Cadets 2017

To each their own. Lol staying in hotels. Wtf is that?cadets do what cadets do. BD.does what they do. The activity has become more of a business. Not that it really has not been. Wins means a bigger share of the money.I think we all need to step back and remember it's an activity for members. An experience they will never forget. I understand passion for your corps. But let's understand it's not about YOU. It's about the kids doing the activity 

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Here said:

So...basically you want the Cadets of the 1980s with a few added props. The "special quest star" that you mentioned have done nothing to significantly hurt the placement of the Cadets in any of the years you've mentioned and they even won in 1987. This post is more about what you don't like in the Cadets than it is an assessment of what needs to be changed to bring them back into winning contention.

Nah you didn't read or comprehend the post

Spending a huge amount of time to get singers and narrators to "work" costs.

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 2

Just now, FTNK said:

Nah you didn't read or comprehend the post

Spending a huge time to get singers and narrators to work costs.

I did read and comprehend your post. It gives me the impression that you are unsure of what you want. It simply tells me that you do not want the show they are doing this year.

9 hours ago, FTNK said:

They should hire a full-time dedicated program coordinator, and construct a show that is entertaining and has a broad appeal. Put concept first and music second-- Hopkins is still in the "Music in Motion" paradigm (which Cadets created in the 80s), where you find source music and construct a visual program that conveys its mood.

They should fire their drill writer and get a better one; I think their drill is incredibly generic and medicore this year, battery staged poorly, muddy and muddled forms. 

Create a simple, but good-looking costiform that conveys athleticism, speed and power--the Cadets trademarks. I wouldn't mind something somewhat like the last suit this year, but with more definition around the waist. I mean, this was the corps with the flying soprano logo, right? I don't think it should be all run and gun, but they should pick their battles and have a couple of really athletic drill moves. 

I think shakos are necessary; I know ditching headgear is en vogue, but BD is doing ok... I think they should go between two modes--"in the zone," fast, precise, interesting drill, field coverage, athleticism etc., and a more "participatory" mode that emphasizes groove and audience connection. ~cough 2000 cough~ Right now there is way too much earnest acting, posing, emoting. 

OK, props are basically a Compulsory Element at this point, but-- pick one you can do, not a whole bunch that you don't know what the hell you're doing. Design a simple thing that can be moved easily by one member without being tiring. I am thinking of maybe small boxes that could be set up and then be used to elevate soloists and sections, that sort of thing. Is it innovative? No, but it works, and I think Cadets need a show that works right now.

If hypothetically Hopkins was out of the picture, the designers wouldn't have to worry about including Hop's obsession--the "special guest star" (dancer in 87, baton twirler in 04 (remember that??), singer in 06, narrators in 08 and 14, the violinist and Adonis, the choir this year). More often than not, more trouble than it's worth.

A concept and look that works and generates goodwill with fans, and a solid teaching staff, would go a long way toward stopping the competitive downturn. Then they can start building back up and taking risks.

Pretty much agree with all (well, most) of this. 

2 hours ago, Just Here said:

So...basically you want the Cadets of the 1980s with a few added props. The "special quest star" that you mentioned have done nothing to significantly hurt the placement of the Cadets in any of the years you've mentioned and they even won in 1987. This post is more about what you don't like in the Cadets than it is an assessment of what needs to be changed to bring them back into winning contention.

The 1980s Cadets conceptually is what led them to be as great as they were so if that's what it needs to be to get them back to where they were, then so be it. Complacency at what they're submitting to fans as of late is what will cause them to keep falling in placement and entertainment value. 

17 minutes ago, Just Here said:

I did read and comprehend your post. It gives me the impression that you are unsure of what you want. It simply tells me that you do not want the show they are doing this year.

Look at where the Cadets were and look at where they are now. Tell me with a straight face that you are ok with where they are. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Pretty much agree with all (well, most) of this. 

The 1980s Cadets conceptually is what led them to be as great as they were so if that's what it needs to be to get them back to where they were, then so be it. Complacency at what they're submitting to fans as of late is what will cause them to keep falling in placement and entertainment value. 

Look at where the Cadets were and look at where they are now. Tell me with a straight face that you are ok with where they are. 

What is being said is very abstract. If GH steps down, who do you hire to do what, because from what I have gathered from the general comments. If GH goes, then winning will once again be realized.

30 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Mr Hopkins was live a few moments ago on FB and showed the new choir robes

Ppf6wyE.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Also mentioned he was in talks with Dan Acheson about doing a west coast tour next year and DATR