Cadets 2017

37 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

No joke, I thought the overall show design of 2006 was loads better than 2005. The execution just wasn't there.

I can't agree with 2006 design being better than 2005. 2005 was a masterpiece. I did not like the 2006 show, but the one thing they were really successful at was drawing the audiences attention to where they wanted it, which I thought was pretty brilliant. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

lemme tell you about how 2006 is an underappreciated classic!

Did you march Cadets 2006?

14 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

No joke, I thought the overall show design of 2006 was loads better than 2005. The execution just wasn't there.

ok here we go

2005 was possibly the most stacked corps ever, talent wise. Since 2005 had so many age-outs, 2006 was young in every caption; 70 Cadet rookies (out of 135). The tuba section in 2005 had 7 Cadets vets (out of ten); the 2006 secion had 3. Surprisingly, considering the 2005 result, there were recruiting problems. A lot of people came up from Magic of Orlando, and the culture was very different there. It's a testament to the Cadet Way that the next year's corps was one of the all-time monsters.

This young corps was tasked with essentially advancing drum corps show design a decade. Sully had pretty much free reign, and it was out there. So many of the things in that show have become almost required elements now: large and numerous props, weird uniforms, singing, a story, seemless blending between pieces, questionable costume choices, mixing genres including pop music (do you remember that the beginning of the closer was actually Bernstein?, and long sections with no drill.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the as-designed version, which I would say was most closely achieved around Indianapolis (early July that year, way before LOS). A lot of things were changed and made the show more "normal." For example, the entire beginning wasn't supposed to be the same as 2005, but a totally different piece in a different tempo while we marched 2005 closer drill. A cool-sounding idea from Sully which just didn't work (actually that would be a good alternate show title). Almost impossible for 100 people to listen to music in one tempo and have good foot timing in a totally different one, and the judges didn't get it anyway.

Took a big gamble on having a very long section without brass, which didn't pay off.  If you could give it--the original June version, mind you-to ScoJo to do some key but important tweaks, let BD perform it to their standard and it wins. Prop construction and execution, uniform additions, choreography, audio systems etc. weren't where they needed to be.

It was also during a weird intermediate phase (2004-2008) where pit amplification was legal, but electronic instruments and pre-recorded samples were not. This means that all the "narration" elements were live (for better or worse) and some of the popular music elements could/would be approached differently today. 

2 minutes ago, FTNK said:

ok here we go

2005 was possibly the most stacked corps ever, talent wise. Since 2005 had so many age-outs, 2006 was young in every caption; 70 Cadet rookies (out of 135). The tuba section in 2005 had 7 Cadets vets (out of ten); the 2006 secion had 3. Surprisingly, considering the 2005 result, there were recruiting problems. A lot of people came up from Magic of Orlando, and the culture was very different there. It's a testament to the Cadet Way that the next year's corps was one of the all-time monsters.

This young corps was tasked with essentially advancing drum corps show design a decade. Sully had pretty much free reign, and it was out there. So many of the things in that show have become almost required elements now: large and numerous props, weird uniforms, singing, a story, seemless blending between pieces, questionable costume choices, mixing genres including pop music (do you remember that the beginning of the closer was actually Bernstein?, and long sections with no drill.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the as-designed version, which I would say was most closely achieved around Indianapolis (early July that year, way before LOS). A lot of things were changed and made the show more "normal." For example, the entire beginning wasn't supposed to be the same as 2005, but a totally different piece in a different tempo while we marched 2005 closer drill. A cool-sounding idea from Sully which just didn't work (actually that would be a good alternate show title). Almost impossible for 100 people to listen to music in one tempo and have good foot timing in a totally different one, and the judges didn't get it anyway.

Took a big gamble on having a very long section without brass, which didn't pay off.  If you could give it--the original June version, mind you-to ScoJo to do some key but important tweaks, let BD perform it to their standard and it wins. Prop construction and execution, uniform additions, choreography, audio systems etc. weren't where they needed to be.

It was also during a weird intermediate phase (2004-2008) where pit amplification was legal, but electronic instruments and pre-recorded samples were not. This means that all the "narration" elements were live (for better or worse) and some of the popular music elements could/would be approached differently today. 

It's no wonder you didn't like marching that show. I remember thinking they could have done a better job with the whole concept. There were many parts of the show I did like however. But just like with a lot of movie sequels, most drum corps sequels aren't really that successful. 

8 minutes ago, FTNK said:

ok here we go

Thanks for this. I knew none of this. What a great idea to play a different piece to the closing 2005 drill. 

I just listened to 2005 last night while walking the dog, and 1991 and 1996. Not to get off topic, but 1996 is one of my most favorite Cadet shows - good fun. Underrated IMO.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Right? The criticism has been toned down recently, but I always laugh when someone pretends BD is criticism free 

I certainly will be critical of BD when I feel it is warranted, but I do not feel as free to criticize The Cadets.

Edited by jjeffeory

9 minutes ago, FTNK said:

1:49-3:51 is some classic Cadets stuff! Can't say we didn't run and gun. Kinda makes me feel ill remembering repping half of that piece over and over :laughing:

So beautiful. Controlled fabulousness. I always felt Cadets started to overdo the run n gun especially under Jeff. At a certain point, it gets sloppy looking. Tubas looked great.