in relative placements against the same competitors within the last two weeks, and some surprises. For instance, glad to see Cadets guard out weigh BAC whose guard has been scoring quite well. " The Cadets (7th – 84.975) were 5th in Color Guard and 6th or 7th in everything else except for 8th in Music Analysis." (Michael Boo's synopsis.)

recaps.competitionsuite.com/27bab4af-bd0d-414f-8ebe-501fe59fae8d.htm

In the thread we have going about GE right now, it was mentioned that a judge (whose tape I posted in that thread) who gave Cadets a 1st place score in GE Music at Massillon in 2013 ended up scoring the Cadets lower in that same caption in the Quarterfinals because the show didn't translate as well to a domed arena. So, it would be safe to assume that most corps will be taking the feedback they received in San Antonio to heart as it is very relevant for how their show will be received in Lucas Oil

• Like 2