Cadets 2017

Let me preface, I am a FMM under GH. I have had business dealings with him after marching.  I marched in the 80's and subsequently , ironically, did business with Cadets and Mr. Hopkins.

That said, I learned ALOT by my time with the Cadets, and Mr. Hopkins. Shaped me as a person and for what I am now. Our Alum may be the tightest among the corps out there right now. Do I like the path right now, no.  Do I think, despite my  regard for Mr. Hopkins things need to change yes.  But I will say one thing, the current marching members are proud of their accomplishments this year. Young, talented and living a life experience they will never forget.

I get the placement, scores etc. From a fan perspective I can see the angst. These guys and gals are working their tails off. In this game, you do not control what another corps does. If they are better , so be it. I is not football where you go toe to toe with your rival. You control what you do and strive to be the best YOU can be. IF you do the best you can, you are a winner, 1st or 21st. Nobody can take that away from you.

I have upmost respect for the MM of Cadets as they have had an incredible season.

I think a change is needed tho.  The activity has changed, for better or worse. I do think it is time for Mr. Hopkins to step down. Tom is a worthy candidate to take over the reigns as director, BUT not under Mr. Hopkins. It has been a fun filled ride. But times need to change.

FHNSAB

• Like 8

Barring an historic drop again next year, which I highly doubt, I think Hopkins will be running Cadets for the next decade. Very clear the leadership at Cadets is not willing to make a change for whatever reasons, the very least of which is likely the dci placements. People like Hopkins fundamentally know one thing, and that is how to survive. Unless someone on the board demands a change, or else, get used to the current situation.

8 hours ago, cadet93 said:

The plot thickens.....

I assumed Jim Moore and Vanderkoff would be doing Bloos guard?  Not Michael Lentz

Where did you get the idea that Mike Lentz is doing Bloo's guard?  He is not. 

Bluecoats will have 2 WGI guards in 2018 Artistry IN BLUE will continue in Open Class.  Bluecoats Indoor, competing in World Class, will be under the direction of Bluecoats Executive Director David Glasgow. Bluecoats Artistic Director Jon Vanderkolff, Choreographer Jim Moore, Choreographer Greg Lagola, and Choreographer Carol Abohatab will serve as the creative team for the program.  Christopher Drake will serve as Ensemble Administrator.  The guard will rehearse in Indianapolis. 

The addition of the World Class guard has been in the plans for a while and really had nothing to do with Onyx or SCV guards.

Sorry for jumping in on the Cadets thread, but wanted to correct some misinformation.

• Like 3

Does anyone know how man age outs  are in the  corps this year?  

14 hours ago, xandandl said:

i guess GH has checked out of this year's DCI championships already. 

The corps isn't practicing (again) or trying to improve (again). They have (another) 4 hour block for LAUNDRY, only days before going home.  I think that's about the 8th laundry stop this tour. Back in the legacy days, it was one every 3 weeks. I even remember the volunteers and admin staff doing the laundry for the corps' mms in Lenox so that the corps could get some well needed practice time. But those were the days when the drum corps was the priority not running off to band camps. In fact the corps even won some medals and rings in those days, not the ones for who had the brightest tighty-whities.

Laundry and swim time. Good to go. Maybe next year shoot for 8th. 

4 hours ago, Garfield8687 said:

Laundry and swim time. Good to go. Maybe next year shoot for 8th. 

Guess BD must have some pretty dirty whities based on their practice schedule.:sumo:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

it's interesting

when I've been at a rehearsal I've never felt such a positive vibe

and then I come here and watch the scores and I get sucked into the negativity

it is quite the disconnect 

I wouldn't let anything said on here affect you negatively. What you saw in person and felt is real...and my earlier comments on leadership was based on business and not an indictment on this corps. Hope they finish out strong!

• Like 2

GH made a comment on his recent video interview that probably has a lot of truth to it: if they clean clean clean it won't make a ton of difference or sway judges opinion of them where as if they make significant changes they have more chance of changing judge opinion. 

• Like 3