Cadets 2017

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

yeah - now if Hop would only "edit" between now and finals - it's like the last week he's thrown everything but the kitchen sink at the show - edit those vocals, narrations Hop - and you've got something good underneath the talking IMO

George I feel they should go back to the flugelhorn solo at the beginning instead of the vocal. Just more pleasing to the ear.

Fan of the Arts

• Like 6

17 hours ago, cadet93 said:

This is excellently written, and I agree with everything you have stated.  I don't care if quoting it takes up a large portion of page space.  More people should see and read this.

It is not just sour grapes about placement.  It is about the future of the corps.  The corps' identity is currently so tied to one individual that there is no separation between their identity and his.  How you change that without total catastrophe is the challenge. 

As GH taught us, you don't complain just to complain.  You seek out the person or group who can do something about it.

So much of the talk centers around being willing to write a large check to change things.  I don't think that is the key.

How long has this elephant been sitting in the middle of the living room? 

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Not sure that it means anything.  Lentz was judging in SA.  There was some controversy with some of his assessments.  Now he's not judging and has supposedly recently helped at Cadets.

And in the future

16 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

George I feel they should go back to the flugelhorn solo at the beginning instead of the vocal.

But if it's going to be sung, at least have her pronounce the word "new" correctly (in formal/classical setting, "new" has the same "u" as "music" - it's not pronounced "noo").

• Like 1

Seeing the show live I had no issues with it. It's a good show there's just several other good corps in front of them

• Like 7

I think some non show related things are hurting them. To me it seems the guard is AWOL pretty much the first half of the show and that hurts their GE.  However I think the percussion is much better than the 8th place ranking it got in Allentown. I think that because other areas of the show lack they are also marking down the percussion score.  I can't really judge based on watching a video and I am not a huge Cadets fan but I do think they are getting beat up more than they should be by judges and internet posters.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

I think some non show related things are hurting them. To me it seems the guard is AWOL pretty much the first half of the show and that hurts their GE.  However I think the percussion is much better than the 8th place ranking it got in Allentown. I think that because other areas of the show lack they are also marking down the percussion score.  I can't really judge based on watching a video and I am not a huge Cadets fan but I do think they are getting beat up more than they should be by judges and internet posters.

they are 5th in GE - seems high frankly

the performance captions are just killing them - percussion is what it is at this point - too many different judges saying the same thing. The show doesn't feature battery a lot - opener is tiny snippets then back field sacet for Simple Song, then they play, ramming notes and constant movement backfield, you can barely see or hear them - they come up to be quickly featured (no section really moving during their feature, kneeling etc which isn't very effective) and then the go backfield for the remainder of the show, not playing then playing for the big push.  I also don't think the pit uniform helps - it is too sloppy. They need to be in the middle uniform so you can see what they are doing.

All JMO - kids are great

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

https://marchingartseducation.com/courses/george-hopkins-on-the-cadets-2017-show/

just listened to this. Lots of interesting stuff... looks like the vocal ensemble might not be a one time thing?

as good as they are as vocalists - god I hope it is

it's a can of worms - it is hurting their brass and percussion scores

very difficult to balance night to night

and frankly this is DRUM & BUGLE corps - not "DRUM & BUGLE & CHOIR" corps - meaning it hurts crowd response (you only have to look at Crown to get that)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

very difficult to balance night to night

and frankly this is DRUM & BUGLE corps - not "DRUM & BUGLE & CHOIR" corps - meaning it hurts crowd response (you only have to look at Crown to get that)

It's rings true to me. I really enjoy the first half of Crowns show the second half is meh. 

There was so many design choices that could have been used for Cadets. Choices - there are times in life when one has to live with the consequences of their choices. 

• Like 2