Cadets 2017

Cavaliers are awesome, already selling the show great and just getting stronger (see guard caption). Not being negative, just realistic, but I would be surprised and very impressed if Cadets ended up passing them by the end.

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Other posters have been displaying the current season in "tiers."   Seems as those different levels are showing consistency now, and will firm-up as we get closer . . . regardless of anyone's audience-perceived performance level. Placement moves will probably be limited one spot in either direction. I don't see any corps going on a tear upward.

There are some clusterings of corps in the rankings. However, with scores this tight, a particularly good or bad run can mean a move of a placement or two.  

Observation/Question: the Cadets' performance in San Antonio clocked in at 12 minutes and 46 seconds starting from the very first note. I thought maybe this was considered pre-show, but the judges appeared to have already swung into action at that point. Anyone know? They weren't assessed any timing penalty. I thought max show length was still 11:30. Has that changed?

Edited by brassboy

16 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Observation/Question: the Cadets' performance in San Antonio clocked in at 12 minutes and 46 seconds starting from the very first note. I thought maybe this was considered pre-show, but the judges appeared to have already swung into action at that point. Anyone know? They weren't assessed any timing penalty. I thought max show length was still 11:30. Has that changed?

It's now 13 minutes, they've kind of removed pre-show as a concept. Surprised it hasn't been discussed much.

• Like 1

I hate that Cadets are currently in seventh. HATE it. I may be one of the biggest BD honks on the planet, but my drum corps timeline (started in '82) has Cadets as being one of the most dominant corps on the planet, and it just pains me to watch the kids leave it all on the field, but not have the program design to be competitive. 

I get what they are trying to do, but the activity has changed and they have failed to keep up from a design/concept standpoint.

it just makes me sad. 

• Like 2

I still hold firm to my belief that this show is a show that will be talked about for years to come! It's so refreshing design wise, they have really figured how to pace an emotionally satisfying show. Arrangements are top notch, the visual product is so engaging. 

George has discussed changing the opening, I think they need this and one other change (very minor things):

-If you're going for chaos in the opening, I think they need to involve the brass musically. The chords being played in the front could easily translate to the brass as well. 

-In the swing section, when the battery is being featured, there needs to be vocals there, just like there were before. That should make the impact all the more satisfying.

Even if they don't do these things, this show will still be my favorite of the year and one of my favorites for many years! Competitively, they have been within .2 of Cavaliers this season, who's to say they can't surge and that happen again? Boston Crusaders have notched two victories, congrats to them, but it would be outstanding to see the Cadets maintain their placement from last year despite the odds. Or to see them IMPROVE! No matter the competitive outcome, this show is a huge improvement for them and honestly the most Cadets-esque show in a long time!

Congratulations on an outstanding performance at San Antonio!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shewhois said:

It's now 13 minutes, they've kind of removed pre-show as a concept. Surprised it hasn't been discussed much.

I wonder how results might be different if past years were scored that way.  There have been some wonderful pre-shows.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jsd said:

I get what they are trying to do, but the activity has changed and they have failed to keep up from a design/concept standpoint.

I've always thought of the Cadets as being "that corps" who could do the things you didn't think mere mortals can do. The design has always been good enough, but the members (and therefore instructors) were the amazing part of the equation. 

Last year and now this year, they just aren't good at being good. The Cadets have been about virtuosity for decades, even when the shows weren't amazing. That challenge is about hiring master teachers and experienced educators. Instruction causes learning, not design.

I'd love nothing more than to see the Cadets back on top of the activity, but you can't play in that tier where the design is the variable unless you can build the best performers in DCI.

Edited by DCPusername
Capitalization
  • Like 2

Last night was the first time I saw the corps since Lynn. The ending still leaves me underwhelmed. I'm really tired of the show ending in a company front 

Getting set for my new whirling dervish move. It will turn the audience wild when they see the whole line do it across the field. Those other color guards will have nothing on us, Cartwright.

Image may contain: 1 person, dancing, standing and outdoor

• Like 1