Cadets 2017

All this talk about Maslanka and we have yet to mention "Morning Star" and "Give Us This Day!"

Give us this Day is pretty much a condensed version of his signature stuff, so it would probably actually work a lot better than his larger symphonies. I've played it twice and holy God the end of that would be the ultimate face melter of an ending. lol I think my ears are still ringing from the last time I have played it.

It's actually the piece that the high school I alluded to is using.

And I continue to talk about this because Cadets*cough*Crown*cough* I'm looking at ya'll.

Yeah but...I'm still loving Sparke. Maybe Crown should commission a piece from him. Come up with a crazy visual idea they've always wanted to do and then have him compose an original work for it. Last I heard it would be about 2 yrs lead time -- no idea if that's still correct. How amazing would THAT be? Crown could premier the work :-)

That'd be cool for a corps to commission something, come up with the general frame work and then the corps arrangers just do the drum corps adaptations. And yes to Phillip Sparke.

<3

I really don't think reverting back to old Cadets no matter how good it was is the right direction for the corps. Keep the traditions that make Cadets unique alive but design for the future. We have to think YOUNGER. Even though it's us old fogeys that donate the big bucks and volunteer our time, the entire organization has become a bit, for lack of a better term, stale.

I, too, would love to have a "show everyone can get behind," however. More importantly, I would love to have a show that makes the bandos tweet in delight and makes them relish the thought of becoming a Cadet because it's the cool thing to do.

• Like 2

That'd be cool for a corps to commission something, come up with the general frame work and then the corps arrangers just do the drum corps adaptations. And yes to Phillip Sparke.

<3

no no -- Cadets can't have that idea -- I want Sparke for Crown!

i lost track of the thread I was posting in :-)

But commissioning a piece does get you the performance rights !!

If you were able to plan ahead well enough, you could just have original works by current composers flowing in every season.

Who would you pick?

Maybe Eric Whitacre for Cadets! Man THAT would be interesting!

Edited by corpsband

no no -- Cadets can't have that idea -- I want Sparke for Crown!

i lost track of the thread I was posting in :-)

But commissioning a piece does get you the performance rights !!

If you were able to plan ahead well enough, you could just have original works by current composers flowing in every season.

Who would you pick?

omg the possibilities.

I absolutely Michael Daugherty. But not the "Niagra Falls" "Bells for Stokowski" Daugherty but the "Raise the Roof" type Daugherty.

• Like 1

omg the possibilities.

I absolutely Michael Daugherty. But not the "Niagra Falls" "Bells for Stokowski" Daugherty but the "Raise the Roof" type Daugherty.

The cool thing about all those brass band guys is that you need almost no arranging. In fact they'd probably write the parts for your instrumentation. But yeah so many wind composers. Did you see my edit above (Whitacre) ?

• Like 1

The cool thing about all those brass band guys is that you need almost no arranging. In fact they'd probably write the parts for your instrumentation. But yeah so many wind composers. Did you see my edit above (Whitacre) ?

Indeed. I always enjoy hearing his stuff.

And yeah, I've played in my universities brass band, albeit as a percussionist, the past three years and those pieces specifically for that idiom can translate SO easily, and definitely sound very Cadets-esque. Instrumentation is very similar, especially now that we have the brass instrumentation all available.

I'm shocked at how civilized and chill this thread is so far.

I see Whitacre being a better fit for SCV, honestly. Calm, stately but still wondrous, etc.

I kinda want to see Cadets do another flight show. Along the lines of '92, but different music. Off the top of my head, Mackey's "Turbine" (because Cadets have trombones and use them well and I want to hear those smears on a drum corps field now that you can use trombones), and "1000 Airplanes on the Roof." And since George is a United guy, throw "Rhapsody in Blue" in, too.

...this is not my most well-thought-out show idea. Let me go digging through some of my DCPI stuff (though much of that is things corps have done before, unfortunately--and the stuff that isn't definitely doesn't fit Cadets, e.g. Mars Volta).

Edited by ftwdrummer