Cadets 2017

no real movement from two judges who saw Cadets in back to back shows, judging in same captions both nights.

Sal Adamo moved them up 1 tenth, Michael Gray 2.

now onto Little Rock. Cadets again lucked the draw and are on after intermission, Boston before.

For what it's worth, I like Phantom's show a lot - very entertaining, especially the guard. Since there are some similarities in theme between Phantom and Crusaders, it would be fun if they went back to back at Finals and ended up in a dogfight. Cadets need to do their part to make that happen and get clear of Crusaders.  Good work these past three nights. 

• Like 2

Sorry, but it is terrible that we are discussing the Cadets as a mid tier corps as if it is a good thing. 

The concept of the show is on point; the performance of it is lacking, and that is disappointing. 

Last year, the kids were killing it, and the show was lacking in design. This year, the show is pretty slamming, but the execution is not anywhere close to where it needs to be. 

Again, DCI is better when the Cadets are in the mix to win.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jsd said:

Sorry, but it is terrible that we are discussing the Cadets as a mid tier corps as if it is a good thing. 

The concept of the show is on point; the performance of it is lacking, and that is disappointing. 

Last year, the kids were killing it, and the show was lacking in design. This year, the show is pretty slamming, but the execution is not anywhere close to where it needs to be. 

If you look at the composition of this year's brass line you will see that it is less experienced than many previous years. Obviously this bodes well for next year if they can retain the talent (which is one of the reasons why this year's line is less experiecned). However, the thing about dealing with a team of young players is if the raw talent is there, they can catch fire at any time. A great example of this in professional sports was the 2015 New York Mets. The conventional wisdom was that they were still a year or two away from being ready to compete. But their young pitching came together, and they ended up going to the World Series that year (where they lost to an even better young team, the KC Royals). 

If this crew can stay healthy (which is a tall order now that they are in the meat of the schedule and performing every night in 90+ heat), there is still a lot of upside. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jsd said:

The Cadets are not going to challenge the top four, that is true. But, I am not sure fighting for fifth or sixth place makes them "mid-tier". It appears to me that they will pass BAC and stay in the top six. Cavaliers and Cadets should be neck and neck come Indianapolis. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

The Cadets are not going to challenge the top four, that is true. But, I am not sure fighting for fifth or sixth place makes them "mid-tier". It appears to me that they will pass BAC and stay in the top six. Cavaliers and Cadets should be neck and neck come Indianapolis. 

THIS! ^^^^^

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jsd said:

They are cleaning today, tomorrow all day and we should see a big difference by Friday night. They are getting close to 9s in many captions as of last night, lots of 8.7 and 8.8 8.9

thats the toughest hurdle to climb and I personally believe we will start seeing 9.0 9.1-9.2 ordinal by Friday night. 

2 hours ago, Icer said:

If you look at the composition of this year's brass line you will see that it is less experienced than many previous years. Obviously this bodes well for next year if they can retain the talent (which is one of the reasons why this year's line is less experiecned). However, the thing about dealing with a team of young players is if the raw talent is there, they can catch fire at any time. A great example of this in professional sports was the 2015 New York Mets. The conventional wisdom was that they were still a year or two away from being ready to compete. But their young pitching came together, and they ended up going to the World Series that year (where they lost to an even better young team, the KC Royals). 

If this crew can stay healthy (which is a tall order now that they are in the meat of the schedule and performing every night in 90+ heat), there is still a lot of upside. 

Agree

my reasons for optimism the remainder of the season and into next are:

1. When I've been around the corps a lot at rehearsal this season the vibe is extremely positive, the staff is great with the members and everyone seems to be having fun, be focused and bonding very well. Those are things you can notice even as an outsider. That bodes very well for retention. I firmly believe many of the younger members will win a championship with the Cadets and in 2018 we will see a more experienced and vet laden corps

2. The biggest departures last season in terms of success in DCI long term are drill designer and arranger. I love this years arrrangements, Drew seems from an outsiders perspective to be a terrific leader and communicator. Bobby the new drill guy has done a terrific job, we have to remember this is his first season at this level. They have a drill able to compete in the top six and I would suppose with a season under the belt we will see a top four type drill next year as he gains comfort and naturally grows from all the feedback from DCI adjudication. Finally brass - a bit of a rough start this season but the line is steadily improving the past two weeks. The line has many C2 members with little DCI experience, 2018 we should see them wiser and a year stronger

3. The three year contract. Next season they have announced concerts with the NY Philharmonic, this is a recruiting tool for top talent, trust me... music majors value this sort of thing even as just a resume builder. We also have a winter with a contract already in place and less time I would guess dedicated to NY trips

i do realize we live in an instant gratification type society. But after the staff departures and turnovers I full expected a bit of a rebuilding process. 

They appear headed for finish of 5th or 6th, possibly 7th.  And yes 7th in a way would be disappointing... however in a season with a new drill guy, a new arranger, a new brass team and a one year or first year guard team "holding serve " must be considered a win. If Cadets were to finish 7th to Boston they will have lost to a corps with the top percussion/brass duo (other than BD) a plus the entire top visual design/guard team from 2016. Imagine 2016 Cadets with that visual and guard team. 

2018 if staff is retained and tweaked/built upon (and I believe it will be) and we see a more vet corps (we should) Cadets will compete at the highest level again (vs being a notch below). Let's say 4th in 2018. 2019 they can do anything! 

In summary I suggest a longer view. 

• Like 4

Hopkins described on this morning's video that the corps is in Arkadelphia, a bit of a hike to Little Rock he says. He's aiming more to the Nashville show.  Lets all hope.

P.S. Couldn't Guardling or one of those WGI types arrange for the make-up team to give him a go before videos go live? Certainly jolts the coffee intake.