Cadets 2017

16 minutes ago, MikeD said:

You mean 2011 for this show, this I believe.   :bored:    

Yes.. thanks.. I corrected the year above.

15 hours ago, xandandl said:

So with a nod to 2017, Cadets twitter gives a video interview comment but it is about C2 from the current brass head there.

Madison Scouts thread of late is currently plodding with oblique swipes at Cadets from some I am pretty sure do not represent Scouts; almost sounds like the Boston thread at times. Peace all. You never put yourself up by putting others down. Facts with cited sources gets more respect than anonymous third cousin twice removed's neighbor's nephew's roommate hearing something.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I'm speaking from a PR mode. You seem to be speaking from a competitive mode - and personally I see 100% stealth and 100% hype as either extremely having 0% influence on competitive results. It's about a quality product. 

Now for the activity (and the organizations) year round engagement is key. 

I'm not really speaking strictly from a competitive standpoint (although I do feel that too much information lately has given people too much to talk about in terms of placement), I just feel like there has been just way too much info from them. Sometimes it is just better to leave us wondering.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I'm speaking from a PR mode. You seem to be speaking from a competitive mode - and personally I see 100% stealth and 100% hype as either extremely having 0% influence on competitive results. It's about a quality product. 

Now for the activity (and the organizations) year round engagement is key. 

How did I miss this post!

I agree with this 1000%

• Like 1

The competitive advantage for absolute silence is nil. Drum corps isn't rocket science. What wins championships is superior music and visuals. In the past, the content that was released in the offseason was predominantly musical. With the exception of last season, releasing entire segments of music hardly affected music scores given the Ott and Sanford nods. Nope.

When Bluecoats waited until the last second to announce I didn't exclaim " OMG! They're performing 'Heat of the Day'! Squeeeeeeee!"

While I wouldn't release as much content as last year, absolute restriction is boneheaded, for it fails to engage the drum corps public for MONTHS at a time. And, statements like "We had a meeting about the show, and it went well." hardly engages the donor base.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 1

(Not aimed at the Cadets, just in general...)

I don't know why you'd want to engage your current and potential donor and sponsor base.  It's not like they're responsible for about 60% of the touring costs of your year-round arts organization.  Better to pretend your end product doesn't exist for 9 months out of the year.

Mike

• Like 1

I'd just like to know some show music and maybe show theme for the year. Nothing more than that.

We can save the behind the scenes for the tour video, I guess.

Is that too much?

6 hours ago, wallace said:

The competitive advantage for absolute silence is nil. Drum corps isn't rocket science. What wins championships is superior music and visuals. In the past, the content that was released in the offseason was predominantly musical. With the exception of last season, releasing entire segments of music hardly affected music scores given the Ott and Sanford nods. Nope.

When Bluecoats waited until the last second to announce I didn't exclaim " OMG! They're performing 'Heat of the Day'! Squeeeeeeee!"

While I wouldn't release as much content as last year, absolute restriction is boneheaded, for it fails to engage the drum corps public for MONTHS at a time. And, statements like "We had a meeting about the show, and it went well." hardly engages the donor base.

OMG WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THIS? No one (well at least I) am not saying anything about the silence being a competitive advantage. I'm simply saying that sometimes it is better to stop putting out so much information because it's like giving away the plot of a movie before someone has had a chance to see it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

OMG WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THIS? No one (well at least I) am not saying anything about the silence being a competitive advantage. I'm simply saying that sometimes it is better to stop putting out so much information because it's like giving away the plot of a movie before someone has had a chance to see it. 

Except it's not a movie. It is music, equipment handling, and marching in different iterations. There's only so many variations under the sun, and it still comes down to excellence not gimmicks or plots.

1 hour ago, wallace said:

Except it's not a movie. It is music, equipment handling, and marching in different iterations. There's only so many variations under the sun, and it still comes down to excellence not gimmicks or plots.

You clearly are missing the point. I give up.