Cadets 2017

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

In the thread we have going about GE right now, it was mentioned that a judge (whose tape I posted in that thread) who gave Cadets a 1st place score in GE Music at Massillon in 2013 ended up scoring the Cadets lower in that same caption in the Quarterfinals because the show didn't translate as well to a domed arena. So, it would be safe to assume that most corps will be taking the feedback they received in San Antonio to heart as it is very relevant for how their show will be received in Lucas Oil

Oh I concur.

But as we look at those GE scores and subcaptions whose numbers and placements vary widely, those judging tapes (all four of them) will be far from identical I am sure. One will have to have the wisdom of Solomon to discern which of those judges and tapes are to be deemed more influential for the journey to Indy without getting LOSt. Here I speak of all the corps not just the The Cadets.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Seems a certain someone on leave from posting on DCP (where posters recommended and affirmed that he should audition) is having a great time on summer tour and has made his mark in setting one new standard for the activity.

Image may contain: 4 people, people standing, sky and outdoorImage may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing and outdoor

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 5

I saw the show in Massilon in June.  I loved the entire production from the first note on, knowing there would be changes.  Fantastic show IMO.

+++

I saw several posters mention the change in the solo in Simple Song.  What change was made?

Edited by wvu80

Just now, Ediker said:

A female from the choir sang the Simple Song solo. 

Oh wow, that's a shock.

I was in the stands in 1983 when the original rendition on melophone made me a forever Cadets fan.  That wonderful sound is etched in my mind as one of the all-time great moments in drum corps.  I thought the trumpet solo this year was beautifully done. 

I really like the Cadets choir this year, even though I am not a fan of singing in drum corps.  In typical Cadets tradition, it doesn't matter my pre-concieved notions, they made me like it.  That's what I love about Cadets.

Still, I go to shows to hear drums and brass playing.  Even though I'm sure the young lady sings beautifully, I want to hear the brass playing.

Unless Cadets can show on the score sheet the adding the vocal and dropping the trumpet solo added two points to their music score, I hope they put the brass solo back in.

Not a criticism of anything, just a sentiment from a Cadets fan from the last 35 years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I really like the Cadets choir this year, even though I am not a fan of singing in drum corps.  In typical Cadets tradition, it doesn't matter my pre-concieved notions, they made me like it.  That's what I love about Cadets.

I feel the same. But what I love about the Cadets choir is I don't even know they're there. And what I mean by that (I do know they're there) is the blend in so well with the horns and drums that they enhance the musical experience, not detract from it. Really, really wonderful job on the part of the Cadets team integrating that choir.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, henry7184 said:

I feel the same. But what I love about the Cadets choir is I don't even know they're there. And what I mean by that (I do know they're there) is the blend in so well with the horns and drums that they enhance the musical experience, not detract from it. Really, really wonderful job on the part of the Cadets team integrating that choir.

Imo it's a lot better sung. The opening the way it was felt very blah 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

You summed up perfectly in one paragraph what I could not have said in ten.  Well done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I trust your judgement as I have only heard Cadets live! one time this year.

Still, the trumpet solo accomplishes something else the Cadets do better than anyone, which is to draw your visual attention in and out to what THEY want you do focus on.  The Simple Song solo drew my eyes to the individual and to the details of the priest's robes immediately, setting the tone for the effect the Cadets are playing out.

I can't comment since I haven't heard the choir member sing, but I would have to imagine that visual effect is lost.

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I agree.  For this show, it seems to work better to have the voice in that spot.  Plus it was a lot to ask of the musician to pick up a cold horn and play that solo in that spot.  Too much chance for something to go wrong, and if it does, it starts the whole performance off on a downer.  BD have a spot in their show where there seems to be potential for the same problem with a cold horn, and the soloist had some trouble yesterday.  Of course something can go wrong with vocals as well.  The Crown soloist appeared to be having some issues with her microphone last night.  With any solo, there is a risk/reward, and knowing when the risk is appropriate is one of those decisions that can mean a place or two in the standings come finals weekend. 

• Like 2