Cadets 2017

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

It's rings true to me. I really enjoy the first half of Crowns show the second half is meh. 

There was so many design choices that could have been used for Cadets. Choices - there are times in life when one has to live with the consequences of their choices. 

it's a question of good taste and a sense of "good design"

listened to the interview - Hopkins said something like "we of course need to do something with vocals next year, we opened a can of worms and now we need to figure it out and expand/perfect it" (not a direct quote, paraphrasing)

extremely worrisome comment - WHY??

why the need to keep going down a path like that - there is zero reason

very frustrated to listen to - do something FRESH

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fan of the Arts said:

How long has this elephant been sitting in the middle of the living room? 

Fan of the Arts

I like this Fan of the Arts guy but I really miss Irving Fan of the Arts. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it's a question of good taste and a sense of "good design"

listened to the interview - Hopkins said something like "we of course need to do something with vocals next year, we opened a can of worms and now we need to figure it out and expand/perfect it" (not a direct quote, paraphrasing)

extremely worrisome comment - WHY??

why the need to keep going down a path like that - there is zero reason

very frustrated to listen to - do something FRESH

Yes, reminds me of 2007/08.

They really should have won in 07, but the vocals were so controversial. SO GH had to try them again in 08, and we all remember how that went.

So this time are we in for 7th place down to out of finals LOL.  Probably not, but still why would you do that.

Prepare for a singing version of WSS or Candide.  Ick!

Also, now certain Social Media has started the gushing.....this show is the greatest ever, God blesses this show and the Cadets every night for this wonderful production....

Reminds me of certain political progaganda.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

this is DRUM & BUGLE corps - not "DRUM & BUGLE & CHOIR" corps - meaning it hurts crowd response (you only have to look at Crown to get that)

Interesting statement, and at some point it is appropriate to ask what exactly is the product that they are selling?  Vanderbilt and Winston Salem both had massive attendance (the latter was over 10,000 for the first time).  Did these people come to hear brass and percussion and to see a guard?  Or did they come for entertainment, where brass, percussion and guard are the main, but not exclusive, components of the spectacle?  If you have a choice between filling high school stadiums with purists or filling college stadiums with fans, which do you choose?  Given the budgets of these corps, it seems that we are tending toward the latter by default.

If you look at high school marching bands, which started as football half-time entertainment and have morphed into something highly competitive in its own right, the same thing has been happening.  Just look at how many people descend on these big stadiums for the top BOA events.  It is instructive that Tarpon Springs, who has emerged as a perennial power, doesn't even have a football team, and calls itself an "Outdoor Performance Ensemble" rather than a marching band.  Cheerleading has gone the same route as well.

If this activity is moving away from the traditional drum and bugle roots in order to broaden appeal and support the larger financial needs, then the judging is going to have to reflect that change.  If there starts to be a divergence between the shows the fans like and the shows the judges like, that will be damaging in the long run.  Unfortunately, DCI is not like the NFL. The parties don't seem to have a strong an interest in cooperation and the central office is not very strong.  So I think it's going to be hit or miss for a while as this gets sorted out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Not sure that it means anything.  Lentz was judging in SA.  There was some controversy with some of his assessments.  Now he's not judging and has supposedly recently helped at Cadets.

It means he can't judge finals and put Boston's guard in 8th place or lower

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The show doesn't feature battery a lot - opener is tiny snippets then back field sacet for Simple Song, then they play, ramming notes and constant movement backfield, you can barely see or hear them - they come up to be quickly featured (no section really moving during their feature, kneeling etc which isn't very effective) and then the go backfield for the remainder of the show, not playing then playing for the big push

And yet, two months ago you HOUNDED me for daring to say the battery was poorly staged. 

• Like 2

Instructive that two of the top shows this year, BD and Coats, do not allow their monster brass and drums to subjugate to vocals. IMHO, both Crown and Cadets are suffering with their over- emphasis of vocals. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

It means he can't judge finals and put Boston's guard in 8th place or lower

I think it is a combination of both how divergent his conclusions were, and the fact they many if not most expected it.

4 minutes ago, brichtimp said:

Instructive that two of the top shows this year, BD and Coats, do not allow their monster brass and drums to subjugate to vocals. IMHO, both Crown and Cadets are suffering with their over- emphasis of vocals. 

I realize Crown is scoring higher than Cadets, but I have to say that the changes Cadets have made to their ending make WAY more sense than what Crown has done.  What is the benefit of hitting the closing chord, then have everyone drop their instruments and run to one side of the field in a circle?  I like Crown, but that is a head-scratcher.  All it does is stop the audience from clapping. By contrast, before The Cadets added the Amen chord, fans were not sure the piece was finished, and didn't know when to start applauding.  Now with that chord, held out while the bells ring (and obviously supplemented by some electronic assistance), the closing brings the crowd to its feet in a big way.  Score one for our side.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FTNK said:

And yet, two months ago you HOUNDED me for daring to say the battery was poorly staged. 

I did not "hound you"

they aren't featured a lot which isn't the same

you need to chill a little none of this is life and death