Cadets 2017

3 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

There are others that could be added to this list as well. Both BD and Cavies come  to mind. Having seats in the first row on the fifty for years, I can attest to how loud it gets; it's like a rock concert. Both our bodies and seats are vibrating hence the ear plugs. Many times you can't even hear the brass lines over the speakers. It's like hearing that person coming down the street with the bass so loud everything is vibrating. IMO it's going to be difficult to put the toothpaste back into the tube, but turning it down a notch or two would help. 

Too much amplification or synthesized bass is a subjective issue. My guess is that the toothpaste goes back in the tube when caption scores suffer due to "balance" issues. As much as I enjoyed Downside Up last year, there were times when I heard multiple horns playing in ensemble passages that were miked and thought, "I'm not so sure about that"!

• Like 1

The Lancaster church bells (used last in 2011) are making a return once the corps gets back to PA

today they are working on changes, particularly additions during the closer (I think new final set of swing flags and some large flags) and also reviewing getting on and off the field due to the revisions at the beginning and end of show

an important set of 3 shows coming up - hopefully the corps will see some score growth and acceleration 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

You may be right on where they place this year....who knows? Personally it doesn't bother me, as long as the MM are having a great time performing.

But, since 2011 they have one 6th, two 4ths and two 3rds, hardly a disaster in placements. The five years before 2011 they had one 2nd, one 3rd and three 5ths, the exact same average placement...4th.

Never said disasters, said passed up.

2012: Beat Regiment (much of early season) and Crown (1st show) and finished quite far behind both.

2013: Beat both Crown and BD (mid July) to finish 3rd at finals - escaping 4th by 0.1 (SCV closed the gap to 0.05 after trailing the Cadets by as much as 2+ earlier)

2014: Passed up by Bluecoats at finals.

2015: Winning mid-season only to finish 4th.

2016: Beat SCV and Cavies, only to finish behind both of them at finals.

No. No disasters. I would be doing cartwheels if Madison or Regiment had this history, but we're talking about the Cadets. 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Never said disasters, said passed up.

2012: Beat Regiment (much of early season) and Crown (1st show) and finished quite far behind both.

2013: Beat both Crown and BD (mid July) to finish 3rd at finals - escaping 4th by 0.1 (SCV closed the gap to 0.05 after trailing the Cadets by as much as 2+ earlier)

2014: Passed up by Bluecoats at finals.

2015: Winning mid-season only to finish 4th.

2016: Beat SCV and Cavies, only to finish behind both of them at finals.

No. No disasters. I would be doing cartwheels if Madison or Regiment had this history, but we're talking about the Cadets. 

While not a disaster but the standard is high. One of only two corps that have double digit Dci titles. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, afd said:

While not a disaster but the standard is high. One of only two corps that have double digit Dci titles. 

That's exactly it. I remember in the 80s and 90s how upset I would get if Madison finished 6th or 7th. 2001's 11th place was the end of the world. Flash forward just two years later and I was elated they finished 8th. Now I will be elated if they make finals. In 4 years am I going to be elated if they make top 20? When is enough enough? The Cadets better figure it out, and figure it out quick, before this downward trend gets out of hand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, afd said:

Sorry but reminds me of reading a mutual fund prospectus...past performance is no guarantee of future results...of course this could be said about ANY corps...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Sorry but reminds me of reading a mutual fund prospectus...past performance is no guarantee of future results...of course this could be said about ANY corps...

I came on here to get away from work. Thank you for bringing mutual funds into the conversation :) 

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

There are three organizations in DCI, two historically, to which this does not apply

Cavaliers, Cadets and BD 

BD had a few lean years in the late 80s early 90s, and then went on a massive roll. I believe that's where Cadets are right now. I fullly expect a DCI championship out of Allentown by 2019 or 2020 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

There are three organizations in DCI, two historically, to which this does not apply

Cavaliers, Cadets and BD 

BD had a few lean years in the late 80s early 90s, and then went on a massive roll. I believe that's where Cadets are right now. I fullly expect a DCI championship out of Allentown by 2019 or 2020 

Exactly. The activity changed during the 80s and BD didn't have a handle on it until 94. There's been another seismic shift and Cadets are catching on. It's just going to take some time. This year's design shows that the wheels have gained traction. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cavaliers, Cadets and BD 

I sincerely hope you're right.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1