Cadets 2017

18 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Wasn't sure to mention or not but....

this has nothing to do with the amazing performers on the field but...

okay here it is.

not a practicing Catholic, in fact far from it, but this show design is incredibly disrespectful to Christianity. In fact to the point of being offensive. Not to mention the waaaaay overdesign. People in the crowd around me did not stand. Another lady behind me was in shock when the Jesus character came on to the field. Another sat shaking her head. Don't get me started with all the dancing crosses and bibles.

this show is way overdesigned and tasteless. I'm sorry. Nothing against the talented hardworking members.

beautiful music from an amazing composer that was simply way over designed, sometimes less is more. 

Strsngely enough though, I do find it better then last years show lol.

you need to look at the original source music / play - it is very similar to the theater version & is just as bawdy and not pro-religious as is the original

in some cases less so frankly, in some cases more so

honestly though I'm not buying all the "shock" - might have something to do with your own perception - they did get a massive standing O but yes, you have the very religious and very non-religious equally "offended" so it wasn't 100% lol

as far as "over designed" and "tasteless" I could say that about the corps placing just ahead of them as easily - at least Cadets don't play "mashed up" 15 second blips of music, so there is THAT

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

irony can be a ##### LOL

this isn't a surprise - Cadets booked it for Thursday/Friday/Saturday right after last years finals when they first used it

Boston grabbed the Tuesday/Wednesday and are using outside fields the other 3 days when Cadets have the inside facility

there are some "connections" between the two corps so...

Hop mentioned in his FB live video that he was already approached about next year (the Cadet agreement gives them first dibs) but now suddenly the price is going UP because of the mini "bidding war"

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

- at least Cadets don't play "mashed up" 15 second blips of music, so there is THAT.

Yes, WAY too much of that!    Been a problem for me for several years.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

at least Cadets don't play "mashed up" 15 second blips of music, so there is THAT

This is the main reason why I like Cadets so much more than so many other corps.  They actually play MUSIC, and not mash-ups.  The Cadets show is actually VERY musical.  This is a HUGE thing for me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I assume Mass got through because George was intrigued by the obvious push back that most would have, and felt he could thread the eye of the needle with cheese. Which is what he has almost always done. Choir robes was one thing. But Half naked Jesus? Seriously? I mean just drag the mannequins back out and build a big-### stage across the front. Heck why not add some sixth grade social studies narration, too? I'm sorry but this is Cadets. This is high school level band director decision making, not world class drum corps.

Cadets do not need heavy handed show designers leading them around the field by their respective noses. Give them a great idea and let them out perform everyone. Let the chips fall. 

I agree 100%

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

you need to look at the original source music / play - it is very similar to the theater version & is just as bawdy and not pro-religious as is the original

in some cases less so frankly, in some cases more so

honestly though I'm not buying all the "shock" - might have something to do with your own perception - they did get a massive standing O but yes, you have the very religious and very non-religious equally "offended" so it wasn't 100% lol

as far as "over designed" and "tasteless" I could say that about the corps placing just ahead of them as easily - at least Cadets don't play "mashed up" 15 second blips of music, so there is THAT

It is kind of interesting that technically we can't discuss the subject matter of the show with violating the posting guidelines.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I am about as "very non-religious" as they come.  Absolutely not offended.

I am a committed Christian, and I grew up in a traditional Lutheran church in midwestern immigrant Ohio, where pretty much everyone was either Catholic or Lutheran. I am not in any way offended by the show but I find the half naked Jesus to be in very poor taste and at best utterly unnecessary to the message of the show. If the corps director came to my son and told him he was going to be playing Jesus for the rest of the tour, I'd pull him out of the corps and never look back. It's so poor a decision that I can't explain how stupid and ham handed I think it is.

just go get Adonis from last year and let him strip down and carry the cross to Cavalry. It's just so predictable and that's what makes it frustrating.

Regardless, it's just a stupid strategic decision to purposefully create a drum corps show that many people will not appreciate because of personal experience. And what sucks is, Bernstein is a genius, and I get almost none of that.

• Like 2