Cadets 2017

5 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

That's not at all surprising, since DCI has been assimilated into and taken over by BOA.

It's just too bad so many are being turned away based upon their inability to fit in a ballerina leotard, rather than their musical aptitude.

There have pretty much always been a dozen or so top level corps at the top of the competitive pyramid similar to the top level of today's top corps. The difference going way back was the base of that pyramid. In my ancient era it was the hundreds of smaller corps that fed the top....today it is the thousands of competitive bands. Hence the need for auditions. There are MORE kids marching and competing today than ever, only the majority are in competing bands (and BOA is the tiniest fraction of those).

In a way, drum corps of the 70's was a victim of its own success. Many corps members became music educators, and those then spread out to the HS band world and started the corps-style competitive band movement that led to where we are today. That happened at a time in the economy where corps were failing right and left, not due to DCI, but due to financial aspects out of their control. Few corps of the hundreds of competitive corps in the early/mid 70's had much to do with DCI; they had their own local circuits.

As the CYO/VFW/AL pulled away (which had actually started before DCI) in greater numbers, at the same time as the country experienced the gas crisis, huge inflation and an overall changing culture away from the urban areas to the suburbs, many of those small corps failed right and left. I marched in a Garden State corps in 68/69, and taught them in 76. I also taught a second GSC corps in 76 that merged with another GSC corps to form one corps in 77...it lasted another year or two and folded. It became too costly to operate smaller corps, and kids got their competitive experience in HS bands at ever-growing rates. Those "marching junkies" who wanted the summer top-level experience did drum corps.

I judged in the GSC from 76-80, and saw the folding of many corps through that time. Corps would merge together in an effort to survive, but on the whole that just staved off folding for a couple of  years (with notable exceptions like the Crossmen).

• Like 6

Official word on the tuba running across the field: He came out of the mens room and missed the beginning of the show
Source: Multiple members from Boston

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You're allowing this troll to get under your skin, my friend.  Just brush him away...

Terri, I am not a troll.  Read my other posts.  I'm bringing thoughts and ideas to the table.  I can't help it if I think their costumes look embarrassing.   You think I'm the only one that thinks that?  No one else on this site pulls their punches, why should I?  Because it's the Cadets?  Are we not allowed to mention the Cadets in this Cadets thread?  Or are we only allowed to praise?  Is criticism off the table?  Or is only criticism you agree with allowed?

As I said, if a drum corps fan who hadn't followed this season looked at that photo, they wouldn't even know that was the Cadets, or that is even a drum corps.  As I said, I wasn't trying to be funny, and I'm certainly not trolling.  I'm simply pointing out that today, there is nothing about the corps that visually identifies it as the Holy Name Garfield Cadets of Bergen County.  AND that it looks like everyone on the field is in the color guard.  Try not to get so upset because I'm offering some commentary from a different point of view.  And just because that point of view does not align with your own....that doesn't mean I'm trolling.

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You're allowing this troll to get under your skin, my friend.  Just brush him away...

Nah, he is not under my skin. Takes a lot more than that. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gentle123 said:

Official word on the tuba running across the field: He came out of the mens room and missed the beginning of the show
Source: Multiple members from Boston

Wrong.......he was representing being late to Mass.......I just don't understand ho people didn't get that.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

Oh, you are a newbie (said the guy who marched from 64-72).  :bored:

I first saw a live show in 72 - so I'm a newbie also! :blink:

• Like 1