Cadets 2017

2 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

One notice tonight, but the robes in the first act give a real Ventures feel!  If the Ventures can win a title with skirts, then surely the Cadets can win with robes!

I loved the Ventures

i miss the Ventures!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

One notice tonight, but the robes in the first act give a real Ventures feel!  If the Ventures can win a title with skirts, then surely the Cadets can win with robes!

I think the robes would be problematic if they were worn for the entire show but for the time worn, once the corps is clean, they will certainly give a gliding look to the Brass and it really does get the kids into character.

43 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It's one of their most talented lines and pits ever so it is a very odd and or surprising score. Let's see how they do in a week or so. 

Was retention high despite the design and staff departures? Or are they new and happen to form a talented group?

54 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I think the cadets are going to be just fine

I agree, Cadets will be just fine.  It's been a few years since I seen so much potential for growth in a Cadet show without major rewrites planned.  Now do what you didn't have a chance to do last season---start cleaning your show.  Go Cadets!!

Fan of the Arts

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I think the robes would be problematic if they were worn for the entire show but for the time worn, once the corps is clean, they will certainly give a gliding look to the Brass and it really does get the kids into character.

Did you notice the footwear? Really cool!!!

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

I agree, Cadets will be just fine.  It's been a few years since I seen so much potential for growth in a Cadet show without major rewrites planned.  Now do what you didn't have a chance to do last season---start cleaning your show.  Go Cadets!!

Fan of the Arts

Amazing the difference when you're cleaning all summer and not rewriting multiple times up until end of July.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Was retention high despite the design and staff departures? Or are they new and happen to form a talented group?

It's a combination of things

yes retention was fine

last year they had all rookies in the tenor line for example

this year three of five are vets and the other two extremely strong newbs

The pit is wicked loaded as are the snares 

5 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Battery high, pit just a gazillion talented kids that auditioned.

Hey Cadetland ... just stopping by to say I like the show. True to Bernstein's original, and so much more cohesive than last year. I think this show has legs. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

Fan of the Arts

This. There are certainly a fair number of corps that I usually enjoy more than The Cadets, but I have to give credit where credit is due, and last year amazed me with their august execution levels after spending so so so much of the season on rewrites and full spectrum design changes. The fact that they were as clean as they were with such a hindering season and progression of events gives me great ideas about how good they'll be on a season not overtaken by rewrites, with as much time to clean as the other corps in their neighborhood.

• Like 2