Cadets 2017

23 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I always thought of Rocky Point as a Cadet thing.

Not a Gino thing.

Since Jim Prime's arrangement in '82 and ff, Michael Klesch's tweeks on that arrangement for lot use based on the different instrumentation of his line and time. Both Dr. Shanefield and Mr. Terry of current Brass staff learned to whet their Cadet chops on RPH. Bocooks first and second arrangements were not automatically accepted by alums who marched 83-87 legacy corps. To the mms it was always a touch with the renewal of the corps since Dr. Santo took over. But different lot pieces are chosen by staff not just to psyche out the line but to develop and re-inforce specific musical skills. I am sure along the way, Dr. Shanefield will return RPH for the skills needed then and his arrangement will be interesting.

My experience is that the experts who come later, whether they be big donors or one year DMs, sometimes rag out traditions that pre existed their arrival. So sad whether such experts are mocking Mass ("a joke") or a legacy song. It's like telling SCV to drop Send in the Clowns or Cavaliers to drop Rainbow. Such moments for bonding past and present are what makes drum corps special.........not who writes the biggest check to get the director's ears. 

Edited by xandandl

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Since Jim Prime's arrangement in '82 and ff, Michael Klesch's tweeks on that arrangement for lot use based on the different instrumentation of his line and time. Both Dr. Shanefield and Mr. Terry of current Brass staff learned to whet their Cadet chops on RPH. Bocooks first and second arrangements were not automatically accepted by alums who marched 83-87 legacy corps. To the mms it was always a touch with the renewal of the corps since Dr. Santo took over. But different lot pieces are chosen by staff not just to psyche out the line but to develop and re-inforce specific musical skills. I am sure along the way, Dr. Shanefield will return RPH for the skills needed then and his arrangement will be interesting.

My experience is that the experts who come later, whether they be big donors or one year DMs, sometimes rag out traditions that pre existed their arrival. So sad whether such experts are mocking Mass ("a joke") or a legacy song. It's like telling SCV to drop Send in the Clowns or Cavaliers to drop Rainbow. Such moments for bonding past and present are what makes drum corps special.........not who writes the biggest check to get the director's ears. 

Missed the point, again!

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Yes, you are not always a clear communicator with linear logic. Yelling doesn't make it right.

No one is yelling my man 

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

No one is yelling my man 

And disagreement with your quasi infalibillity or Sam's snarky posts (in general) doesn't automatically mean posters here are too dumb to get your wisdom.

Good bye.

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

And disagreement with your quasi infalibillity or Sam's snarky posts (in general) doesn't automatically mean posters here are too dumb to get your wisdom.

Good bye.

I'm driving 

Like others said I always remembered rocky point as a cadet thing before gino was even there hope they bring it back maybe next season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Missed the point, again!

What exactly is the point? 

If it's a Cadet thing, why should it be retired lol. I don't see the continuation of it as unfair to the new staff at all, it's just tradition 

• Like 2

Argumentative bunch. Geez

ever think that during a three year Bernstein celebration a hype piece by another composer might not make sense? 

Maybe a massive choral sounding arrangement of "Somewhere" would be more appropriate?! 

• Like 1