Cadets 2017

I'd like something of a Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland type show- but 2006... *shudders*

Maybe a show theme like "Beyond the Infinite" or something somewhat obscure but that can be related to a personal journey to greatness(something like that). But update the corps uniform to a more modern design while keeping the Maroon and Gold.

Have a musical piece like Pink Floyd's Echoes.

They need to get a crowd stealing show to win back the hearts of the crowds and make them throw babies, not having some weird theme and an (sadly) outdated visual approach.

I fear that we're being reduced to being old style (and not in the Vanguard way of retaining an old feel but being modern in approach) and feeling like we're a stale block of cheese.

A idea for the 2017 Cadets:

"Everest"

"Nacht/Sonnenaufgang" (from Eine Alpensinfonie) by Richard Strauss

"Transcendent Journey" by Rossano Galante (If you listen to this on YouTube, listen on 1.25 speed)

"Serenity (O Magnum Mysterium)" by Ola Gjeilo

"Volcano" (from Symphony No. 50 "Mount St. Helens") by Alan Hovhaness

"The Frozen Cathedral" by John Mackey

All pieces that have rarely or never been performed in DCI, and I believe can really flow together nicely.

Reminds me of a DCPI show I made up a couple seasons ago. Anything to get Alpensinfonie on the field some more.

I fear that we're being reduced to being old style (and not in the Vanguard way of retaining an old feel but being modern in approach) and feeling like we're a stale block of cheese.

I feel the same way, I want to see a new modern version of the Cadets emerge, but in my eyes it looks like it is somewhat hard to do so when they have to retain the tradition of all that stands for a Cadet, eg. the iconic colors that should return. If all that's true of staff leaving, I'm very afraid and not sure if I want to march Cadets.

They're my favorite corps next to BD and cavies but seeing them possibly crumbling is disheartening...

I'm not for going back to old shows, but I'd love to see them revisit the music from "On The Waterfront" by Bernstein, if they can get the rights. That is great music and I'd love to see what could be done with the boxing and rings and perhaps other props.

A idea for the 2017 Cadets:

"Everest"

"Nacht/Sonnenaufgang" (from Eine Alpensinfonie) by Richard Strauss

"Transcendent Journey" by Rossano Galante (If you listen to this on YouTube, listen on 1.25 speed)

"Serenity (O Magnum Mysterium)" by Ola Gjeilo

"Volcano" (from Symphony No. 50 "Mount St. Helens") by Alan Hovhaness

"The Frozen Cathedral" by John Mackey

All pieces that have rarely or never been performed in DCI, and I believe can really flow together nicely.

I absolutely LOVE this idea. I wish they can see this and create this for 2017.

"Wondrous Light"

Frenergy - John Estacio

Gazebo Dances, Waltz - John Corigliano

Such Sweet Sorrow - John Estacio

Wondrous Light - John Estacio

Gazebo Dances, Tarantella - John Corigliano

Cadets or Crown + Maslanka = instant hit.

I know of a high school using one of his works this and I confirmed through a message that they went through the proper channels and were able to get the necessary rights to use it. There is a channel there and I could see Cadets using his music as well as Crown.

In particular his work Traveler would be something I would die to see on the field for thematic and musical purposes. Would be pretty stunning.

Wow you guys are really catching fire! These are AWESOME ideas!

So for those who like my "Everest" idea, I'll go ahead and admit that I was somewhat inspired by SCV's show this year. In a way, it reminded me of why I love the Cadets' 1992-2001 shows so much: timeless, creative, elegant, understandable, and classy. Those are elements that I haven't found in too many Cadets shows lately. I like this year's show better than some other recent ones, but one of the big reasons why I knew it couldn't do as well as SCV and Cavies was because of how it was constructed. The Cadets seemed to split their show into two "halves," and because of the separation, it felt awkward and jarring watching a show that was majestic and beautiful in the first half and then suddenly dark and foreboding in the second.

Also, "The Frozen Cathedral" is a piece I've always wanted to hear the Cadets play as their closer since I first heard it online a couple years ago. All the mountain-esque repertoire kind of came out of the idea that the piece was written after a mountain (Denali in Alaska, to be exact).

• Like 2