Cadets 2017

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

and there is the example of Tom Floats" Oakland Crusaders in the '70's who won percussion in prelims and didn't even make Finals.

I remember seeing that Oakland Crusaders line in 77 at Drums Along the Rockies in Greeley, Co. just before Finals.  They scored a 19.0 on one judges sheet. Then  at Prelims in Boulder I snuck into the stadium just to watch them perform and still picture it to this day.  The corps took 15th and the drumline 1st on both judges sheets beating the Blue Devils by more than half a point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xandandl said:

and there is the example of Tom Floats" Oakland Crusaders in the '70's who won percussion in prelims and didn't even make Finals.

Citing something that happened 40 years ago, under a different scoring system, does not compel. 

• Like 2

Saw the show for the first time live last night. I had seen it a couple times previously on Flo. Just can't dig it. The execution is just too sloppy and it falls into the Hopkins trap where it's just too much cheese too often for my liking. That ending is...overwhelming to say the least. Hopefully next year gets back on track. 

• Like 2

Many of the innovations in drum corps came about in part by the contributions of the Cadets under the stewardship of GH..The irony is that the acolytes have changed the activity such that drumming and bugling are now rendered as support to the increasingly important visual design..Now if that's what this activity has become, so be it...As to whether GH should step down I am not qualified to make that call..I will however suggest that 2017 is a tipping point for the Cadets..hopefully, they maintain their current crop of MM's and improve exponentially..Good luck in Indy!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HouserCD said:

I remember seeing that Oakland Crusaders line in 77 at Drums Along the Rockies in Greeley, Co. just before Finals.  They scored a 19.0 on one judges sheet. Then  at Prelims in Boulder I snuck into the stadium just to watch them perform and still picture it to this day.  The corps took 15th and the drumline 1st on both judges sheets beating the Blue Devils by more than half a point.

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Citing something that happened 40 years ago, under a different scoring system, does not compel. 

Of course I know very little about judging. But I remember a similar thing happened with The Bridgemen in the 80's during their decline. Possibly it was 1983? They came in 11th in the finals but took top percussion. That clearly can't happen any more. I don't know if it is slotting as much as the change in the hierarchy of values in the eyes of the judges and how it's changed in the 35 years since. It could be that the shift from a more objective and narrowly focused "tic" scoring system to a more subjective GE-centered judging system makes it harder to excel in only one area because GE connects everything to everything else. So even if you have tremendous brass or percussion program, if the general effect is not elevated due to other factors in the show, that section does not get the scores it could otherwise. 

Edited by GlenI
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Exactly. There's no conspiracy. The judges have awarded the Cadets what they have deserved throughout history. They are a 7th place corps.

I wonder if Hoppy's going to have doves released and pass around collection plates at finals. Jesus (no pun intended) this show is so literal. It's way too much. 

Based on the number of fundraising emails I've received from him, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crown Phan said:

it falls into the Hopkins trap where it's just too much cheese too often for my liking. 

Brass insturments are meant to be played, not drank from like a chalice. Way too much acting required from the hornline when they could be playing music.

Edited by ThePlanets

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

Based on the number of fundraising emails I've received from him, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

This is priceless (pun intended).

1 hour ago, chaddyt said: