Cadets 2017

32 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I think shakos are necessary; I know ditching headgear is en vogue, but BD is doing ok...

This.

The Cadets fully become The Cadets when the shako goes on. When I marched Phantom Regiment in the 90's, when the helmet went on, it was go time. Any other time, we were laughing and joking, but when we geared up with the helmet, get out of the way because the Phantom Regiment is here.

The shako puts the mindset that The bad@ss Cadets have arrived, both in the audience watching and the MM's themselves, I'm sure.

Edited by fireshane1
  • Like 2

well lets hope they don't get Torcia'd this weekend

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fireshane1 said:

This.

The Cadets fully become The Cadets when the shako goes on. When I marched Phantom Regiment in the 90's, when the helmet went on, it was go time. Any other time, we were laughing and joking, but when we geared up with the helmet, get out of the way because the Phantom Regiment is here.

The shako puts the mindset that The bad@ss Cadets have arrived, both in the audience watching and the MM's themselves, I'm sure.

I like Phantom's use of the two helmets this year. And I agree, the plume is definitely their signature element. 

IMO, Blue Devils do a good job this year starting out with the traditional look (with shako) and then switching to the athletic onsey.

14 hours ago, cowtown said:

I’d give the kids a break, beating them down on the field might not be in their best interest or produce the best results

I agreed! Look at BD's schedule and you will see that they have an excellent daily schedule compared to the Cadets. They ensure that their folks are fed at decent times and that they get their proper rest without over working them. I don't agree on the Cadets daily schedule and never have.

Edited by derek005
error

3 minutes ago, derek005 said:

I agreed! Look at BD's schedule and you will see that they have an excellent daily schedule compared to the Cadets. They ensure that their folks are fed at decent times and that they get their proper rest without over working them. I don't agree on the Cadets daily schedule and never have.

The BD had around 24  shows this year.

7 hours ago, FTNK said:

If hypothetically Hopkins was out of the picture, the designers wouldn't have to worry about including Hop's obsession--the "special guest star" (dancer in 87, baton twirler in 04 (remember that??), singer in 06, narrators in 08 and 14, the violinist and Adonis, the choir this year). More often than not, more trouble than it's worth.

So...basically you want the Cadets of the 1980s with a few added props. The "special quest star" that you mentioned have done nothing to significantly hurt the placement of the Cadets in any of the years you've mentioned and they even won in 1987. This post is more about what you don't like in the Cadets than it is an assessment of what needs to be changed to bring them back into winning contention.

48 minutes ago, Just Here said:

So...basically you want the Cadets of the 1980s with a few added props. The "special quest star" that you mentioned have done nothing to significantly hurt the placement of the Cadets in any of the years you've mentioned and they even won in 1987. This post is more about what you don't like in the Cadets than it is an assessment of what needs to be changed to bring them back into winning contention.

Some are really overthinking this, because they don't want to face the elephant in the room. Cadets will return to medal contention when they refocus their show design decisions and their creative process. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, derek005 said:

this statement would be true several years ago or prior

have you looked at the corps schedule this year? Extremely realistic and very supportive of a great quality of rehearsal and performance

cadets members have indoor facilities, stellar rehearsal fields and are staying in hotels and work indoor these three days

so personally I push back on this a good bit 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Just Here said:

like most of the posts here